• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrblonde

1.9 Mods

mrblonde

hi ya.i wanna do some engine work to my standard 1.9.what sort of mods could i do that would be worth it with theses budgets please.

-£1000

-£2000

i have also thought about an mi16 conversion.but i wanna keep the 1.9 engine in really.

thanks

(also if theres anyone in the essex area who has had engine mods done,who would like to take me out in theres to show me what there pug is like so i can get some ideas)

Ahl

Why don't you want to get an mi16 engine? It really makes no sense to spend that amount of cash on a 1.9 unless you have to due to race regulations or something.

jonD6B

A quick search will bring up LOTS of threads on this but the general concensus is that head work and carbs would be the way forward on a 1.9.

mrblonde

i would like the mi16 def,it just seems a lot of work

Ahl

Its a lot harder to strip and modify an engine than it is to drop another one in, and a 1.9 needs a heck of a lot of modifying before you'll see any decent gains.

The mi16 is basically as easy to work on as a 1.9. Its also more flexible, starts off with much more power and gains much more power for similar modifications.

hengti

it's got no torque though has it?!! :D:P

Ahl
it's got no torque though has it?!! :D:P

Keep telling yourself that! :D

hengti

:P

it's down to what you want out of the car when all's said and done

std Mi doesn't have as much mid range shove as the std 8v - can't argue w/that

personally, I like the (admittedly relatively limited) shove of the std 8v - i don't want to be wringing the engine round to 7k all the time

the 16v engine changes the nature of the car in my opinion. fair enough if you're only after performance; i'm personally much happier with the driveablility of the 8v

plus I can't afford an Mi :D

damn

Edited by hengti

mrblonde

what about getting parts for the mi16 enigine?

Ahl

Thats nonsense.

Have you ever properly compared the two?

The standard mi has more torque than the 8v right throughout the rev range and has a whole lot more extra power after 4000rpm.

To say its less drivable is utter nonsense, but it sounds good if you've only got a 8v. :D

[edit] parts for the mi16 are as easy to get as 8v parts. Its not a special engine or anything, its pretty much the same but with a different cylinder head.

hengti

'only got an 8v'?! :D

i can see this descending quickly!

sure it's been covered a million times before; this is only my personal opinion - I'm perfectly entitled to that tyvm :P

due to the nature of the design and efficiency of 16v engines, they generally produce less lown down torque (but more power) than 8vs - but you knew that already

Mr Blonde - if you want much more power (or torque!) out of an 8v, you've got to spend major moolah on head, cam, throttle bodies and carbs

If you want an easy fix, just stick an Mi in - everyone else seems to ...

jonD6B
'only got an 8v'?! :D

i can see this descending quickly!

sure it's been covered a million times before; this is only my personal opinion - I'm perfectly entitled to that tyvm :D

due to the nature of the design and efficiency of 16v engines, they generally produce less lown down torque (but more power) than 8vs - but you knew that already

Mr Blonde - if you want much more power (or torque!) out of an 8v, you've got to spend major moolah on head, cam, throttle bodies and carbs

If you want an easy fix, just stick an Mi in - everyone else seems to ...

:D

I personally prefer the characteristics of the 8V lump but as said an MI conversion is a very good cost efficient performance upgrade. I find the waiting for a kick up the arse frustrating though (personally). :P

j_turnell

Soooooooooooooo, back to the topic.

There are lots of options tbh. Best start with some headwork 3 angle seats and some porting, speak to Matt at QEP bought that, he will also give cam options such as the catcam 279 etc. Get a set of twin 45s as standard injection wont cope with the cam. Maybe some double valve springs and ARP rod bolts then it should be good for 7k Power wise i'd imagine around the 150-160 mark.

Banjo

1.9 bottom end with xu10 head, massive cam, mappable ignition and 45s.

I've got an mi and an 8v and do love the instant any gear shove of the 8v but when you put your foot down in an mi and it takes off and keeps going and going and the noise... :D

Ben

Edited by Banjo

aeinstein

why not a turbo?

and thats not just cos i'm selling one! lol

al

Ahl

All thats great, but to get the 150-160 out of an 8v you'll need seriously good port shapes and that'll cost a packet, in addition to the carbs/tb's, cams etc. If you started with the mi and did the same you'd have an extra 60hp on top of that.

