• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
crf450

My New Engine Pictures

Sam

Very Very Nice :D

petert

But never judge a book by its cover. What's inside?

ANDYGON

very impressive :D

huckleberry

music049.gif

WOW :D

taffycrook

I hope this goes well.

I can't wait to see it in the car, then on the rollers.

hoody_g

very sweet, i want that one. The car will got like 5hit off the preverbial shovel :D

jim205GTI

jealous

looking so tidy

:D

Jonmurgie

Just out of interest how do you know it's a 270bhp engine? Have you run it up on an Engine Dyno and if so do you have the graph?

8pot

Looks good Martin fully built up. Now just get it fitted......After that sort out your s*itty garage floor paint

feb

very nice :D

Sam
Just out of interest how do you know it's a 270bhp engine? Have you run it up on an Engine Dyno and if so do you have the graph?

Its built by a guy that builds touring car engines....

Jonmurgie

So it's been run up on an Engine Dyno then?

pug_ham

Looks excellent Martin, as expected. B)

Doof, afaik the engine won't strictly need running in as its been built to run without it. Not running at Croft but maybe for the meet @ James'. :wacko:

Jon, I don't think its been run on a Dyno due to the cost of doing so but the person that did the engine design & head flow work found magical horse power in some of the older BTCC cars that no-one else could & so hopefully it is a fairly good estimate on the power this engine should develop.

What's inside?
2140cc,Touring car spec head,Own grind Piper cams,Solid lifters,twin valve springs,88mm Cosworth pistons,Arrows rods,Steel Flywheel.

WRC spec sump,Bladed crank,Tony Law one off exhaust system.

Martin, looking to come round soon & see it in the flesh.

Graham.

RobMGti

Looks very nice :wacko: The airbox is unsual but looks like it will provie ample air!

Impressive.

Shevy

I love that airbox :wacko: , I'm trying to get one made at my work like that.

petert
I love that airbox  :wacko: , I'm trying to get one made at my work like that.

That was actually the part I liked least. Aluminium absorbs and conducts too much heat. I'm doing a similar thing in carbon fibre, after I've finished reading "Carbon Fibre for Dummies", as I've got no idea yet.

Also, it looks like it's going to pick up hot air out of the radiator. My idea is similar to this, drawing cold air over the top:

Full marks though.

Edited by petert

markrnorton

Martin

Can you tell me what CR you are running?? or is it 'hush hush'.

I've got what sounds like a similar spec engine coming back to me next week , just wanted to know for a comparison - although i've kept mine to just under 2000cc for race purposes.

Does the airbox scoop go over the top of the rad ?

Mark

Edited by markrnorton

C_W
That was actually the part I liked least. Aluminium absorbs and conducts too much heat. I'm doing a similar thing in carbon fibre, after I've finished reading "Carbon Fibre for Dummies", as I've got no idea yet.

Also, it looks like it's going to pick up hot air out of the radiator. My idea is similar to this, drawing cold air over the top:

Full marks though.

Probably best asking Martin what he's doing with the airbox/radiator setup as I'm pretty sure he's dropping the radiator a fair way so the airbox has fresh air supply.

Sam
So it's been run up on an Engine Dyno then?

Give him a chance!! Only just finished building it...

crf450

My full engine spec -

Mi/S16 2140cc

Eddie Grifiths Mi head

Piper pulleys.

Eddie Grifiths Cams 11.6mm lift and 246 duration from 1mm open to 1mm closed, manufactured by Piper set with 010" clearance on inlets and exhausts.

Piper solid lifters

Piper Duratek pattern double valve springs fitted for length.

Compression set at around 11:5.1

Eddie Grifiths designed exhaust system manufacted by Tony Law.

Standard Mi valves with chamfer on outside edge of valve re-machined to radius.

S16 block bored to 88mm decked by 1mm and cleaned up inside to aid oil return.

Mi16 Crank bladed and polished running with oil scraper.

88mm Cosworth XE pistons modded to fit.

Piston located Arrow rods, 160mm centers fitted with Custom age bolts.

Water pump with impellor removed.

EN24 flywheel with helix paddle clutch

Custom windage tray and baffled sump with three trap door set up. Oil pump lowered 10mm with oversize spacer.

Jenvey 45mm TB's on Cosworth greens with sealed pressurized air box with panel filter.

DTA Engine management

Electric water pump.

Remote oil filter running thermostated 24row Mocal oil cooler.

50amp Daihatsu alternator with half speed pulley.

Jon, we will never know the power true power of my engine as I am only having it set up on a rolling road. I've spent double what I originally planned building this engine and to have it set up on a engine dyno could added getting on towards a couple of grand more and I would have had to cut the manifold to get it on the Dyno which wouldn't have represented how they engine is going to run in the car.

Jon,

Eddie was chief development engineer at Mountune when they were awarded the contract to build the Mi touring car engines. He was responsible for getting around 325bhp with a 8.5k rev limit. I've been involved with him for nearly two years now, in that time I've seen him develop about 10 N/A 2ltr engines all running over 300bhp the last one being a YB engine that Eddie predicted 295bhp and 195ftlbs of torque for. On the engine Dyno it made 307bhp and 212ftlbs.

When he did my engine the only instructions I gave him was, I don't want a full race engine and I don't want to be faffing around with it all the time and I want to run on normal fuel. I let him evaluated the head and I told him the configuration I wanted to use then he come back and told me if I rev it to 8.5k I would be looking a 270-280bhp with 200ftlbs of torque, he also told me the other day the valves are controled up to 10250rpm and even though the engine will peak at 8.5k it wont start dropping off until way past 9k :wacko:

At the end of the day we will have a good idea of it power as the rolling road in Northampton I'm using is used by a lot of race lads that know the power of there engines as they have been set up on engine dynos previously.

Peter,

I have moved the rad down about 125mm so there is a clear run into the air box. Also, the air box isn't touching the mounting plate as there is a bead of sealer round the mounting plate which it seals on, so in reality no heat can tansfer into the box. I will try and post some pics of the air box in place.

Cheers Martin

Edited by crf450

Jonmurgie

Then I stand by my original comment...

Oh...

My...

God...

Well done mate... looking forward to seeing it out on the road!

Doof

One thing i cant wait for on this is to hear the thing...its surely gonna sound insane! :wacko:

The spec is just unreal, i hope its everything we all expect.

jackherer

sorry if I've missed it but what gear ratios are you planning on using with this?

crf450

As I wanted my engine in my car ASAP I'm going to run my standard 1.9 box with my ATB to get me going, but I have got a GTI6 box to which will go in next winter when I fit my suspension and brakes etc.

To be honest, I don't think the gti6 box will give me a massive advantage over the standard box on track and on the quarter mile I it could be a disadvantage.

Cheers Martin

Sign in to follow this