• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pdd144c

Emerald Ecu

Sam

Arse. I take it you are using the auxillary output wire from the ecu?

miamistu

Taken from the bit of paper that came with my tacho driver thing:

Tacho driver module

Some early tachometers will only trigger from high voltage spikes normally seen on an ignition coil primary connection (coil negative). These include many Peugeot/Citroen and early VW tachometers.

This module will convert the ECU's normal 12v tacho signal to high voltage (150 - 300v) pulses so that the ECU can drive these tachometers.

^_^

DrSeuss

You can install the rev counter drive from 306 clocks. I think that works from a 12v ecu signal.

M3Evo

I'm not going mad!

This is from the instructions that came with the Emerald thingy:

Tacho driver module

Some early tachometers will only trigger from high voltage spikes normally seen on an ignition coil primary connection (coil negative). These include many Peugeot/Citroen and early VW tachometers.

This module will convert the ECU's normal 12v tacho signal to high voltage (150 - 300v) pulses so that the ECU can drive these tachometers.

miamistu
I'm not going mad!

look two posts up ^_^

Dream Weaver
I'm not going mad!

Indeed, hats off to you sir ^_^

Rich, are you going to Emerald tomorrow, fancy getting a price for group buy?

16v205
Indeed, hats off to you sir ^_^

Rich, are you going to Emerald tomorrow, fancy getting a price for group buy?

Yeah im off to emerald tomorrow morning at 5:00 am :)

Ill ask about getting a group buy/numbers and let you know tomorrow night

Rich

saveloy

Sam,yes I'm using the auxiliary output. If the Emerald box does not work,I will have to swap the tacho drive over to a 12V coilpack type.

16v205

Just got back from emerald and asked them about the box.

Dave said they cost £35 each, and due to the labour involved and someone else coming in to make parts of it there not going to be able to do a group buy on them :rolleyes:

Rich

Sam

So £35 or no rev counter. Bonza.

Dream Weaver

Robbing gets, Dave emailed me a few months back and told me they were £25. :rolleyes:

This Emerald thing is turning into a big bloody money pit now, just spent £100 doing the wiring loom, now £35 for this, thats £800 in total, wish i'd gone the Megasquirt route. :wub:

Super Josh
Robbing gets, Dave emailed me a few months back and told me they were £25. :wub:

This Emerald thing is turning into a big bloody money pit now, just spent £100 doing the wiring loom, now £35 for this, thats £800 in total, wish i'd gone the Megasquirt route. :)

Yeah, but you know it will be worth it Simon :rolleyes: First time you turn the key.

Josh

pdd144c

Has he got any in stock then Rich? Or did you find out any more info with regards to what the convertor consists of?

Im sure i could make some up at work for next to nothing if i knew which components were used or what type of signal/voltages need converting to what... Am i right in thinking its just 12v to 300v?

16v205
Has he got any in stock then Rich? Or did you find out any more info with regards to what the convertor consists of?

Im sure i could make some up at work for next to nothing if i knew which components were used or what type of signal/voltages need converting to what... Am i right in thinking its just 12v to 300v?

He had 2 instock but they wernt resined, a guy comes in once a month or so to finish them. I did ask about buying one there but they wont be ready till next week.

Rich

Mattsav

I've got the same problem with the KMS ECU's.

I've got our electronics guy coming to see me in the next few days so I'll see what we can come up with.

Guest BiFf
Robbing gets, Dave emailed me a few months back and told me they were £25. :wub:

This Emerald thing is turning into a big bloody money pit now, just spent £100 doing the wiring loom, now £35 for this, thats £800 in total, wish i'd gone the Megasquirt route. :)

I think if I remember correctly it was £25 + VAT last time I checked, then with carriage to that would be about £35 so he may have meant they are £35 to your door.

Emerald might not be the cheapest (they are certainly not the dearest though) but in my experience their customer service is top notch so worth spending a little more on.

