• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Emerald Problems :(

Dream Weaver

Tried to fire up my Pug today after finishing the rebuild, but I just cant get the Emerald to recognise the engine. :)

Everything seems to be working fine, ECU powers up on ignition position 2 with its red LED, laptop can talk to it, and the TPS calibration works from pressing the accelerator pedal from 0 to 15.

But after calibrating the TPS, then programming the ECU I switch the ignition off, then back on and at this point the ECU LED should go GREEN, but it stays RED!!

Tried turning the engine over and it cranks on the starter, but the ECU is immobilised, so obviously no fuel/spark. Tried re-wiring TPS but no joy.

Anyone any ideas? Car has an immobiliser on it, but this flicks off as normal with the ignition, so that shouldnt affect it.

Robsbc

You need to do some basic checks....

The LED on the rear of the ECU will turn from RED to GREEN to indicate that the ECU has recognised engine rotation. If the ECU is immobilised, the LED will remain RED.

If you are using the M3D immobiliser function or accidentally activated it just go into the software and hit the Deactivate button. I believe the immobiliser function only works with the K series MEMS immobiliser only.

2 things to stop you getting engine rotation (Red to Green led) :-

1. On the laptop when cranking can you see the cranking rpm on the Emerald live screen (via laptop)? If not the signal from the coil pack is not reaching the ECU and green LED will not light up.

2. Injectors firing

Rob

Edited by Robsbc

Dream Weaver

Doesn't the LED have to be green on ignition part 2 first though, before any of the engine components will affect it, i.e. coil, injectors, and before you've started cranking?

My thoughts were that it stays red until you've calibrated the TPS, then you switch ignition off and back on and it turns to green.

It just stays red.

Immobiliser function is deactivated, all ECU settings are fine.

Super Josh

I'm with Rob on this one, i thought the led turns to green only when it sees engine rotation. Simon have you tried turning the engine over yet, to see if it changes state? What are you using to detect rotation CPS or Golf dizzy?

Josh

charlie_sav

when turning over the led should flash to show that it's getting a tdc signal, once started it will stay green ,

looks like the ecu is not getting a tdc signal. is the pick up settings in the ecu correct for the type of pick you are using in the ecu configuration screen.

Dream Weaver

CAS settings are correct - inductive pickup, 60-2 Bosch, ignition set to twin for the coilpack.

Josh - tried cranking it but it just keeps turning on the starter, and the LED stays red. Measuring crank position using the CAS/TDC sensor on the gearbox, and load with the TPS.

I think it may be worth swapping the wires around for the TDC sensor and also on the coil, which is a right arse as the TDC sensor is the one from the old engine in a sealed shielded cable so i'll have to swap them at the ECU end. :)

Also not sure if my coil is wired in correctly. Its a Mini coilpack and I wired the supply to the middle pin, then the relevant signal wires to the pins for 2&3 and 1&4, i.e. there is aleft hand pin next to the 2&3 coil, and a right hand pin next to 1&4.

TPS is giving range of 0-4.5v on the multimeter, so I reckon thats working, fuel pump is firing in ignition as well.

Robsbc
CAS settings are correct - inductive pickup, 60-2 Bosch, ignition set to twin for the coilpack.

Josh - tried cranking it but it just keeps turning on the starter, and the LED stays red. Measuring crank position using the CAS/TDC sensor on the gearbox, and load with the TPS.

I think it may be worth swapping the wires around for the TDC sensor and also on the coil, which is a right arse as the TDC sensor is the one from the old engine in a sealed shielded cable so i'll have to swap them at the ECU end. :)

Also not sure if my coil is wired in correctly. Its a Mini coilpack and I wired the supply to the middle pin, then the relevant signal wires to the pins for 2&3 and 1&4, i.e. there is aleft hand pin next to the 2&3 coil, and a right hand pin next to 1&4.

TPS is giving range of 0-4.5v on the multimeter, so I reckon thats working, fuel pump is firing in ignition as well.

Before undoing anything....check if u can see teh cranking rpm on the live screen via the laptop....

Regarding CPS wiring on my mates S16 we thought we had it the wrong way round but swapping it over made no difference...

TPS makes no odds to the green LED I beleiev as my one was going up the spout quite a few years ago but I could still start the car.

Email trev and he will tell you wat wires u need on the mini coil pack.

