Jump to content

Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

  • Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

    Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Danez

Any tips for replacing a heater matrix? (306)

Recommended Posts

Danez

I need to replace the heater matrix in my turbo diesel 306 (Coolant found in the passenger footwell, blower reeks) 
Looking at the haynes manual it seems simple enough if not time consuming a tedious. but I'll give myself a few days to do it. 

Just wondering if anyone here has done this and has any wise words before i start ripping apart the dash!

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
calvinhorse

Take your time, walk away if it’s stressing you out, get stuck in it not so bad

 

replace your brake light switch while you’re in there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allanallen

CG cars in Leicester told me he could have a matrix out in 20 mins, take it there, hours labour at most to replace. 
 

took me about 7 hours from memory and it had a least one wood screw in it when I put it back together. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danez
12 hours ago, allanallen said:

CG cars in Leicester told me he could have a matrix out in 20 mins, take it there, hours labour at most to replace. 
 

took me about 7 hours from memory and it had a least one wood screw in it when I put it back together. 

2 and a half hour drive away.....tempting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pug_ham

I've got a guide somewhere from when I did mine, I'll have a look in the next day or two & see if I can attach it to a reply (might be too big).

 

As said though, not to bad as long as you're not in a rush to get it done.

 

I did mine at the same time as an engine swap.

 

g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allanallen
5 hours ago, Danez said:

2 and a half hour drive away.....tempting...

I’d take my comment with a pinch of salt as I honestly think there’s no chance, worth asking though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danez
39 minutes ago, pug_ham said:

I've got a guide somewhere from when I did mine, I'll have a look in the next day or two & see if I can attach it to a reply (might be too big).

 

As said though, not to bad as long as you're not in a rush to get it done.

 

I did mine at the same time as an engine swap.

 

g

That'd be brilliant cheers :D 

Yeah I've got 4 days off work so no need to rush, plenty of brews will be had

19 minutes ago, allanallen said:

I’d take my comment with a pinch of salt as I honestly think there’s no chance, worth asking though! 

Just rung them and they quoted £360 plus vat 
Not too bad considering they're French specialists but I don't fancy spending that much to drive that distance

cheers for the heads up anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allanallen

£360 + vat for an hours work, can’t be bad!

 

Seem to think I broke the matrix pipes on mine where it comes out of the bulkhead, double pipe thing, very brittle plastic/clip affair

Edited by allanallen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
welshpug

6 hours is book time from memory, which I have done one in, ac cars take a little longer but not much.

 

make sure you buy the right matrix, ah use BEHR, non ac used valeo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petert

disable air bag

remove steering wheel

drop steering column

undo dash retaining bolts, inc those on firewall

pull dash backwards away from firewall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pug_ham

I'll have to check my other external hdd for it but it was basically a pdf print off of this guide & this guide from the 306 GTI-6/rallye forum.

 

5 hours ago, allanallen said:

Seem to think I broke the matrix pipes on mine where it comes out of the bulkhead, double pipe thing, very brittle plastic/clip affair

I damaged the matrix side of this on my new matrix forcing it through the rubber bung on the bulkhead but luckily I got it to stay together until the car was scrapped a few years later.

 

g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danez

Cheers for the replies 

 

forgot to mention I have an immobiliser keypad. Is the best way to turn the car on, and then unplug the keypad while the cars running? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danez
6 hours ago, pug_ham said:

I'll have to check my other external hdd for it but it was basically a pdf print off of this guide & this guide from the 306 GTI-6/rallye forum.

 

I damaged the matrix side of this on my new matrix forcing it through the rubber bung on the bulkhead but luckily I got it to stay together until the car was scrapped a few years later.

 

g

Nice one cheers, a PDF of that second guide would be really handy as I can't get those images to load!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pug_ham

That's pretty good & should help.

 

I've attached a zip file both of the pdf guides I made when I was researching doing mine.

 

g

306_heater_matrix_change.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danez
4 minutes ago, pug_ham said:

That's pretty good & should help.

 

I've attached a zip file both of the pdf guides I made when I was researching doing mine.

 

g

306_heater_matrix_change.zip

That's bloody brilliant that is, cheers bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danez

can’t get the bastard matrix pipes out 

 

any ideas? moving the little clip to the right and trying to pull them out but nothing budges 

even tried to use some cable to pull it out but nowt! 

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danez

never mind, immediately after posting that i managed to lever it out with a hammer handle :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allanallen
6 hours ago, Danez said:

never mind, immediately after posting that i managed to lever it out with a hammer handle :lol:

Yeah that’s the bit I broke, well done :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allanallen
6 hours ago, Danez said:

never mind, immediately after posting that i managed to lever it out with a hammer handle :lol:

@Tom Fenton a man after your own with his multi function hammer :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Fenton
12 hours ago, allanallen said:

@Tom Fenton a man after your own with his multi function hammer :D 

If you can't fix it then f*ck it....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×