• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

Pug 405 V6?

d-9

I only picked audi because the guy in the first post said he wanted it to be more like an audi! Theres plenty of big sporty saloons that are much better in most respects (build quality, comfort, reliability, handling,performance) than a 405 and when was the last time you heard ''fantastic handling'' and "405" in the same sentence :)

Im all in favour of building interesting cars, but you could buy something to do the job a hell of a lot better, a lot cheaper than building a 405 v6, or even buy a 406 v6 if your determined to keep the peugeot blinkers on.

Back on topic briefly, could you fit an mi16 flywheel and box to the 24v v6? Hilgie, got any pics or info on your conversion?

Edited by d-9

KRISKARRERA
when was the last time you heard ''fantastic handling'' and "405" in the same sentence :)
They handle fine, as good as a 205 when you consider the extra weight. Where's PeterT?

d-9

Theyre good but not amazing, my mates e34 was loads better. The problem is everone has got their peugeot blinkers on and seems to think that because the 205 is a the best car in its class, it automatically makes everything else that pug have made, the best.

KRISKARRERA

No I actually think so much praise is heaped on the 205 that it's become overrated.

SPetrie

As both a 205gti driver and a 405 mi16 driver i have to say...... the 405 does handle well, very much like a bigger more comfortable 205. There may be many other cars from that era that are as good if not better, but if you spend a bit of time behind the wheel of a mi16 (405) it sort of "gets" you, like a 205 does, it's hard to explain if you haven't got one. Their numbers have been decimated by people nicking their engines so they are becoming rare now. And also they're not ugly like Audis!

Stu

Edited by SPetrie

Hilgie
could you fit an mi16 flywheel and box to the 24v v6?

Hilgie, got any pics or info on your conversion?

- no, the engine sits under a different angle as the XU range so you have to stick with the gearbox it comes with in the 406.

- yes I do (a whole lot in fact), but I do not want to publish on the internet until the car is officially revealed at a dutch carshow on May 7 and 8 (FullSpeed Rosmalen).

d-9
- no, the engine sits under a different angle as the XU range so you have to stick with the gearbox it comes with in the 406.

- yes I do (a whole lot in fact), but I do not want to publish on the internet until the car is officially revealed at a dutch carshow on May 7 and 8 (FullSpeed Rosmalen).

Cheers :) Very interested in how you overcame the engine mounting issues with this, but I can wait a few months, not like I have any time or money at the moment!

petert
I only picked audi because the guy in the first post said he wanted it to be more like an audi! Theres plenty of big sporty saloons that are much better in most respects (build quality, comfort, reliability, handling,performance) than a 405 and when was the last time you heard ''fantastic handling'' and "405" in the same sentence ;)

There was a time when the Mi16 held the crown of the best handling 4 door, front wheel drive car, in the world. Then of course along came the Mi16x4. I can't think of any 2L normally aspirated car of that era that was better.

Rippthrough
I only picked audi because the guy in the first post said he wanted it to be more like an audi! Theres plenty of big sporty saloons that are much better in most respects (build quality, comfort, reliability, handling,performance) than a 405 and when was the last time you heard ''fantastic handling'' and "405" in the same sentence :lol:

How about in virtually every review of them?

Go drive one before you slag them off. And they are bloody well screwed together too now you come to it, and mines more comfortable than the old audi was, mainly due to the seats though.

Edited by Rippthrough

d-9

Ive driven one a lot over the years, Dad owned one from 2 years old to about 6 months ago when the HG went and did about 140000miles in it, I was always impressed how much girp it had for a big car, but compared to the other big sports saloons you can pick up for £1000-2000 the 405 is totally classed. For example the e34 BMW has massivly better steering feedback, more grip, much better gearchange, better clutch action, etc etc.

Kitch

Interesting debate. I have to say I'm very impressed with the 405 Mi's handling. To say an E34 is better is lunacy! They're big heavy fat barges which wallow around, and the only positve thing they've got going handling-wise is the RWD layout!

