• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

My Carbon Fibre Roof

Batfink
? Please explain...

I was looking at the picture of a trackday car with a fully stripped interior but then an extra roof glued on it. Therefore my question to the topic starter. At first I too thought it was a carbon fibre roof to loose weight and not an added roof.

My car isn't standard, it isn't supposed to be and I can't remember tellings others to do so. So please explain your reply. Otherwise I'll never get rid of this smell and get me some fresh air. It hurts my neck too you know...

i don't think its been you, so if theres a funny smell you might want to see a doctor :D

Theres been an air of high and mighty about though

As for your neck hurting.......hmmm

I agree with huckleberry I just dont get it. £150 to cover up a dented roof panel!

I personally would have spent the money else where, you could buy a full set of braided brake lines for that.

well a new roof panel would be £150 without labour and paint.....

personally i'd fancy making a mould out of a new roof, but how would you bond it to metal?

tom_m
but how would you bond it to metal?

really strong glue :D

driversdomainuk
I agree with huckleberry I just dont get it. £150 to cover up a dented roof panel!

I personally would have spent the money else where, you could buy a full set of braided brake lines for that.

Already have them too....

Of course one thing we are all forgetting, a carbon fibre roof will add at least around 20bhp at the wheels (errrr, in looks anyway!!)

Not doubt I will get asked loads of questions about it in the paddock at Loton Park soon, so I will have to make up some bulls*it about how I need it..

Edited by driversdomainuk

Col

youll get a beatdown for that pic size :D

driversdomainuk
Oh my god, nice fitting

http://www.driversdomainuk.com/includes/roof.JPG

straight line of bolts.

And all the dents is still there.

They are in a straight line - and evenly spaced, it is the way the photo is taken... The dents are not still there (except for the front), it is the fold of where the sun roof used to be.

It may not be perfect, but at the end of the day, it is a 16 yr old car, and there are many more around there which look much worse, and believe me, this is a massive improvement from before

DaveW

i love it your all such picky.....

god sake.

Gentrix

I like those wheels on your 309.

You are claiming they are from OZ - which ones are they - couldn´t find them in the OZ Range.

Guest Steen-S 309 GTI 16
I like those wheels on your 309.

You are claiming they are from OZ - which ones are they - couldn´t find them in the OZ Range.

Sorry this wrong info. It is 17" Foundmetal.

Powers

Too be honest that is a very good example of a gti-16. And why do these topics always get personal!

pug_ham

0.5kg's pf weight added ;) WTF!!.

Thats less difference than whether you go to the toilet or not before you go on track etc!!

Hell, why not.

That looks pretty cool.

Now on a Black car..........

Graham. :)

driversdomainuk
0.5kg's pf weight added ;) WTF!!.

Thats less difference than whether you go to the toilet or not before you go on track etc!!

Graham. :)

That is spot on. I think some people can get carried away with this weight thing. Not intending to insult anyone here, as I know there are some fast track drivers. But unless you are a professional competing at the top level, 0.5kg will make no difference.

I am also thinking about adding a black grill to complement the dark roof....what do you all think??

Rippthrough
That is spot on. I think some people can get carried away with this weight thing. Not intending to insult anyone here, as I know there are some fast track drivers. But unless you are a professional competing at the top level, 0.5kg will make no difference.

I am also thinking about adding a black grill to complement the dark roof....what do you all think??

Yeah but it is right a the top of the car,don't supposes it's enough to do anything noticable to the CoG though. :)

I think it would have been better if you removed the knackered bit of roof and then bonded it in, not too keen on the screws.

Looks ok though.

Jonmurgie

It's just some bloody sticky backed film, it's going to make about 1 millionth of a difference on a 205 to be honest.

Guest lenthepug

looks really good, might have to steal that idea for my 309!!

pugrallye

yeah that has tidied up roof no end, actually looks quite good! Got a kinda vinyl roof thing retroey feel to it

notamondayfan

i think its a cool mod, and wud look even beta on a black / metalic gray car. really discrete, and not usually seen. tis a bit pricey 4 my thing, but wud b ace 4 a show car.

pdd144c

Very nice. With regards to weight, surely using this to replace the standard sliding sunroof will see you lose weight? How much does the glass weight?! Think it would look sweet on my car with the dark wheels etc. go for the dark grill!

Maerten

I've been told the entire roof assembly weighs in at around 10 kg

I could also be wrong tho

i like it, and it would cover up a sunroof well too as someone else said

£150 though, not sure i like it that much

Dino
Very nice. With regards to weight, surely using this to replace the standard sliding sunroof will see you lose weight? How much does the glass weight?! Think it would look sweet on my car with the dark wheels etc. go for the dark grill!

Thats the most sensible thing anyone has said on this thread so far :) Oh and not forgetting Grahams comments :)

If I had a sunroof car then I think £150 to get rid of it and replace it with some cool as feck carbon fibre is money well spent :)

yeah but wouldnt you rather do it with a proper roof skin?

Sign in to follow this