• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

Mp3.1 Loom Fitment

pug_ham

Well after reading AndyR's posts this last week, yesterday's in particular, I was motivated to finally fit my loom in place after having it sat in a box ready for the last few months.

The old loom was already stripped out so it was simply a matter of remembering how the ecu bracket fitted, modifying it for the Motronic ecu & then routing the new loom in under the dash & making the connections for the copilpack & fuel pump.

motecu9vh.th.jpg

I routed the loom as original as I could, nicely away from the exhaust manifold & using the original clips from the old loom;

loomroute1ex.jpg

Now all I have to do is order the gaskets for the thermostat housing & inlet manifold, fit them & the respective bits & a toothed flywheel & then try it all out & getting an new MOT for the car.

partialbay1fz.jpg

I'll order the gaskets tomorrow & with any luck the wiring & refit (minus the flywheel) will be done this week before I'm back at work.

Thanks AndyR for the motivation, it really isn't a hard swap to do.

Graham.

AndyR

Nice one! Hope you get it running soon.

Maybe we should get in touch with Wayne @ chipwizards to get some 205GTidrivers.com discount for all the remapping he will be doing shortly for us!

Gave my car a more thurough test today just down the road and back, pulls very well, I couldnt say better or worse than before as Ive been driving my 106 tractor about for 4 months. Feels like Im in a T16 though..very quick!

Alan_M

Graham,

What car did you get my MP3.1 off?

DrSeuss

pretty sure it was a 405 of some description.

Ahl

Nice one Graham! I hope it goes more smoothly than it did on NickR's car.

Im think about doing this to an MI, so I look forward to seeing your progress.

AndyR

What problems did NickR have with his car?

pug_ham
Graham,

What car did you get my MP3.1 off?

Alan, a Citroen BX GTi. Missed out on the throttle body now afaik as well for fitting it to the Mi16. :huh:

The only problems that NickR had were pretty much self induced due to the loom catching the steering column lower bolt & chaffing through the wires causing a short that burnt out the injection relay.

Ahl, its a slow going progress from here on. awaiting spares & then the next step is the flywheel which I'm really (not) looking forward to. :D :D

It could be up & running by the end of the month though, which'll be nice.

I'll keep you all posted.

Graham.

Ahl
Ahl, its a slow going progress from here on. awaiting spares & then the next step is the flywheel which I'm really (not) looking forward to. sad.gif :lol:

Yeah, thats what put me off fitting it to my 8v. Too much hassle. Good luck though. B)

TT205
& then the next step is the flywheel which I'm really (not) looking forward to. B):lol:

Graham - ask Spike

pug_ham

Dave, I've got the flywheel (an Mi one already balanced) its just the job of removing the gearbox etc to fit it that I'm not looking forward to.

Graham.

pug_ham

Well it looks like I should have all the wiring finished & flywheel fitted before the car inlet manifold is fitted.

The inlet manifold gaskets are on back order at Peugeot in France & might be a while. If I have to I'll resort to using a normal one with gasket sealant on temporarily until they turn up. Definately going to fit them when they do, @ £13 +vat each & there are two of them.

Thermostat housing is already at the dealers along with my rear beam bits so I'll give it until the middle of next week when I'm off work again before I collect them.

Graham.

Anthony
Definately going to fit them when they do, @ £13 +vat each & there are two of them.

How much?!?! B)

AndyR

Ive been in contact with Wayne at chipwizards, he advised me that the ECU I have is programmed with too much advance, so should lay off caning it until its remapped :-(

So now just need MOT, Tax, Insurance, and remap. Wonder if I will see any change out of £1k?

Sam

Should have got a TU, £1.50 each B)

Good luck with it, be good to see what it makes without the afm. Bet it sounds better for one?

AndyR

yeah it does sound quite a bit more "gruff" than before..

hope it does give some gains, for 400 im nearly on the way to buying an m3d, but then I would have to pay for setup on top of that.

pug_ham

Finally an update, fitted the thermostat housing a week or so ago, just need to sort out the pipe to the bulkhead & then fit the coilpack, oh & flywheel.

