• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt205xs

Have Some Queries Fitting Carbs!

matt205xs

1. The breather pipes which were connected to the inlet manifold and throttle body... were do they go when the carbs are on??

2. i was wanting to run the standard fuel pump and have a FPR to reduce the PSI, I beleive that the standard pump runs at about 70psi and carbs run at about 5... is there a regulator which will reduce it by that amount??

thanks

puginfo

just go for a catch can to get the breather pipes in and vent to atmo. that way at least, you won't mess up the afr which is already difficult task on the carbs.

doubt you can get the 70psi to 5psi on a steady state of volume. the carbs - webers, need 3.5psi to 4.5psi with emphasis on volume. fitting a electrical carby pump would be good and may not even have to have a regulator as the pump has internal regulator.

cheers

matt205xs
just go for a catch can to get the breather pipes in and vent to atmo. that way at least, you won't mess up the afr which is already difficult task on the carbs.

doubt you can get the 70psi to 5psi on a steady state of volume. the carbs - webers, need 3.5psi to 4.5psi with emphasis on volume. fitting a electrical carby pump would be good and may not even have to have a regulator as the pump has internal regulator.

cheers

hi sorry to sound dumb, could you explain abit more about the first paragraph

thanks

puginfo

its just the flashy stainless steel oil catch can which has inlets and outlets to separate the heavy oil and vacuum signal. so the heavy oil drops off to the bottom with some vapor as well, the can's outlet can be connected back to the inlet manifold vacuum (thou not recommended) or just via another hose which goes atmo. done this way, the oil or the vapor will not upset the AFR in the manifold.

matt205xs

Some people have done this without the oil catch tank,

can i just block off all the breather pipes apart from the brake which goes to the inlet manifold of the carbs

also what is the narrow pipe which goes from behind the distributor to the throttle body for.. do i need that??

mfield

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

Dont block the pipes off, a catch tank is ideal but if you choose not to just let the cap vent minus the pipes. If you block them off you WILL have a messy engine bay :D

The dizzy pipe is for your vacume advance it's not needed to run but you will have worse mpg :D

matt205xs

were do i connect tht dizzy pipe to on the carbs?

so your saying to take the pipes completly out and just leve the holes?

mfield

Ive yet to see a conversion where the dizzy pipe is retained, there might be a way just dont know it :D

Its fine to leave the pipes off but i would recomend getting a catch tank, makes no difference to how it runs just a better practice.

matt205xs

were abouts would the catch tank go in the engine bay, what actually does it do?

mfield

Its there to catch oil vapour instead of venting it to air.

Put it where ever it will fit, but i would say the nearer the better to the filler.

matt205xs

does it matter if the oil vapour vents to air? is there some sort of filter that can be plce on the end of the breather pipes?

christopher

I have had my catch tank on for a few months now. I have maybe 20mm of oil in a coke bottle :D All that would be in my engine bay otherwise :D If you use an electrical pump you should use a regulator to keep the fuel pressure right.

On my crabs I have diconnected most of teh vacum pipes. But I have blocked off 3 vacum pipes on the carb and the one remaining goes straight to the dizzy diaphram. Its a TU of course. But I reckon the principe is the same...

Edited by christopher

Banjo

Try a search as fitting carbs and catch tanks has been covered many times before, also try a search on google for catch tank systems.

Ben

matt205xs

i have been looking at these: -

www.demon-tweeks.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MCYCLE&pcode=K/N62-1010

are these any good for putting on the breather pipes?

christopher

I used one of these on my TU. It ran for a few months before it got clogged with mayo, made the rocker gasket leak and eventually the top blew off the filter :D

matt205xs

ok after reading that i would say a catch tank is needed,

would all the breathers need to go to it or just the one from the oil cap??

other breather i had are:

1. goes on air filter pipe inbetween AFM and throttle body

2.one which goes underneath the inlet manifold

3. braided hose from the brake servo o inlet manifold (carbs)

4. breather which was on side of inlet manifold

thanks

mfield

The braided pipe from your brake servo must be sucked air not blown, so use the fitment on the manifold for that one.

there should be only two pipes that go anywhere after fitting carbs and they are the ones on the filler cap.

Dream Weaver

Here's how mine will be once I find a decent catch tank, Mi16 but the same/similar setup.

breather2.gif

matt205xs

sorted!! just bought a catch can off ebay for £6.00!! bargain

Dream Weaver

Which one on ebay?

matt205xs

type in oil catch tank on ebay and its the one which is a £1 atm!!

cheap as chips

Edited by matt205xs

Dream Weaver

This one?

40_1_b.JPG

No drain plug, filter outlet or sight gauge though, I looked at that one.

And how have you bought it if the auction is still live?

matt205xs
This one?

40_1_b.JPG

No drain plug, filter outlet or sight gauge though, I looked at that one.

And how have you bought it if the auction is still live?

But surely all that is needed is to outlets from the oil fillar??

and as for the how have i bought it, i havnt but im just looking on the bright side

but i suppose ull bid on it now wont u :D

Dream Weaver

I wont bid, I want one with 2 inlets, a single outlet and a sight gauge built in, with baffled foam inside. You also need a 1-2L can if poss.

On that one above they are both inlets, so you also need an outlet for the filter.

This is the type i'm after (but bigger capacity), but they're £60 from this site -

oilcatchtankwithrubberhose.JPG

Dont know how much you use Ebay, but the one you're after will end up going for £20 if some of the things i've been bidding on this week are anything to go by, people seem to pay sily money at the last minute. :D

Edited by Dream Weaver

Sign in to follow this