• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stayclassysam

Idiot needs help with an XUD7 Head Gasket Change.

Stayclassysam

Hi everyone, I’m fairly new to the Peugeot scene having previously only driven VWs. My girlfriend recently got her hands on a 1.7ltr diesel Inca. The car had only had one previous owner and a ton of service history and appeared to be in amazing condition. However after driving it for 6000 miles or so the head gasket decided to blow. I was quoted £1000 fix by a few garages. One even offered to buy the car for £300. instead I decided I’d take the job myself as this was a car I feel I can learn a good amount from. However having purchased the gasket set, new head bolts water pump etc. I have a Haynes xud workshop guide on the way, but I’m really unsure as to what it is I’m supposed to be removing from the bay in order to get the head off. I’ve already managed to remove the cylinder head bolts with little trouble, but there’s so many different components that seem to be coming from the engine I’m at a loss for what’s next. I’ve read certain things saying you need to removed belts etc but I was wondering if this would be covered in the Haynes book. An idiot like me really needs a step by step guide on what needs to be removed. I also have noticed that there isn’t a diesel specific guide for the 205 so is the XUD guide my best bet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Tom Fenton

I’m sure the XUD Haynes engine book will tell you how to go about it. Quite a simple engine to work on tbh.

• Thanks 1

welshpug

like Tom said, the haynes diesel book is decent, I have two copies :lol:   they were written to fill in the gap as the 205 305 and 405 manuals only covered the petrol engines

you should really start by removing the belts and any ancillaries attached to the head before undoing the bolts, I think one of the engine mounting bracket bolts may go into the head for example, the power steering and vacuum pump belts would need removing from the transmission end.

exhaust downpipe needs removing, the manifolds can stay on and help give something to grab onto when lifting.

Edited by welshpug

Gohn
10 hours ago, Stayclassysam said:

instead I decided I’d take the job myself as this was a car I feel I can learn a good amount from

good one! the XUD7's and 9's are great

peug altered/improved a few things over its life so there's a little variation

with regular care/maintenance they're bulletproof so not sure what's happened with yours

anyway, the Haynes manual's good "Peugeot Diesel Engine service and repair manual" number 0950

there's also a less common Porters manual for Peugeot 106/205/206/306 which is ok for another angle

its a proper job to start with

hopefully you got a full head set (Elring, Payen etc are real good) and full timing belt/cambelt kit

the former has the cylinder head gasket and comes with a bunch of other things you'll need once you've got the head off like thermostat gasket, camcover gasket, valve stem seals etc

as recommended above, get everything off and out of the way before removing the headbolts, they're last and need to be loosened in the right order to prevent damage

the book will run you thru the order of removal (and bolt loosening  sequence) once it arrives

just take each bit at a time, set them aside and label stuff or take pics for reference as you go

then go onto the next part

drain your coolant first (if there is any - may be why your gasket blew, and check your waterpump later to see its not siezed for same reason)

then remove your air intake trunking, then timing covers etc etc

- dont forget to lock everything at TDC before removing timing belt and camshaft sprocket

- and careful with removing your thermostat bolts, actually all bolts/nuts really. if they sheer off its just a whole other pain you dont need