• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ahl

It Idles Perfectly! :d :d :d

fiji bob

buy some clear perspex and cut a window :lol:

fiji bob

you could fit neons!

Guest CB-Dave

you could still probably bend the contacts a little - just you'd have to do it in situ.

If not, try just pulling on the wiper assembly and see if it comes off - it might just be an inteference fit...

mossy

Took my AFM off today to do the adjustment to the ark of the contact arm. Having opened it found that it has been done before!!! :D Looking at it they adjusted the circuit board (the three little srews, if loosened will allow some adjustment to the ark)

Adjusted it by meens of the 7mm bolt so it runs on a fresh bit of resistant material and gave it a good clean with carb cleaner using cotton buds.

I did come across another problem :lol: the flap was sticking and not fully shuting against the rubber stop! if a bit of pressure was put onto the top of the shaft it would move freely. with alot of pissing around trying to adjust the flap on the shaft managed to get it run smooth, I also had to cut the little spring down to get it to run freely this spring seems to hold the assembly up inthe bearing.

When fittted back in the car the difference was felt immedietly, tic over was alot steadier and the responce felt better.

Has anyone else come accross this before???? :rolleyes:

newdean0

Would it help to lube the track a bit with something and what sort of stuff could you use? This might stop it wearing out so fast and might improve response.

fiji bob

no it might insulate the track

Wurzel
Would it help to lube the track a bit with something and what sort of stuff could you use? This might stop it wearing out so fast and might improve response

I don't think ceramic wears out quickly really. Let's face it, the tracks are worn now but they are usually on cars that are a fair few years old and if you watch the contact slider going like the clappers when you rev the engine, you get an idea of just how much the slider rubs the strip.

Robbie G

I wonder if the track can be painted over with any kind of conductive paint so that in effect the track is new?

Guest MiniMe

Isnt there a way of getting rid of all this outdated crap (AFM SAD etc)?

I read on here a while back that the 405sri doesn't use an AFM... is this true?

Anthony

That's correct - it uses Motronic engine management and has a MAP sensor.

pug_ham
Isnt there a way of getting rid of all this outdated crap (AFM SAD etc)?

I read on here a while back that the 405sri doesn't use an AFM... is this true?

Only some of them made in around 1991 iirc but they still have the SAD.

Graham.:)

Simmy

hmmmm... might do that... i've had idling problems but things just went from good to bad, then bad to worse then worse to seized :)

sure i'll fit in doing it at somepoint

Guest seb

Kris did you manage to do yours? I've taken mine apart and have hit the same stumbling block you did :)

KRISKARRERA
Kris did you manage to do yours? I've taken mine apart and have hit the same stumbling block you did :)

Not yet. I have a spare AFM here in my bedroom that I might try it on.

Is it possible to junk the "flap" AFM and use a "hotwire" version say off of a Vauxhall thats motronic?

Guest seb

Just looked at the price of a new AFM - £260!!!

Guest andy.robins

seb thats a refurb price, you send back your old AFM and get a £130 refund.

Retracked my carbon today and now also idles alot better / almost perfectly, think shes running a bit rich though, but no way to check it. :)

A

phil19gti

I've been away from this forum for a few days and I read a few people mentioning this possible solution over the last few weeks, but reading all these messages makes it sound like the cold start problem is getting earer and nearer to being solved.

I haven't got a spare AFM so I'm a bit aprehensive to have a go at this. Is it as easy as everyone says it is? How long did it take people to do?

This is really intriguing as I've had all the cold start problems that everyone else has had.

Thanks. :)

richt
Just looked at the price of a new AFM - £260!!!

From where?

Guest seb
From where?

I've forgotton already - parts4peugeots I think.

laser_GTI

just retracked my AFM today. Seems to be better already, pulling really well. Also cleaned the AFM unit + pipes and the panel air filter. The real test will be tommorrow morning. Fingers crossed!!

Edited by laser_GTI

Ahl

It's great to have so many people do this and find it easy and worthwhile.

Nobody seem to have broken their afm yet! :)

Perhaps this should be put up as a sticky? Or put in the technical section.

newdean0

Just a quick question - did anyone here test their airflow meter before they retracked it? I have idling probs and was going to retrack my AFM but thought i'd test it first. I used a battery and oscilliscope so I could get a really good look at the voltage and mine was fine, pushing the flap open caused the voltage to rise smoothly with no cutouts or noise on the signal.

By the way what idling problems does the tracking fix? Is it a lumpy i.e. misfiring idle or the slow swinging between 1000-500 rpms?

MartinR

the problem comes from the fact that the air flow is not smooth running through the AFM at idle and therefore, the flap is going haywire. Your finger will be simulating smooth air flow and not the pulsing effect you get at idle.

KRISKARRERA

True but whats that got to do with the carbon strip that the thingy rubs along?

Sign in to follow this