• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Another Year, Another Rear Beam Warning

pug_ham
I am considering having the rear ride height raised to match the front but am now worried about disturbing the seals.
If its only been back together for 5-6 months then adjusting the ride height shoiuldn't cause any problems, you can do it the proper (fcatory) way by removing the torsion bars completely so the seals won't be disturbed by pulling the radius amount. Even if you do it by the single spline method it should be fine imo.

Graham.

Anthony
Anthony, the beam you fitted to my car about 5 months ago is much improved from the previous! However, it's a bit on the low side i.e. not matching the ride height at the front terribly well. I thought the car would settle after a while but it doesn't appear to have done.

If you're coming to the Oxford meet on Tuesday then I'll have a look for you then, as the height should be able right - remember that the rear looks lower than the front even when it's not due to the arch design. The seals and bearings should be fine though to change the ride height - it's when they've been on there years rather than months that you get problems :blush:

wildejon

Well, now I'm worried about mine too!

I am looking to lower it in preperation for an engine transplant in the future. It's covered 108k and I don't think the beam has ever been looked at. Looks like my chances aren't that great...

I'm certainly not going to change the shocks until I've had it looked at. Fancy having a butchers Anthony?!

I'm worried that once it's off and problems are found (almost a certainty), I won't be able to get it back on without facing huge costs... or finding another beam.

Can you tell if this will be the case prior to removal?

pug_ham
Can you tell if this will be the case prior to removal?

Not really imo, even if the radius arms move Ok & aren't making any noises or showing signs of camber the true condition is unknown until the beam is in pieces. :blush:

Nathans beam seemed OK, made no noises, showed very little camber but when I knocked it apart yesterday there was a big cloud of rust dust came out when the arm fell free.

Graham.

Anthony
I'm certainly not going to change the shocks until I've had it looked at. Fancy having a butchers Anthony?!

I'm worried that once it's off and problems are found (almost a certainty), I won't be able to get it back on without facing huge costs... or finding another beam.

I can certainly have a look at it for you, although the only time I'm usually in your neck of the woods is when I'm dropping off or collecting engine parts from Mattsav at QEP just up the road in Burgess Hill.

As Graham said, it's nearly impossible to tell accurately what condition the beam is in without partly knocking the trailing arms out. It's easy to tell when a beam is definately knackered, as it will be showing the forementioned signs of death (camber, groaning, play, siezing), but you can't say that a beam is definately good without taking it apart.

What I normally do is knock the trailing arms out by about an inch or so. That's enough that you can see the part of the shaft that the outer bearings run on and will tell you what sort of state the beam is in. If those shafts look good then things are still healthy and a recon is cheap and easy, but if they're heavily pitted, or worse corroded, then things are going to be rather more expensive as then you start needing new shafts and, depending how far it's gone, a new beamtube too...

The only thing I would say is that if you're not in a position where you can get the beam reconditioned shortly after taking it apart to check, then don't touch it. It's not so much of an issue if it's still good, but if it's starting to die, then taking it apart and disturbing all the bearings and seals will cause the death of it in double-quick time unfortunantly :blush:

wildejon

Ok, cheers for that. I had better wait for a little bit then.. Maybe once I actually have the new shocks and wheels I'm planning to buy I can give you a shout then. I don't mind driving it up to you by the way if that makes things easier. I'll leave well alone for now, cheers for the advice.

NOsMAN

while we are on the subject ,Antony have you had a chance to knock up a new beam for us on the TT..?

Can you let us know when you are off to 205parts ? so i can get you to check my CTi as well..

cheers :blush:

Anthony
while we are on the subject ,Antony have you had a chance to knock up a new beam for us on the TT..?

Can you let us know when you are off to 205parts ? so i can get you to check my CTi as well..

Not had chance to do it yet, although it's near the top of the "to-do" list when I'm down there next sorting out some beams for them (probably next week) :blush:

S33GAV
Not had chance to do it yet, although it's near the top of the "to-do" list when I'm down there next sorting out some beams for them (probably next week) :blush:

Do you actually have a day job?!?! :P

Sign in to follow this