• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

td_w

Power steering on 1.9 thoughts/advice

DamirGTI
On 12/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, SRDT said:

Do you know why it won't mesh? Is the pitch wrong, the helix angle wrong regarding of the casing or is it the rack that is pushed too far to fit inside the casing?

On the rack that goes with a 9 teeth pinion teeth are cut deeper than usual.

Can't remember precisely , as it was about 10 years ago ... but from what i remembered think the teeth spacing was wider on a quick rack and was "less of them" (teeth) compared to the base model rack (3.2) .. base rack had more teeth and narrower spacing between each one .

Depth of the teeth cut think was the same on both .

D

DamirGTI
8 minutes ago, joris_andriesse said:

According to the ad/sneller, a 167hp version.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/2088590247.htm

Only XU10J4RS 167Hp powered Xsara's had quick racks .. early Ph1 models had 2.4 rack ratio , later redesigned Ph2 models had 2.6 .

Other possible donor is Citroen ZX 2.0 16v , it had 2.6 ratio rack ... but good luck finding one ! they're rare find nowadays , 16v models especially .

Though , you might find something in France .

D

SRDT
2 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

from what i remembered think the teeth spacing was wider on a quick rack and was "less of them" (teeth) compared to the base model rack (3.2)

If some racks have bigger teeth than others then counting them on the pinion isn't enough.

joris_andriesse

To give an update :)

That French guy selling the steering rack had two of them laying around, one with screm fittings (as shown on the photo) and one with clamping fitting. I could buy them both together for a good price (like what I would pay overhere for 1 used normal  steeringrack) and had them send to a contact of mine living in France. A week or two ago I went there to pick them up and last week I finally found time to unpack and inspect them.
The first one, shown on the photo before, is definitally not an VTS 2 rack. It doesn't have the right connections of the pipes and it has a 3,3(ish) lock to lock. I recon this steering rack comes from a normal xsara/306/berlingo/etc. I was already in doubt and that seemed correct ;) The other one on the other hand seems indeed to be an VTS rack, it has an 2,5(ish) lock to lock and it seems, as far as I can see/feel, in good condition, so i'm happy with that one :) So, now to figure out how to solve the issue of the clamping fittings instead of the screw fittings.

Anthony

"He who dares, wins" as the saying goes - sounds like you ended up with a cheap VTS rack, so get it fitted and enjoy..... it'll be a revelation if you've currently got a non-PAS 3.9 turn rack!