• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt205xs

Have Some Queries Fitting Carbs!

mfield

Ive got the above catch tank which cost me about £27 off ebay

matt205xs

has anyone got any close up pictures of carbs apart from the one on the article section?

thanks

mfield

What in particular or just an overview ?

I think DaveW took a picture of my engine bay at the south meet ?

macaroni

To add a quick question to this thread, I have a 205xs (OK, not XU, but bear with me). I currently just have PiperX filter on the rocker cover outlet. I want a catch tank, as it is covering the back of the engine in oil, but I don't think I have a crankcase breather.

Should I have one andwear will it be?

If I don't, will the simple caatch tank mentioned about do, or should I also go for a proper job with sight gauge etc?

matt205xs
What in particular or just an overview ?

I think DaveW took a picture of my engine bay at the south meet ?

A pic of the throttle linkage and balance levers as the instructions ihave are crap

Dream Weaver
Ive got the above catch tank which cost me about £27 off ebay

Was it the ones from Hong Kong?

Whats the quality like,and size? Any pics?

mfield

It was the one from HK :D

The quality is the same as the picture, all good welds. Breather was abit restrictive for my liking and the level pipe ideally needed about 1mm taking off.

Showed a friend who has a mocal style one and was a bit gutted.

Do you mean pics of location ?

Edit: Ill measure the capacity when i get home :lol:

Edited by mfield

Dream Weaver

Yeah pics of where you've fitted it etc.

puginfo

The dizzy pipe is for your vacume advance it's not needed to run but you will have worse mpg :)

>>> if you run carbs and still need that vacuum advance to work despite no ported vacuum available from the carb, i run a system which works. What i did was, connect the vacuum hose from the manifold vacuum to the dizzy and intersect that line with a vacuum switch. then use an electronic variable vacuum sensor to sense the manifold vacuum and deliver a trigger voltage to the vacuum switch which was inline. the vacuum sensor has a setting pot which can be tuned in a way that the moment you put the foot in, the trigger voltage is out. that way, you will convert the manifold vacuum to ported vacuum just the way the vacuum canister on the dizzy was intended to work with a carb which does not have a ported vac. using this setup for months now with some impact on mileage.

cheers

matt205xs

on one of the carbs is a brass jet on the side which looks very similar in size to the jet the vacuum advance connected to on the old TB is this what its for?

mfield

The catch tank is not in the car at the moment because im lazy and not refitted it yet :)

It was mounted high up by the header tank, imo it wasn't an ideal placement but did the job. Gave access to the drain plug and was higher than top of engine.

Ive havn't got a clue about the brass pipe, but it could be something that someone else did for that very use ?

matt205xs

RIGHT THE LAST OF THE QUERIES COMING UP NOW, (THANK GOD)!!

on my inlet manifold i have two threaded holes, 1 i presume for the brake servo breather but not sure what the other is for??

shall i just stick a bolt in it and leave that?

mfield

Ive seen it done two ways, first way is the way you've described and the second way is to use both with a t-piece or something simular.

I dont know the best way but i went for the first :)

Hope that helps.

Edit:

Good luck, and have fun

Edited by mfield

Dream Weaver

Try with one, and if the brake assistance isnt great t-piece both of them.

matt205xs

thanks all for the help and will post some pics of the finsihed result!!!

Edited by matt205xs

Guest jimmy9gti
Read this, it should make sense then - https://www.burtonpower.com/technical/tt_eng2.html

Must say,thanks to DREAM WEAVER for the very very usefull link to BURTONPOWERCOM on explaining the basics on crankcase breather systems.

Certainly made it a lot clearer and easy to understand for me!! :D

There have been lots of questions on this!,maybe someone could put into a FAQ bit????.

Cheers anyway. (jimmy9gti)

Guest ashnicholls

so with running carbs, you cant simply use the vacuum advance????????????

whats the easiest way to use the vacuum advance with carbs?

Sign in to follow this