• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

J_Steele

Peugeot 205 1.6 Automatic Junior

J_Steele

Hello all, 

I'm going to be purchasing a 205 1.6 junior automatic this week! All very exciting, I am planning a number of modifications and it will be a rolling project. 

I have done some research and understand this 1.6 is the XU5 engine with lower compression than the GTI, what manual gear box would make a suitable conversion for this? 

I realise it may be a bit of work but it seems most parts bolt on? 

I essentially plan to build a semi-Gti with Dimma body kit and lightweight panels etc. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Screenshot_20240602_134809_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240602_134805_Facebook.jpg

pug_ham

A 1.6 GTI gearbox will probably be the best match.

g

pugdamo

I can't say this is fact for all auto 205/309 but a friend had one of the Jap import 309 GTI's which are all automatic, he went to convert it to manual but there was no recess in the end of the crankshaft for the input shaft in the gearbox, his options were drill the end of the crank out or the way he did it was swap out the crank from a manual 1.9. This may have only been something on the import ones but if you pull the box out pay attention to the end of the crank.

J_Steele

Thank you both for your answers, that's great I'll pay attention to the crank not something I had thought of. 

• Like 1

SRDT

Japan had manual 309 GTIs but LHD for the full exotic import car experience.

Only the RHD GTIs are all automatic, XU9J1 engine for the 3 door and XU9jAZ for the 5 door.

Is your engine the XU5M? This one has the same "big valves" head than the GTI unlike the carb engine.

pug_ham
18 hours ago, SRDT said:

Is your engine the XU5M? This one has the same "big valves" head than the GTI unlike the carb engine.

It should be imo, my mum used to have one the same year & that had the same spec valves as a GTI head.

On 6/3/2024 at 7:17 PM, pugdamo said:

I can't say this is fact for all auto 205/309 but a friend had one of the Jap import 309 GTI's which are all automatic, he went to convert it to manual but there was no recess in the end of the crankshaft for the input shaft in the gearbox, his options were drill the end of the crank out or the way he did it was swap out the crank from a manual 1.9. This may have only been something on the import ones but if you pull the box out pay attention to the end of the crank.

I'm surprised to hear Peugeot made a crank that wouldn't accept the gearbox input shaft specifically for an automatic version, I'll try to compare the crank out of my mum's old car to a GTI crank.

g

SRDT
4 hours ago, pug_ham said:

I'm surprised to hear Peugeot made a crank that wouldn't accept the gearbox input shaft specifically for an automatic version, I'll try to compare the crank out of my mum's old car to a GTI crank.

Spare parts are fully machined so that there is only one part number in stock but parts used at the factory can lack unnecessary features to save a few quid.

pugdamo
22 minutes ago, SRDT said:

Spare parts are fully machined so that there is only one part number in stock but parts used at the factory can lack unnecessary features to save a few quid.

That makes sense, one less manufacturing cost makes sense over a large number of cars. It may only be on the Jap import GTI's or it could be across all XU automatics but it's a potential stumbling block for the conversion.

J_Steele

Just got back from picking her up! Absolutely lovely after a good clean. 

So supposedly she's one of the last 205s sold in the UK, it's a Mardi Gras edition. Due to that it has a hump in the bonnet to fit a 405 overhead cam version so I'm told, it's also been converted back to a single carb from fuel injection due to an issue with the unit 20 odd years ago. 

I will have to rethink whether I want to upgrade the carbs or potentially go back to fuel injection. 

Other than that going to find some 13inch lightweight alloys if anyone can recommend? 

20240606_202057.jpg

20240606_202032.jpg

SRDT

The hump is for the carb/single point injection TB. The same engine with a GTI manifold doesn't need it.

J_Steele
6 minutes ago, SRDT said:

The hump is for the carb/single point injection TB. The same engine with a GTI manifold doesn't need it.

So presumably if I were to attach a 1.6 GTI manifold, I'd be free to remove the bonnet in favour of a lightweight one? 

SRDT

Indeed, even the 2.0 iron block that is a bit taller can fit.