Today I cleaned the throttle body & inlet manifold before fitting them on & shortening the loom plug from the battery distribution box.

gettingthere9yi.th.jpg

I have a clean fuel rail for an alloy inlet & think I'll fit that as getting the pipes for this one could prove a drawn out process.

Who knows the best way to replace the injector connectors as two of mine are damaged & missing the clips?

Graham.

AndyR

G,

email me when you are off work, after 8 stellas each I reckon we can change that flywheel over in about four minutes with no problems whatsoever!

The mini timer plugs for the injectors are not too hard, pull the metal pins out of the plastic housing, and push them into a nice fresh undamaged housing.

Order the replacements from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/V...epage/home.html

If you need anything new that is.

pug_ham

Thanks for the link Andy, I'll be ordering some 192147 connectors tomorrow, they look a bit better than the original ones.

I'll off work next Monday through Thursday, the Stella would be best consumed after the flywheel is done & the car has fired up but you never know. :D

Graham.

pug_ham

Another update.

I've fitted the coilpack at last & today I started to remove the gearbox, in between rain showers & trips out to the scrapyard etc.

bayshot3by.th.jpg

packon7nw.th.jpg

Had a lucky find on the latest XU10 head I got on Tuesday, a set of the correct leads for the 205 GTi head. I knew they were fitted on the later 205 automatics & I'm still intending to get a new set somewhere down the line.

With any luck this time next week the flywheel will be fitted, I'm back to work tomorrow night so not much will happen for the next four days. :D

Weather permitting though I'll get the driveshafts etc off ready so it is just bolted up, oil is drained, starter & gear linkages are off already so not a lot to acheive.

Graham.

Alastairh

Soory to sound a bit domb, but im trying to learn here, and you have to start some where.

Whats the main advantages of using this loom etc?

It suddenly caught my eye when you mentioned that you got the loom out a bx gti, as theres 2 of them in my local cheap scrappy. Shame there 8v though :)

Alastair

j_turnell

AFAIK it gets rid of the AFM and runs using a signal from the flywheel which gets rid of the s*itty kangaroo effect and poor idle, correct?

AndyR

With the 8 valve engine you can throw away the s*it jetronic system with problems youve mentioned, also this motronic setup allows remapping to perfectly suit the engine.

Ive done it with my Mi16 1.9 because my original loom was knackered, and was obsessed with modding it further! Ive done away with the static dizzy which have problems, with actually getting a correct replacment, and they seem to wear quickly, done away with the airflow meter too, benefits of which have yet to be seen.

Im also hoping that with a remap I will see a slight gain due to me having a hiflowheads big valve head with better fueling after remapping.

pug_ham

I didn't personally get my loom from a BX GTi, I got it from a 1992 405 SRi but they are also a possible source.

It has a CAS (crank angle sensor) just like the Mi16 but without the dizzy to complicate things & a MAP sensor to regulate the fuelling & timing to hopefully get the timing accurate.

Like AndyR said, it can be mapped to suit yor specific engine, not a cheap route though if you plan to keep changing you engine spec.

Graham.

taffycrook

Just a word of warning to the people out there who think ahh mappable no AFM this will work with my wild cams and make loads of power.

Map sensors dont like cams, they are well suited to turbo aplications mind.

This mod is worthwhile but it doesn't replace a decent after market system on a more tuned car.

Come lets get this running and slam it on the rollers.

Super Josh

Graham,

How much did you pay for the thermostat housing? I cracked mine by not undoing the hidden cap head :) And what's stopping you from using your original alloy manifold? or did you fancy trying the plastic one out?

Taffy,

What's the issue with MAP sensors not liking wild cams? Do they suffer from inlet pulses in a similar way to the AFM when running alot of overlap?

Josh

Sign in to follow this