Rob

Dream Weaver

Will check that Rob with the laptop first, but can we conclude that either the coilpack or Crank sensor is at fault for now?

Who's trev?

M3Evo

Wouldn't be worth trying changing the CPS type to Digital in the Settings would it?

Completely circumstantial I know, but Stu's CPS and mine look exactly the same, except that his is a Pug one and mine came from Emerald (Vauxhall part?) and says in the instructions to set it to digital.

Ross

I am using a Peugeot CPS but have the Emerald set to digital, in inductive mode it works every other time, when it does not work the red light does not go green.

Try it

Dream Weaver

I could try the digital setting, not sure what CPS i'm using, think its a Pug one.

Just tried it again a few minutes ago and on the live adjustments its not registering any RPM at all, so does that mean CPS or Coil problem?

One other thing, I haven't fitted the exhaust system yet - apart from being very noisy when it does start will this cause any running problems?

Would it be better to fit the exhaust system before getting it running?

Edited by Dream Weaver

taylorspug

If its not registering any RPM, then the connection to the coilpack is wrong somewhere, as that is where it picks it up from.

And its wont run great without the exhaust, but it will run, it certainly shouldnt stop the motor firing, so i wouldnt worry too much about that. :)

Edited by taylorspug

Dream Weaver

Will try changing the coilpack connections around. Would prefer to fit the exhaust system but its catch 22 - cant fit it until I turn the car round, cant turn it round til the engines running :)

Ross

Sorry Dan, I don`t think that right. I thought the emerald took its reading straight off of the CPS and then the ECU would trigger the coil.

taylorspug

Yeah i may be wrong, not got any major experience with Emerald or anything like that, just taking stuff off the top of my head. :)

DrSeuss

Yup, ecu will be reading the cps as the signal to tell it, its cranking.

CPS, is a VR sensor, as the teeth pass by a voltage will be produced in the coil (coil is a magnet). This voltage will loosely be a squarewave, hence the digital, as it is not an infinitely variable signal, it is on or off.

Its impossible to test a cps without an oscilloscope, is it the 2 pin one from an mi or a 3 pin one?

taylorspug

Well there you go, learn something every day. :)

16v205

The emerald doesnt take any rpm signal off the coil pack. The standard style coilpack cant possibly create a rpm signal.

The cas is what the emerald will be using if youve wired it the same as in the instruction manual for distributerless ignition. If your not receiving a cranking signal then the light will not go green. Also you wont generate a cranking rpm in the software if the cas is wired up wrong. Im sure the standard cas on the pugs is inductive not digital.

Double check youve wired it to the right pins, and the pins are counted from the right side of the connector. I know it sounds silly but its easy mistake to make, and one I done once or twice :)

Rich

Dream Weaver

I wouldnt be surprised if its the wrong way round in the ECU loom plug as I pretty much had to guess which wire was for pin 31 and which for pin 32.

DrSeuss

would be surprised if there's such a thing as the wrong way round. Unless you've got the shielding going to the wrong pin. The wires of the cps SHOULD be interchangeable. BTW by coil in my first post i meant a coil internal to the cps.

Good luck, hope i haven't confused you further.

Robsbc
Will check that Rob with the laptop first, but can we conclude that either the coilpack or Crank sensor is at fault for now?

Who's trev?

Trev is the guy I work with who has a S16 on tb's using a mini coil pack

Dream Weaver

Of course, i'll email him if I get no joy with the changes I make.

Just noticed tonight all the coolant from the expansion tank is sat on the garage floor, so probably a good thing it hasnt started up yet - the probe thing that goes into the bottom of the tank appears to be leaking, so that needs re-sealing before I sort out the starting issues.

Anyone know what that probe actually does, it has 2 longs metal poles on it?

Robsbc
Of course, i'll email him if I get no joy with the changes I make.

Just noticed tonight all the coolant from the expansion tank is sat on the garage floor, so probably a good thing it hasnt started up yet - the probe thing that goes into the bottom of the tank appears to be leaking, so that needs re-sealing before I sort out the starting issues.

Anyone know what that probe actually does, it has 2 longs metal poles on it?

Coolant level sensor

Dream Weaver

Should've realised :)

Have to fix the bloody leak next job, how annoying fitting all the bits in, then having to take them out again :D

No oil leaks so far though, fingers crossed.

16v205

Any luck yet Dream Weaver?

Sign in to follow this