• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Emerald Problems :(

Dream Weaver

Graham, measured both the CAS pins and the ECU loom plug pins and they both read 515ohms, so I know the shielded wire is fine. Only concern is that Karl said it should read between 600-1200ohms, although searching on Google for crank sensors show most get around 500ohms, so I'm confident the sensor is OK now.

It could be a faulty Emerald, not sure how common failures are on them, still waiting for a reply from Karl.

Dream Weaver

WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!! :D

Karl at Emerald sent me a great email, which made me go through the entire ECU setup with a fine tooth comb, and methodically work through the entire system to establish any problems.

The original CAS was at fault, but the new one (thanks Banjo) is fine, and it was me messing with the settings in between crank sensors that messed things up, the final problem?????

The bloody ECU immobiliser was activated!! :D

De-activated it, all readings were good from the CAS etc so turned the key. My heart sank as the LED remained red for a second, but then flicked to green, hooray!!

Managed to start it up, but could only run it for a few seconds as without an exhaust it sounded like a top fuel dragster :D

Only had seconds to look at everything, but oil pressure was up past half way and there were no fires or leaks, just a shame I cant hear from the noise, or breath from the fumes.

So, final preps to do and we can run the thing, just need some exhaust bolts now :D

BIG thank you to everyone on this thread, Banjo for the spare CAS and of course Karl at Emerald who gave me some great advice. I'll update my project thread next week when its all up and running.

Now....anyone got any running-in tips? ;)

Banjo

I ment to say that CAS worked fine on my car so is ok, well done on getting it running.

Are you using new cams? If not then i'd go with this as I have been told by quite a few very clever mechanics its the best way and it does make sence... Break In Secrets

Have fun!

Ben

Edited by Banjo

M3Evo

I've also heard a couple of experienced engine builders recommend that method on exactly the same grounds.

Unfortunately the first trip my freshly built engine needs to take is to an MOT station about a mile and a half away, in a 30 zone, on the flat ;)

Read some literature supplied by Cheverolet the other day on the topic of running in the other day. This said to start it up and let is fast idle for 20 mins.......That was it! :D

Dream Weaver

The Haynes for the BX 16V says exactly that, let it fast idle up to temperature then just run it in slowly.

It does have some Piper cams in, but not sure whether they are new to the rebuild or not.

Problem is, i'm impatient with driving so dont know if I will be able to help myself giving it full beans every now and then, though I have set the Emerald to limit at 5000RPM for now. :D

tom_m

thats GREAT news mate! you must be over the blooming moon!!! :D

16v205

:D:D:D Excellant news

Glad to hear its finally breathed into life, was just checking this thread before going outside to test the car. Have my multimeter in my hand from work aswell.

Have you got as far as booking it in for a mapping session yet? Ive still got my original map from the motorbike tb's, if your interested ill email it you.

Cheers

Rich

pug_ham

Nice one Simon, all sorted finally. Have you stopped grinning yet??

I was over the moon when I first tried my car after fitting the Motronic to it & it fired first try.

I'll have to try to get over & see it running soon.

Graham.

Robsbc

You said the immobiliser was activated at the beginning of this post....I did say to deactivate it.....Atleast it's sorted...

Dream Weaver

The cars immobiliser was active, but switched off as per normal on the ignition phase.

If you look at post 3 the actual Emerald ECU immobiliser was de-activated, so i've no idea how I managed to activate it in between fitting crank sensors. :D

Edited by Dream Weaver

M3Evo

Hmm, that article suggests that the high load running in is more for newer engines. Just hope that 15 and 20 year old lumps don't mind the idling method! :)

Dream Weaver

Which article, the break in secrets thing? I presumed by "newer engines" it meant from 90's and up. :P

Not sure what you mean about the idling method :)

M3Evo

Hope it is from the '90s on as mine's an '85 engine. Was referring to the "start it up and leave it to idle for 20 mins" method as the idling method :)

Don't really have much option in my case as there are so many things to run around and check for leaks etc :P

Dream Weaver

Same here, need to check the cooling system, bleed it, check the TB's, and filters, check all the oil system and so on. :P

As well as watching for flames and other leaks. Not sure how to do all that whilst remembering to run the thing in. May justget the brakes bled then take it out round the country lanes for 20 miles. As long as the MOT is booked I should be OK, im on my way to it after all :)

Sign in to follow this