I do indeed, except that the mi16's still produce more torque than the 8v from idle! ;)

One concession is that the mi's have a dip in the midrange, while the 8'v don't, but this seems to be induced and not a mechanical characteristic. They still have more torque even so. :P

pacey205

Gotta agree with Al here, someone (may have been MattSav) posted up some graphs ages ago which showed that the Mi produces as much torque as an 8v low down and more above about 4K. So although it may feel less powerfull because of the more noticeable surge of power from 4K its all in your head.

In fact I had a vid somewhere of a 1.98v and a 1.916V racing from a standing start and you could physically see when the Mi hit 4Ksih as it pulled away in a much more convincing fashion.

Back on topic as to mods an Mi is a cheaper method to go down than tuning the 8V although it is possible to get very high figures out of them as long as you throw alot of cash at it, Miles's racer that was in PPP being a prime example.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

mrblonde

wicked lads,thanks for you info.i think i will go down the mi road,but saying that a turbo 1.9 would be good.but i hear thats a lot of work??..saying that my engine at the mo is really healthy i think??..its had a compression test giving 195ft/ibs +/-3lbs across all cylinders.is that good ;) ?..and pulls lovely.as for a standard 1.9.how far can you go for top end speed before going into the danger zone!? :P

Edited by mrblonde

petert
std Mi doesn't have as much mid range shove as the std 8v - can't argue w/that

The garbage stops here. Work it out for yourselves:

Edited by petert

engine killer

excuse me, what does "sans colant" stand for? i guess it means weight, am i correct?

but a few week ago i just weighted both my 8V and Mi, the difference is not too great. 8V is around 90kg with alternator and coil pack, Mi is about 95kg with alternator. both were drained. any correction?

pacey205

'sans volant' translates on worldlingo as 'without wheel' so I would assum it means without the flywheel attached.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

S33GAV

Get a passenger ride in an MI and then see what you think. I personally wouldn't have a standard 205 gti, just not quick enough for me. I was addicted once I drove the MI for the first time.

hengti
The garbage stops here. Work it out for yourselves:

I am eating my Burberry cap! :)

not sure quite why this seems to have so rattled some people

realise alot of people on here have Mi engined cars - my opinion (and it is only that) is based on personal experience of (admittedly just the one) std Mi engined car - which i didn't feel had as much low end grunt as the std car. I've spoken with a few people over the years who shared the same opinion.

these figures clearly show that, atleast as far as the engine in isolation is concerned, this shouldn't be the case

maybe the one i drove wasn't in the best of health; maybe gearing is more of an issue (no idea what was fitted to the car i drove); maybe the nature of the delivery of the 16v engine gives you the different sensation

dunno

mrblonde

anyone in essex fancy taking us out in there mi16??...so i can see what all the fuss is about.

jonD6B
I am eating my Burberry cap! :)

not sure quite why this seems to have so rattled some people

realise alot of people on here have Mi engined cars - my opinion (and it is only that) is based on personal experience of (admittedly just the one) std Mi engined car - which i didn't feel had as much low end grunt as the std car. I've spoken with a few people over the years who shared the same opinion.

these figures clearly show that, atleast as far as the engine in isolation is concerned, this shouldn't be the case

maybe the one i drove wasn't in the best of health; maybe gearing is more of an issue (no idea what was fitted to the car i drove); maybe the nature of the delivery of the 16v engine gives you the different sensation

dunno

The power increase at 4k(ish) does give the feeling of hesitation before hand as with an 8V you get used to a similar amount of grunt throughout the rev. range. Also, facts and figures don't really mean much to me as it's how the car feels to drive and what satisfaction it returns that matter IMO. I have to agree with Hengti on prefering the 8V for drivability and don't believe that an 8V/16V arguement can arise from this thread as we all have our preferences.

8V

8V

8V :)

Sign in to follow this