• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Rear Drums

wildejon

Hi all,

I'm currently struggling to remove my rear drums, I've been at them with a hammer for a while and nothing seems to be happening... :D

I was wondering if anyone had any luck sticking a screwdriver in one of the bolt holes and pulling back the shoes as described in the Haynes manual? I've never actually seen the inside of a drum (except in photos on here) and I'm not sure what I need to be pressing!

Any advice would be welcome :P

I have done a search and not found any threads where anyone has mentioned actually being successful with this method!

smckeown

bang from the rear also using a screwdriver on the lip

wildejon

I've only really been using a screwdriver on the lip, what bit do I hit on the rear? Just the rear of the bit that doesn't come off?

Thanks! :D

Like the vids on your site btw, I'll get there with mine one day!

smckeown

yeah use the hammer on the drum that comes off, use various points round the drum.

wildejon

Cheers mate,

I'll give it a go now, no idea what to expect inside... Sure it ain't going to be pretty!!

d-9

Stick a screwdriver through the bolt hole and wack it with a hammer to release the handbrake adjuster, this backs the pads off enough so you can get the drum off if theyve work a lip on the drum. Forget which bolt hole but bottom front rings a vauge bell.

Undo the hub nut.

Stick a big pry bar between the drum and the backplate and rotate it as much as you can. Now wack the other side of the drum with a lump hammer and keep altenating pry bar positions, by turning the pry bar your forcingthe drum as far forward as possible so wacking it with a hammer will jerk it forwards a little. Just hitting it with a hammer is pretty inefectual.

Dan Ingram

I'v found that levering one side with a pry bar and tapping the other side with a hammer works well, and then just work your round the drum.

tagy

they are a pain to get off, I have the drum remover tool from halfords, which does the job.

pug_ham
Stick a screwdriver through the bolt hole and wack it with a hammer to release the handbrake adjuster, this backs the pads off enough so you can get the drum off if theyve work a lip on the drum.

Undo the hub nut.

This only works on Bendix rear brakes afaik, Girling rears have a different adjustment method (top not bottom of shoes & hooks round them) & never managed to do this.

I've hit to outside of the drum & turned the drum occasionally to get the drum off before on Girlings.

Main thing is remove the hubnut though. ;)

Graham.

wildejon

It's been hammering it down all day so I've put it off until Tuesday probably. Hub nut is off, it's just the drum...

I'll give those a go but looking through the bolt holes it does appear to be Girling.

Cheers for your help, I reckon I'll get it sorted.

Thanks!

pug_ham

Might be like the ones on my STDT & seized on the stub axle.

I need a suitable puller to get the drums off to refit the handbrake cable which fell outof the drum!! when I rebuilt the beam. ;)

Graham.

wildejon

Lets hope not eh?! If it doesn't budge with me and my Dad hammering away at it, I'll probably have to try that.

Looking at lowering it soon too, probably involve lots of bits requiring replacing on the beam too, but thats another topic...

Cheers mate

Rippthrough

I screw a pair of wheel bolts back in and pull on those while giving the side a kick, usually does it.

wildejon

I hadn't thought of that, I'll try that too. Hopefully it won't be raining later and I can give it a go. Sure I'll be straight back on here asking what to do next!

Cheers

Jon

jonah

I just bolt the whole wheel back onto the drum and gave that a good kick from the inside. Just make sure you're not lying under the car doing that when you kick it off the stands! :D

I've managed to get the Haynes method to work too.... but it's very tricky, you need to know exactly where to poke the screwdriver and which way to lever it to get it to work. You've got to push part of the mechanism inwards and then backwards, it's difficult to explain. You really need to have the drum off to see what to do the first time, so kind of Catch 22! You also have to slacken off the handbrake cables first.

wildejon

Right, I've tried everything bar putting the wheel back on and kicking it.

Has anyone ever used a slide hammer for this purpose? I'm thinking of either getting one or maybe a puller but I'm worried that a puller might drag the shoes with it and knacker the rest of the innards...

I really don't want to resort to taking it to a garage.

(They are definitely Girlings btw)

tagy

13916.jpg

thats the tool I use to get my drums off, I dont think it would pull the shoes out as long as the handbrake is loose.

wildejon

That seems pretty sensible, did you make it or buy it?

Cheers!

888rmb

The shoes adjust themselves up into the groove into the drum, making it very difficult (as you have found out) to get off. If you do knacker the shoes taking the drum off, I think Halfords (and probably most other motor factors) do a kit with all the little springs and clips in. They normally fly off into a field or dark corner of the garage anyway when you are trying to reassemble the shoes.

pug_ham

You buy thopse pullers, I'm going to get one very soon so I can reconnect my handbrake before the MOT is due.

A similar style is available from Machine mart for £20.

MM040211902c.jpg

Same style is probably cheaper but they didn't list it on the website.

Do a google search for hub pullers & you'll find the same style as posted by tagy for less than £10.

Graham.

wildejon

Cool, thanks for your input everyone. I've got the day off tomorrow to try and sort it. If I'm on here asking more questions tomorrow night I think you can assume I will not be a happy bunny!

Jon

Revla
Cool, thanks for your input everyone. I've got the day off tomorrow to try and sort it. If I'm on here asking more questions tomorrow night I think you can assume I will not be a happy bunny!

Jon

Nip over to Rose Auto's Jon.... they'll do one at a good price :blush:

wildejon

I'll go after work, cheers mate.

Any idea what the pitch between the bolts is? :-)

Revla
I'll go after work, cheers mate.

Any idea what the pitch between the bolts is? :-)

Same as a Ford!! Not sure why you need to know, puller should be on slots as per Pics?

wildejon

Only 'cos I had a look online and the one I saw said suitable for 100-105 mm pitch, thought it would be worth asking.

I guessed the slots weren't big enough to cover all cars, no idea really though. Anyway, cheers mate, I'll give it a go.

Sign in to follow this