• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Fitting Buckets

Gavin Waddell

gonna fit a bucket in my car for the drivers side, probably some sort of sparco. Now ive sat in a 205 running buckets on a normal subframe and it was awful.

im 6'2 and want it low enough so i cant hit the roll cage and so that i can run a tulip steerin wheel and be able to left foot brake.

now i was going to despot eld the old support up th gear leaver and weld to bars from seal to tunnel. would weld a round plate on the end of the bar so that there is more area in contact woth the body.

has anyone else atempted this, or what methods have other people used?

gav

evouk

Neal at DES fitted both my new cobra imolas. Give him a pm or bell.

Drop me an email if your after a quote on any COBRA seat, forum discounts available.

Cheers

DrSeuss

Seats subframes are responsible for supporting your weight and the weight of the seat. The rigidity of mounting is important but the harnesses or seatbelt mounting points are the bits which absorb the force of your body moving in an accident.

Two bars with adequate flanges to distribute the load would be sufficient. Standard mounting points are crap thin sheet so they're not that key to safety.

Sam

I want this done to mine at some stage (if i keep this shell), will have to see, can't be that hard to do, if you do do it could you do 2 sets and i'll pay you for materials and some extra, saves me asking around to get the bits cut up etc, then i can just mig weld them in.

Gavin Waddell

cool.

sam i would love to but live in switzerland so i think it would be abit of amission really.

evouk, could i get them vat free and how much would you charge for shipping to sitzerland

Sam

Ok Gavin not to worry, thanks anyway :D

Butler

Mine are the same as Hilgies.

Gavin Waddell

now did you just drill holes in the bars and weld a nut on the other side

same as above without the weld.

i personally want to weld but i have to but the seat before i can measure it all up and weld it. then i can start to repsray the interior :D

smckeown

i'm a short ass so my seats use the existing mounts, but it is a little high and it may get changed

Gavin Waddell

i want the possibility to left fot brake as roads here are :ph34r:

Gavin Waddell

i was just wondering the cross member that runs across the car to attach the seats, well in my eyes thst serves a structual purpose? i mean ut links booth sills and the floor pan together, by removing in and fitting 2 bars for the bucket(wingng its way over from england now) it willmake the floor pan weaker?

thats my take on it

Guest ste

The section of metal you remove has the torsional rigidity of a haddock.

By welding in 2 fat strips of steel, I'm sure you increase the strength in the area.

mbayley77

Seems to be a widelt accepted practice in the rally scene across many different makes of cars where rigidity and strength are v. important.

Mine has this set up and would have thought that the strength has been dramatically improved over the "haddock" arrangment.

I have large (approx 4" x 3") plates welded to the tunnel and the sill and then the cross support bar welded to that to ensure maximum strength for the area which takes full load of your weight when in an impact!

My tip would be to make sure that all welds are 100% and that all materials in the surrounding areas of the welds are sound with no rust for maximum strength.

Gavin Waddell

right i spent all weeked tryin to get he seat in and no joy. (got very angry in the process). anyway tied to but to 2x2 bars in and well everytime i cut the to fit the tunnel i cant get a close enought fit. i wated 3 meters of bar has any one got any ideas.

i was thinking gettin a flat bar of 4x0.4 and then dropping vertical ptaes on to the floor pan for added strength

Sam

I just had to remove my seat and refit it after strengthening the front left mount on the drivers seat as it pulled through like the right front. Pissing me off, the rear left has also started to crack the tunnel so no doubt thats next.

Perhaps the 205 isn't designed for 20 stone blokes :angry:

Edd-XS

seeing as i dont have a welder, or know anyone that welds at all, im going to fit 5 door style seat runners (slightly lower im led to believe as the tilt mechanism is removed) and modify them where necessary to fit side mount brackets. if it sits me too high then, well, ill cross that bridge when i come to it!

Edd

Hilgie

the tilting mechanism can be removed from the 3 door sliders as well....saves you a trip to the scrappy :angry:

Edd-XS

hilgie your a legend!

Edd

Guest ste

Anyone else who's struggling to get their seats in, Oli Barnard of Preptech helped me with mine, and comes highly recommended:

www.preptech.co.uk :angry:

He's welded shells for Gartrac so he knows what he's doing!

Guest Fee
I modified the standard front seat-mount a little so still using it, and welded in a square bar at the rear.

Pics:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0584.jpg

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0575.jpg

Does your seat mount allow the seat to be moved back and forwards?

I was planning on doing something similar for the passenger seat (weld in a metal bar and then just screw the seat straight onto the bars) as I'm not too bothered about being able to adjust it...

but I do want to be able to adjust the driver's seat

B1ack_Mi16
Does your seat mount allow the seat to be moved back and forwards?

I was planning on doing something similar for the passenger seat (weld in a metal bar and then just screw the seat straight onto the bars) as I'm not too bothered about being able to adjust it...

but I do want to be able to adjust the driver's seat

It doesn't allow me to adjust them back and forwards, but that would be really easy to solve.. just put some slider-mecanism between the mounts and the seats...

Last time I mounted buckets in my old car I just modified the standard sliders to fit.

Guest Fee
It doesn't allow me to adjust them back and forwards, but that would be really easy to solve.. just put some slider-mecanism between the mounts and the seats...

Last time I mounted buckets in my old car I just modified the standard sliders to fit.

That's what I was hoping to do....but the buckets I'm putting in are a lot narrower at the back than the standard seats......so don't think it will work

Sign in to follow this