• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Robbiedundy

New Car - Saving a Chav Boy Racer 205 GTI

Robbiedundy

If it's a rebuilt mill it'll all swap over nicely into another block, couple of hours work really. I had exactly the same with an engine I put in one of mine.

It's had a lot of work done to it apparently, my friend is trying to find his paperwork for it, I'll put it up on here when I get it - I've not got much of a clue when it comes to engines but I'm sure I'll learn.

I should add that the reason I thought I'd drained the coolant is that it had been filled without ANY antifreeze,as I had done some work (can't remember what exactly) on the cooling system before laying it up and was just meant to test for leaks.Costly mistake for the sake of saving a few quid if it all leaked out! Ironically I refilled with mixed antifreeze before it all pissed out on the floor.

Yeah my STDT has been leaking slowly for weeks now and I've just been topping it up with water so it's probably heavily diluted now, getting her in the garage tomorrow to get it ready for an mot so will find the leak and get some new coolant in it before it cracks too ????

jackherer

It's not just the block cracking that you are risking when you add plain water, antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors that protect the aluminium block and head as well as the heater matrix and radiator. Even an STDT with a cast iron block has an aluminium heater matrix and IIRC a very expensive radiator that need protecting.

welshpug

yep, the td rad has a specific 50mm core unit which is hard to find under £100 where the gti/diesel rads are £40.

Robbiedundy

I replaced the rad a wee while ago but still haven't found the leak, will have to check the heater matrix. Thanks for the info I'll make sure to use antifreeze when topping up ????

Robbiedundy

I ended up selling my STDT so I'm planning putting this one on the road asap. Dad says he's built engines before (although we have no proof of this..) so got the engine out and he's taken it all apart. I've been speaking to the guy I bought it off about what was done to it but he's lost the paperwork as it was done years ago, he says it's a 'Stage 3 engine fully lightened and balanced blueprinted built by gutmann' but I have no idea what that means ???? Toolie gave me his spare block, thank you very much!

Im at the stage of buying all new parts for it and not really sure what I need - got the crank out and measured the journals they're all within tolerance, the bearing shells all look okay but are you aswell changing them whilst it's all apart? I'm trying to keep the costs down but it wouldn't be very cost effective having to strip it all down again if they are no use ???? any advice?

Got the liners out and they look okay too - no lip at the top or that but haven't got them measured yet. Do I replace piston rings?

It also has this sump baffle thing

20170207_182453_zpsgkskj1jg.jpg

Other than an engine it doesn't need much else for mot - front calipers, droplinks, and a couple patches in the boot ????

Robbiedundy

Fast forward a few months, engines built up and runs spot on but the cars absolutely rotten and has some accident damage to the front end, bodywork was probably the first thing I should've looked at but another lesson learnt, it's getting parked up until I decide what to do with it, time to get on with my 205 GTi6 project.

Before pushing it outside I dropped the water that was in it and filled with antifreeze, I had taken the petrol tank of to have a better look at the rot so the coolant hasn't been circulated/bled, will there still be water in places with a chance of freezing and wrecking another block?

Anthony

It'll be fine IMO - there's not that many places that any notable volume of water can sit once drained, and what was in there should have mixed with the fresh coolant anyway.

If you're that worried, drain it and leave the cooling system empty over the winter.

PS. Your signature is presumably somewhat out of date seeing as it lists the STDT still and not the GTi-6 project?

Robbiedundy

Cheers for the help Anthony, I'll update my signature :)