• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

Mp3.1 Loom Fitment

TT205
Graham,

.......  And what's stopping you from using your original alloy manifold?  or did you fancy trying the plastic one out?

I think it's simply because the throttle position sensor has a different mounting and doesn't fit - no doubt Graham will correct me if I'm wrong :)

pug_ham
Graham,

How much did you pay for the thermostat housing?  I cracked mine by not undoing the hidden cap head :D   And what's stopping you from using your original alloy manifold?  or did you fancy trying the plastic one out?

Josh, I fgot the thermostat housing with the car that had the loom fitted but have since got others from my local scrapyard for about £10 with the coilpack iirc. I can try to find one for you if you need.

I went for the plastic inlet because the TB has the correct spacing for a TPS (the ZX came with M3.1 already fitted), & it has the pipe for the map sensor fitting built in so no need to fit a T piece for it.

taffy, it worked well with the Peugeotsport max torque cam (almost same profile as Catcam 279') when it was all fitted to NickR's car. For now I've only got a Piper 272' fitted to this engine & don't expect to go any wilder than the Catcam 279' on an engine but never say never.:)

Graham.

pug_ham

Getting really close now, clutch & flywheel fitted last Thursday/ Friday & today I've made up the intake pipe & shortened the wires to the TPS & ATS.

I was hoping to move the ignition module but the wires are to short so I'm going to make a bracket to fasten it to the battery tray.

sideview2md.th.jpg

frontview8zj.th.jpg

Just driveshafts & hubs back on then find a pipe to go from the thermostat housing to the bulkhead & refit the cooling system before thebattery goes backon prior to starting. :)

Graham.

pug_ham

Not much of an update really, apart from the fact that tonight I connected the battery, checked I had voltages where I should & then turned the key that bit further & it fired up. :(:lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D

No smoke, melted wiring or anything (yet). Ran it for about half an hour until the cooling fan cut in (low speed works now as well:wacko:).

Yet to try to get the rev counter working & wire the K light up but they aren't needed for an MOT so I'm over the moon.

Took a while for it to sink in that my first wiring conversion had worked first time with no problems & I had a car that runs again. Shame I never found the problem that made me take the plunge & start the swap on a car that wasn't running but it works now so WTF!!

I have to admit it didn't run 100% straight away but that might simply have been due to the battery being low on power (Big thanks to Dave (205 TT) for the battery booster pack, saved my life & got the car running), battery is now on charge for another play tomorrow afternoon & refit the rest of the dash whilst its running. It might also have been because the fuel (SUL) has been stood in the tank since last September but the revs were a little fluffy for a while & there were a few pops & bangs when I revved it but nothing detremental. Idle seems steady & more reluctant to stall than on Jetronic, just not sure what its idling at yet though but sounded about 1100rpm.

Going to try to get an MOT done one afternoon this week now but I'm working nights for the next few nightson so it might be difficult. ( I like my sleep)

All thats left to do before the MOT is front discs & pads & then rebuild one rear drum as it had seized up & tehn a few test drives on teh private roads near me.

Can only imagine what Alan_M felt like as I'm over the moon that it worked straight away. :D :D :D :D :D

Phoned Wurzel when it was running & revved it whilst holding my phone next to the air filter (sounds like a big hoover at idle) & it stalled.;) Couldn't restart it immediately as I'd disconnected the jump start/ batterypack & the battery still didn't have enough juice in.

Graham.

jackherer

nice one :(

good luck for the mot... ;)

TT205

Hee hee

Well done mate

Everyone join the MP3 queue - It's Started .........................

Wurzel
Phoned Wurzel when it was running & revved it whilst holding my phone next to the air filter (sounds like a big hoover at idle) & it stalled.:)  Couldn't restart it immediately as I'd disconnected the jump start/ batterypack & the battery still didn't have enough juice in.

Graham.

I thought you'd gone bloody mad :D Was chuffed for you though mate, I could tell you were pleased. I know what it's like to have no problems with a loom that's been pulled apart and put back together again but to have a loom that isn't supposed to be there entirely, it must be even better.

I will have to come over one day soon and talk to you in depth about the loom and have a look how it's fitted :lol:

Well done though mate and I think Dave is right, wait for the flood!

Sam

No one going to try 8P Magnetti Marelli?

I was sure Wayne told me one was better for boost (M3.1 over 8P) but can't remember which?

pug_ham

I ran it again today after charging the battery for a few hours & things seems to have settled down now, I suspect the stutering that seemed present last night could just have been due to the battery being low as it had gone this time.

I'm at work all night tonight :) but hope to get up early enough to fix the rear drun & complete the front brakes rebuild so it is ready for driving to the test station when I can get a space, preferably Thursday afternoon so I have Friday to rectify any small problems they find, if any & then drive it over the weekend.

Seems to take off when revving it suddenly, revs normally until approx 3k & then spins up quickly, at least that is how it sounds. Hopefully I'll find out when I drive it if there feels any difference on the road. Just as long as it has cured the pinking I'll be happy.

Graham.

pug_ham

Ran the car again today after rebuilding the rear brakes, had to switch it off soon afterwards though as it had developed a trickling leak from the seal on the fuel pressure regulator so I have now ordered a new seal from the local Citroen garage & that won't be here until Friday (hopefully AM) & by then everything else will be ready apart from that & I'll get it tested on Friday afternoon.

Graham.

NickR

Nice one G

Will have to pop round for a look !

pug_ham
Nice one G

Will have to pop round for a look !

NO worries, just waiting for Citroen to call & say the seal is here & the take it for an MOT.:angry:

Speak to you soon.

Graham.

pug_ham

Well, the big news is that I have finally driven the car today with the ZX ecu fitted & I am glad to report that the pinking that I couldn't get rid of using a reground Piper 270' cam & filed distributor slots to their max before.

Hard to compare it to a standard 1.9, having never driven one before.:) Certainly seems to pull well enough, I even managed to get the rev counter working breifly earlier but that was using the clocks from a BX with the same MP3.1 system. Just need to find out how to swap it over to my clocks without breaking anything.

Throttle response seems wonderful (no pun intended Dino) plenty of torque.

Isn't it amasing, when you are in traffic & can't do anything muchthere are always people infront going slow but tonight on the way home from the MOT (it failed:(, low effort on passenger side handbrake, which I expected, fixed already though) the road was empty so I could check out the new performance benefit.

The emissions had to be adjusted down to get it through the MOT, luckily the mixture pot was easily accessable. :)

Insurance arranged, less than £200 for a limited mileage (3k) agreed value policy including breakdown recovery.

I'm going to ring Wayne & see about a mapping session if he thinks it is neccesary (I know what answer I expect).

Graham.

Super Josh

Fantastic news G. Now get those pennies out to put into Wayne's pockets :)

Josh

pug_ham

All finished with a full write up of my day here.

Made 140bhp & rev limit set to 7k.

Powergraph here.

Graham.

Dino

G, what head are you using (forgive me for being ignorant) is it an XU10 or XU9?

pug_ham

XU9, rebuilt by Hi-flow with group N guides & three angle seats.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this