• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Luke

Horn, Demister & Cigarette Lighter Not Working

Luke

Hey

Standard electrical problems. I've worked out what it is but just looking for advice.

Everything off fuse 8 is not working (Horn, Rear Demister & Cigarette Lighter). Fuse is OK (changed just in case). All relays OK. I've got the fusebox out to inspect with a mulit-meter and continuity test.

Basically, everything is working except the join from M3 to the fuse F8.

Fusebox.jpg.a04bd31c46ff0b36c9f2e34345f3cc51.jpg

All the runs from the +ve side of the fuse are OK.

My question is there any tidy way to repair this? I'm reluctant to buy a second hand fusebox as it might fail somewhere else. I'm keeping an eye on eBay for a new one but nothing yet apart from the old one without the AA socket. I'm good with a soldering iron and would like to just re-solder the F8 joint and the M3 joint but annoyingly they are both hidden on the middle board and you can't open it up without removing the solder from every single joint!

The only thing I can think of doing is run a cable with an inline fuse from F8 to M pin 3 but that's horribly messy.

Any suggestions welcome.

PS, mods thanks for adding the functionality to upload pics!

• Like 1

Anthony
On 25/03/2018 at 11:09 AM, Luke said:

I'm keeping an eye on eBay for a new one but nothing yet apart from the old one without the AA socket.

As I understand it, it's not so much an age thing as a specification thing - fuel injected models had the fuseboard with the AA socket, whereas non-injected models (ie carb and diesels) generally did not.

Can't help with suggestions on how to fix it in a tidy fashion if you can't access the board without risking causing far more issues, but I do have a spare fuse board if you want me to bell through M3 to F8 and verify your findings?

Robin205

I have just taken out the fuse box from my car and won't be refitting it because I am going for a kit car fuse box, let me know if you want it (I don't want anything for it, just throw a few quid into a charity box).

• Thanks 1

Luke
2 hours ago, Anthony said:

if you want me to bell through M3 to F8 and verify your findings?

If you could that would be great. It may be the Haynes electrical diagram is wrong!

1 hour ago, Robin205 said:

let me know if you want it

I May take you up on that offer Robin! Would you be OK to post it if I PayPal the postage cost? 

Robin205
4 hours ago, Luke said:

If you could that would be great. It may be the Haynes electrical diagram is wrong!

I May take you up on that offer Robin! Would you be OK to post it if I PayPal the postage cost? 

Yeah that’s not a problem, I can find out the postage costs for you if you want? 

Luke

Yeah mate that would be great. I'll PM you my address.

No rush.

Luke

All sorted! New fuse box went in today and scared the neighbours with my horn.

Thanks again to @Robin205