• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkdave

[track_prep] Latest Pics Of My Laser Green 205 Rally Car

pugpete1108
you can just hear the tunes.

i used 35mm battery cable, the positive goes all the way to the starter motor and then has another link to the power box and alternator. The negative lead goes through a isolator switch in the dash then to the earth on the passenger side inner wing, then an earth strap to the top of the gearbox.

you can use thinner cable but i wanted to use the biggest possible to prevent voltage drop. also you can earth it to the boot floor beside the battery but a mate of mine who did had alot of trouble!

it went on the rollers at bogg brothers yesterday and got 155bhp at the wheels! all i really know is that it ripped a 180bhp leon turbo to bits today on a back road!

cheers mate i was thinking bigger is better and isolating the negative is a good idea , is that better than doing the pos.? i should think i will go the same route as you.

and who gives a sh*t what the rollers say, the proof is in the pudding right? as long as i keeps a smile on your face B)

Edp

That rocker cover is cool! and the stealth xld badges look trick too. The bodywork looks in really good nick. How many miles has it done?

yorkdave

in terms of engine mods, it is fully rebuilt alloy mi, with new shells, liners,rings, etc. Then piper reground cams, three angle valve seats, R1 bike carbs and a lightened and balanced bottom end!

the shell has been stripped bare and then had a full respray inside and out. has just clocked past 93k (all though only the shell has done that, to be honest everything else is brand new or refurbed)

Don't know whether its better to isolate pos or neg, i kust know when you work on the car you should always remove the neg cable, so i worked off this principle.

Edited by yorkdave

JamieTonks

Looks fantastic that. Not to sure about the rocker but each to there own. Who made you manifold for the carbs?

jack biscuit

Lovely job sir! And i like others, love the fish!!

Guest rick03054

Looks great mate! :blush:

You should get an expansion tank that looks like a fishbowl to go with the rocker :D

yorkdave

all the carb work was done by bogg brothers.

laser green 1.9

Good work Dave, I'll have to come and see it in the flesh some time. :wacko:

XLD that is class!

can just see the traffic light sprint now as mr paxo westcoast pulls up behind with carfull of spotty herbets

BWAAAAARTP

"ere kev that was quick for a diesel innit..... wheres he gone?"

yorkdave

i have just had some number plates made up today, they are standard looking with "i rally my diesel" written along the bottom!

futura
i have just had some number plates made up today, they are standard looking with "i rally my diesel" written along the bottom!

:huh:

gats15

Looks very cool, green coloured 205`s are the rarest and best colours

Rik

Dave: Quick question about teh seat runners -

What thickness are the plates you have used?

Also what are the cross sectional dimensions & thickness of the box section you've used?

I'm doing a similar job to yourself only a diff. colour!

Do you have any info on where you seam welded and how?

Rik

yorkdave

rik-the double plates are 100mm by 100mm steel squares i think they where 5mm thick, i then used oxy-acetalyne to warm the plates and bend them to shape using various sized 3/4 drive sockets to bend the metal round (it was a very time consuming job, but worth it). then i think the box section is 25mm by 50mm, then where i drilled holes for the bolts i welded in some tube to prevent the box from squashing together. has been in along time now with no problems so far. the only thing i found is that i made the two sections of box totally level with a spirt level and then had to spacer the front of the runners up abit for a comfortable seating position, if i made them again i would mount the front section of box 5mm higher than the rears.

i just seam welded everything to be honest, i went right round the boot, down both inner sills then seam welded rather than stitch welded the bulk head to floor seam.

any more questions just pm me.

dodsworth_gti

she is definatly a smart motor dave!!!!

wish i could still make a bwaarrpp noise :unsure:

DaveW

Nice Car, class rocker cover and xld badge is top draw :lol: Oh some vids are needed of the sound of carbs :unsure:

Billy_boy

man that rocker cover is craaazy, but i like it alot! :o

Rik

Dave - thanks for the reply - only just noticed it!!

How did you remove the original seatrails? By drilling the spot welds or angle grinder?

Any tips as i've made a big hole already trying to drill a spot weld - even with the correct drill bit!

Rik