I also agree that the 205 is overrated now....very much so. People seem to forget the 309 GTi and ZX 16v handle better anyway...well in my humble opinion :lol:

Edited by Kitch

Rippthrough
Ive driven one a lot over the years, Dad owned one from 2 years old to about 6 months ago when the HG went and did about 140000miles in it, I was always impressed how much girp it had for a big car, but compared to the other big sports saloons you can pick up for £1000-2000 the 405 is totally classed. For example the e34 BMW has massivly better steering feedback, more grip, much better gearchange, better clutch action, etc etc.

The only thing I have found with better steering feel than the fourbie is an MX-5, and the 405 runs it close there. It would outgrip the 5 all day long though.

jackherer
I also agree that the 205 is overrated now....very much so. People seem to forget the 309 GTi and ZX 16v handle better anyway...well in my humble opinion :huh:

easier to drive does not necessarily equal better handling :lol:

Kitch

Agreed there. Although I don't agree with the point you're trying to make.

Rippthrough

I thought it was common knowledge that the 309 is accepted as marginally better handling?

Just doesn't appear to be as appealing as the 205 is. Personal I like the way they both look, but there you go.

Martin@PRD

Pmsl....The 309 Gti handles better because inexperienced drivers are scared to push the 205, due to the quick reaction you need to get it back, though this is only because of letting off or braking on corners in a short wheel base car.

I have had a 405 Phase2 MI16 and I loved it!!! Very very trustworthy handling a long the same lines of the 309, drifting is so much fun

I think a lot of people get mixed up with grip and handling, though I can proof a point has I have a g-tech sensor and have logged my 205 MI16 max cornering G at 1.3 and the 405 at 0.9 G. (on the road) I will try and up load the data.

d-9
Pmsl....The 309 Gti handles better because inexperienced drivers are scared to push the 205, due to the quick reaction you need to get it back, though this is only because of letting off or braking on corners in a short wheel base car.

Or what about experienced drivers on unknown roads? your in the wet, hit a corner that is longer and tighter than you expect, 205 breaks away, 309 will hold the line and come out of it. Only just managed to keep the 205 on the road as Id set the car up for a different corner to what the road did, my bad for reading it bad but I know I wouldnt have come out of it very sideways in a 309, Id have backed off a little, corrected and not needed lots of oposite lock.

Martin@PRD

I think a lot of that comes down to the experance with each car, 205's with 195 tyres in my experance are far too nervous in the wet and the ability to pull it straight with the throttle is non-excitant. Though I never push a 205 in the wet as your asking for trouble

I have owned a fair few 309's and 205' s over the years and I agree the 309 handling is more fun and trustworthy as losing the back end doesnt require the immediate requirement of the throttle to level it out, as like in a 205 quick pedal work of the throttle and the dabbing of the brake is needed (Toe and heel). The 205 has a dreadfully rep. for being tail happy, though time and time again I find this out to be a bad misinterpretation as people will not be told fitting just lowering spring, knackered rear beams and letting off will course seriously bad oversteer.

On the other hand a 309 being longer wheelbase will have less turn in turn out ability than a 205 and changing direction quickly the 309 soon gets caught out, this is why you dont see any long wheelbase go-karts.

Here are a few pictures I have gathered over the years of customers and friends moaning about over steer in the 205 gti

DS__CF0045.jpg

100_6926.jpg

I have just bought a 309 gti so as soon as it comes dry I will do a G-tech data log.

Rippthrough
On the other hand a 309 being longer wheelbase will have less turn in turn out ability than a 205 and changing direction quickly the 309 soon gets caught out, this is why you dont see any long wheelbase go-karts.

But it also has a wider track to compensate.

Agree with all the oversteer comments though, the amount of stories I've heard of 205's, 106 & saxo's spinning mid-corner, although usually it's following "I lifted off just to slow down a bit.."

Batfink

well I drove Dug's old 309 and the car handled better than the 205 i had driven moments before. Much better weight distribution and better steering feel

As for outright grip I wouldnt have a clue.

Food for thought. An Audi A8 4.2v8 can be bought for as little as £1500

d-9

lol wait until you drive the new one :blush:

Edited by d-9

Batfink

can't wait :blush:

Sign in to follow this