• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

My Carbon Fibre Roof

Sam

But getting a roofskin, getting it changed, and painted up so that its not noticable is hardly going to cost £150 is it ?

it wouldnt be far off really

if you know someone in the trade it would be much less

ok not everyone does but even so it wouldnt cost much more

i actually do like the mod and would have no problem doing it, the only thing is do you need to support it if you replace a sliding glass sunroof hole?

Jonmurgie

You'd be hard pushed to get a roofskin, fitted and painted for uner £150!! I checked with Peugeot today and they can still get them at £105 + VAT so not that much, but it's the fitting and painting that's gonna cost...

I still run with my sunroof, though I should really get it sorted... now regretting selling the roof I bought ages ago!!

why would you need to buy a new skin? just look inthe scrappy for a 205 your colour

or if not why buy a peugeot genuine skin?

anyway its irrelevant you could do it for less than £150 if you really tried but the carbon roof looks good too :)

Jonmurgie

There's doing it... and there's doing it right :)

Paintguy

I tried not to get drawn in, but couldn't resist it after this:

why would you need to buy a new skin? just look inthe scrappy for a 205 your colour

It's not like replacing a bonnet or a door you know. Trying to unpick all the spot welds, seam welds and brazing without damaging the skin would be nigh on impossible. Even if it's salvagable, you'll still need to repair a few areas, and have at least the top half of the car painted to cover the welded/brazed/filled/sealed bits.

or if not why buy a peugeot genuine skin?

Highly unlikely that anyone except Pug would have manufactured skins. It's just not ecenomically viable for a pattern part company to tool up for such things. High volume parts like wings, bonnets, lamps etc, but not roof skins.

Not having a go fella, just setting the record straight :)

And I have to agree that the carbon roof seems quite a good idea from a weight saving point of view. Could be finished off a little better if I was being picky, but it does the job :)

Pugnut
And I have to agree that the carbon roof seems quite a good idea from a weight saving point of view. Could be finished off a little better if I was being picky, but it does the job :)

ok , so i'm almost at the stage where i'm ready to start fiddling with the sunroof . The car is getting resprayed so no problem there, and replacing the roofskin as you say looks a nasty task , if it isn't brazed its spotwelded every few inches .

so if YOU were to do this carbon fibre mod how would you do it??

cheers Al

no offence taken :)

ive seen a few rallycars done this way and they looked tidy enough, perhaps not so good for a roadcar though

i do remember flicking through a pattern suppliers book at work and seeing roofskins though, made by hadrian or similar?

anyway

Edited by 205007

Paintguy
so if YOU were to do this carbon fibre mod how would you do it??

Pretty much the same way really, I'm just being picky. But since you asked :)

I think I'd have to weld the sunroof frame in place to get rid of the line of bolts, then ideally MIG up the aerial holes, and flush a plate into the sunroof opening to prevent the slight sagging that can be seen. Seal the whole thing up with a coupe of coats of epoxy primer to prevent rust, then stick on the CF.

Of course, all that would add weight, so probably not the way most people would go. And also, once you've gone to those lengths, you might as well just blow some paint over it instead! :)

Once again, I'm not slagging it off DDUK, as it's done exactly what you wanted it to do. It's just that I tend to get a bit anal about the little details.

pdd144c

My mate has just had his roof changed, saw it for the first time yesterday. Looks like a good job, cost £110 for the panel and £250 cash for fitting/painting. So £150 for carbon or £360 for metal... I'll try and get him to pop along to the south meet, has a rather rude Longmans touring car spec 16v which will hopefully be mapped by then.

Sign in to follow this