• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pdd144c

Emerald Ecu

pdd144c

Just wondering how everyone with the Emerald system got on with regards to get the original 205 rev counter to work. Does it need some sort of adapter fitting to convert the signal?

Thanks

Paul.

M3Evo

Sure does. Ask Emerald, think it's about £12 or something :o

Sam

I'm having the same issue with my omex, the rev counter doesn't move at all, is that right?

M3Evo

It's probably a similar thing. Think the PUG tacho needs a 300v signal to operate, whereas the ECUs are only giving it a 12v signal.

pdd144c

Thank f*** for that. Cheers! I'll give em a ring now and get one ordered.

Sam, Miles might be able to sort you out with that, think he's used a few Omex systems before.

Dream Weaver

The Pug neesd a 12v signal I think and the Emerald gives 5v.

I need one as well, see if they'll do a mini group buy :D

They want £25 + vat for them :)

Guest BiFf

I'd be up for a group buy on these to, as I suffer the non functioning tacho.

BiFf :)

mfield

Can you not connet the negative from your coil to the rev counter ?

Dream Weaver

I cant in mine cos its running a coilpack and shift light system so theres a few wires to sort.

How many for a group buy then, they may do a reduced rate?

16v205
I cant in mine cos its running a coilpack and shift light system so theres a few wires to sort.

How many for a group buy then, they may do a reduced rate?

Im up for a group buy :)

Been needing one of these for ages but not got round to ordering it seperate.

Im down at emerald on wednesday having the car mapped, I could ask at the same time if thats any help?

Cheers

Rich

Dream Weaver

Yeah Rich, ask them how much for 5+, could do with saving some money on this project :)

Rob_the_Sparky

Be interesting to take a peek inside as from first impressions I'd expect it to only be a transistor and a few resistors if it is as you are describing.

Rob

petert
Think the PUG tacho needs a 300v signal to operate, whereas the ECUs are only giving it a 12v signal.

That doesn't seem right as I use to run my tacho from the tach output on the side of an MSD6A, which was only a 12V square wave output.

I also have a Nissan Patrol which does rely on the 400V back emf of the coil to operate the tacho. Manufactors like MSD sell tach adaptors for these type of tachos which are essentially just one side of a transformer.

As someone else said, the Emerald is probably only a 5V output. A simple single transistor amplifier could be used to boost the signal. I'll draw one up if someone is interested.

M3Evo

Mmmm, god knows where I got that from then :)

Sadly can't disassemble the Emerald one as it's a little plastic bath with 4 wires coming out and it's then filled with resin. Bit like a coil pack with the resin and all :D

Rob_the_Sparky

Peter: That would make more sense thinking about it as the signal normally comes from teh side of the coil.

M3: If Peter is right then you are looking at a transformer so looking much like a coil pack would make sense.

Guest BiFf
Can you not connet the negative from your coil to the rev counter ?

Tried that, didn't work. I even dis-assembled my dash and ran a wire round the outside of the car directly to ensure I was getting the right connections and that didn't work either.

As the M3D has a rev counter output be a shame not to use it :(

I'm definetely in for a group buy.

BiFf :ph34r:

Dream Weaver
That doesn't seem right as I use to run my tacho from the tach output on the side of an MSD6A, which was only a 12V square wave output.

I also have a Nissan Patrol which does rely on the 400V back emf of the coil to operate the tacho. Manufactors like MSD sell tach adaptors for these type of tachos which are essentially just one side of a transformer.

As someone else said, the Emerald is probably only a 5V output. A simple single transistor amplifier could be used to boost the signal. I'll draw one up if someone is interested.

It is just a simple transformer to up the output from 5v to 12v, probably quite easy to make for someone in the know (which takes me out of the equation).

pug_ham

I don't know if the attached file is any good for this adaptor but surely there is someone that can make something up for less than Emerald sell them for.

Graham.

Tacho_Adaptor_4_cyl.pdf

Sam

Means extra loom wiring but might be the only solution I guess. Its annoying me having no rev counter.

Robsbc
Means extra loom wiring but might be the only solution I guess. Its annoying me having no rev counter.

I have a rev counter that works with my Emerald from day one (1998)... :ph34r:

Sam

I may have a solution...

Sam

Sorry, that was a bit of a random unhelpful post. I'll phone omex and see what they say, the previous owner said omex sent him a modified relay to do it, who knows.

GoodwoodNSM

Sam

Let us know how you get on I may have the same problem soon as I've got the Omex 600 for my car. It should be fitted in the next month and want the rev counter to be working. I'm hoping there won't be a problem as it works at the moment with the Gti-6 engine fitted but that doesnt mean that it will when the Omex is fitted.

Neil

saveloy

Sam,you won't have any joy with that relay. It didn't work on mine. Neither did the Omex converter box. Which is why I'm waiting for one from Emerald.

One day my tacho will work properly!

Sign in to follow this