BiFf :rolleyes:

Dream Weaver
I think if I remember correctly it was £25 + VAT last time I checked, then with carriage to that would be about £35 so he may have meant they are £35 to your door.

Emerald might not be the cheapest (they are certainly not the dearest though) but in my experience their customer service is top notch so worth spending a little more on.

BiFf B)

I'd probably disagree with that. :(

I've emailed them twice now for some failry important help on creating the wiring loom, and another issue and they've just never bothered to reply to me. The only time they ever replied was when I was considering buying the thing!!

I know people will say "just give them a ring then", but companies shouldnt advertise email addresses if they dont use them, and besides I had to send them some docs.

Josh - lets hope so!! ;)

Edited by Dream Weaver

Guest BiFf
I'd probably disagree with that. :(

I've emailed them twice now for some failry important help on creating the wiring loom, and another issue and they've just never bothered to reply to me. The only time they ever replied was when I was considering buying the thing!!

I know people will say "just give them a ring then", but companies shouldnt advertise email addresses if they dont use them, and besides I had to send them some docs.

Josh - lets hope so!! :(

Unfortunately I found this with almost all companies I've contacted by email who are anything to do with cars. I just came to the conclusion that grease/oil and computers don't mix so neither do mechanics/tuners and PC's. TBH the best way is to give them a call but even though they aren't the quickest to reply I've had a response to every email from Emerald, mind you though they are exceptionally busy down there which may explain it. But yes I have to agree to a certain extend companies shouldn't advertise an email address if they aren't going to respond to it, I personally think it just makes them look un-professional. We have people moaning to us at work if their emails aren't responded to within an hour B)

Anyway back on topic. Did we get a final price on these rev counter do-hickys?

BiFf ;)

Sam

£35 i think Biff, its further up...

Ross

I brought one when I fitted my emerald. As said before it just converts the 12volt sign wave output from the ecu to a 300volt spike for the rev counter.

Its about the size of a match bo and has four connections, earth, +ve, signl from ECU, signal to rev counter.

Works a treat, the rev counter appears quite accurate now when it was being mapped.

Its not possible to see how or what it is made of as its set in resin within a plastic housing. Unless you are an eletrical wiz, I would just buy the think, you need the rev counter after all.

Wire up the shift light as well with a high intensity LED I, set mine in the dashl just above the STOP light. Works a treat, feel like a proper rude boy now!

16v205
So how did yo uget on yersterday rik  @ Emerald?

Long story. Bit of a catch 22 situation as I needed the car mapped to run the engine in but I couldnt test the manifold/tbs until it was mapped.

Car was reliable, done a few miles the night before to check for last minute leaks as the engine was new. By the time we got to Emerald the engine had done 250ish miles. A few little niggles like the loom earthed on the gearbox mount instead of direct to the battery and a coil problem, then it was mapped.

Only made 140.4bhp though, well down on standard power but once mapped the car felt really smooth. We couldnt find a reason why it was so weak while I was down there as the print out shows a very smooth power curve but its between 20 & 40bhp less than other mi16's. The curve follows most the other maps superimposed ontop. Dave done a great job though with the mapping, couldnt find a flat spot or misfire all the way home.

Got the car to bits yesterday. Checked the compression 13.5 bar across all 4, cams are still timed correct with the dowels fitting in fine. Swapped my lovely home made manifold for the bodged cut-down original mi16 one and the car came alive again B). Its so much stronger than the built manifold even with a rough map on it.

Going to have 1 more go at making a manifold now I can drive the car around, if it sucks this time ill have to splash out on some proper Jenveys.

Rich

Ill post the poor looking rr results in a few minutes

Rolling Road Result

Edited to add above link

Edited by 16v205

alex205mi16

thats a bummer mate... considering all the work and french graveyard on your drive/in your garage...

i will be round to pick up that top one day...lol

Sam

There was a another PGAC 306 with an mi on bike bodies, that made 150bhp odd. Mapped somewhere else too.

Sign in to follow this