• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Robbiedundy

New Car - Saving a Chav Boy Racer 205 GTI

Robbiedundy

Picked up this beaut at the weekend

20161110_154101_zpsgelw3rom.jpg

20161110_154114_zps5oz3qo2o.jpg

20161110_154151_zps4e01t3xf.jpg

Originally a 1.6 gti - now has a 1.9 engine/box, some tasteful mods ????, 1.9 rear axle, gaz coilovers & rear shocks, corbeau bucket seats, harnesses etc.

The plan is to put most of it back to standard and get it through an MOT, hasn't been on the road since 2007. I have most of the parts ready to go but not sure about a couple bits, keep 1.9 axle and raise it a bit or just fit my spare 1.6 axle while I'm at it, keep gaz suspension or use it on my 205 GTi6? I'm taking the bucket seats out but struggling to find some cloth green/black front seats.

????

j_turnell

Oh boy, even got a wish list! Very 90's. Should be a satisfying job putting it back to standard.

toolie72

Mad mental wing mirrors mate-see what you mean about the fish bowl lol

Different note-I was in scrappys yesterday, got pair of rear calipers of a fancy clio-they're spares for me but if you need, just shout

Robbiedundy

Oh boy, even got a wish list! Very 90's. Should be a satisfying job putting it back to standard.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it ☺

Different note-I was in scrappys yesterday, got pair of rear calipers of a fancy clio-they're spares for me but if you need, just shout

Cheers for the offer, I think I'm gonna just take the ones off this car and put my 1.6 axle back on I'll give ya a shout if I change my mind though! ????

allye

Love the return to standard builds!

How much did you give?

Robbiedundy

£600, thought it was pretty good considering the prices of them now and the parts on it, also got 6 1.9 alloys and other spares ☺

JamPug

Bargin I'd say

GLPoomobile

www.madpuggers.co.uk

:lol::rolleyes: Seriously, nae need!

• Like 1

AlexRS2782

Quite a few of the usual '90's through to the early '00's mods fitted there :hehe:

Lexus lights, open / debadged grilles, oversized rear spoiler, Devil back box, random door mirrors, shopping list (of items probably not actually fitted to the car), web address for a defunct forum, and bonnet pins.

Good price though at £600 and it doesn't look that bad condition wise (excluding the mods :hehe: ) in the photos. Bonus with the front bumper and red trim being in decent condition too by the looks of it.

Edited by AlexRS2782

Robbiedundy

Good price though at £600 and it doesn't look that bad condition wise (excluding the mods :hehe: ) in the photos. Bonus with the front bumper and red trim being in decent condition too by the looks of it.

Yeah it's in pretty good nick for £600, surface rust on inner wings and front panel, will need a patch in boot and various dents pulled out. I'm replacing the tailgate as it's quite rotten below the weather strip and bolt holes from the spoiler. Will probably replace the bonnet at some point too ????

Edited by Dundy53

Robbiedundy

Got this in the garage yesterday to start work on it, was going to drive it in but it p*shed all its water out when I went to check it. When I bought the car there was no coolant/water in it so we flushed it through to clean it out and had no coolant at the time, fast forward a couple weeks the water has frozen in it and as I took the cap off it released some pressure and cracked the block, I never knew this could happen but I guess you learn from your mistakes..

At least it's looking a little better ????

FB_IMG_1479844650980_zpsnui5pben.jpg

Andya

Looking lots better already, shame about the block though.

• Like 1

dobboy

Ah no way, that's a disaster.

Think I might just give mine some more anti freeze for it's in hibernation as it is absolutely freezing here too (-8), and no sign of it getting better.

Long John time I think.

Car's looking better already ????

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

It's a pain when that happens!!!

DSC00267.jpg

This one cracked the head too!

DSC00266.jpg

toolie72

I have a spare block

Was really keeping it as I've got 1.9 crank and rods,1.6 pistons etc and was gonna build it up as time/funds allowed

If you're desperate and I mean desperate give me a shout-but I'd prefer you tried gumtree/here first-no joke I had a cracked block-searched up here for ages, then got the two I've got on the same weekend lol

Robbiedundy

How did that happen Steve? Just with the cold or?

I have a spare block

Was really keeping it as I've got 1.9 crank and rods,1.6 pistons etc and was gonna build it up as time/funds allowed

If you're desperate and I mean desperate give me a shout-but I'd prefer you tried gumtree/here first-no joke I had a cracked block-searched up here for ages, then got the two I've got on the same weekend lol

Cheers for the offer, I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, I've never taken an engine apart. The plan was to put this on the road asap because my STDT is running out of mot soon and needs a lot of work for another one, looking at it now I think it would be better just to fix it and find a complete 1.6 gti engine for this one later ????

Bobbafett

I was going to say 'how? we haven't had a frost yet?' but then I saw your location!

toolie72

Aye, gumtree it first-you never know what someone's got stashed away-I got my 1.9 with all ancillarys for £150 up in balintore (Stuart he's sometimes on gumtree himself) and it dropped in (aye ok it was a fecking struggle haha) and its still going strong

DON'T put steel seal into it!!! Believe me it can turn into a major can of zombie worms

steve@cornwall

Car sat outside all winter,I thought with no coolant in it. Come spring I filled it up, started it and it started leaking quite profusely! So yep, just the cold. Shame, was a nicely worked head and reportedly a rebuilt bottom end, pro built to run on carbs for hill climbing. Couldn't use the cam in my standard 1.9 as the valves contacted piston crowns.what a waste.

allanallen

If it's a rebuilt mill it'll all swap over nicely into another block, couple of hours work really. I had exactly the same with an engine I put in one of mine.

Gaz205

Is this a common problem? Should a garaged car suffer this fate too potentially in a more 'normal' climate ?!

welshpug

it can happen to any block that hasn't a strong enough mix of coolant/antifreeze if the temperature drops far enough.

Gaz205

it can happen to any block that hasn't a strong enough mix of coolant/antifreeze if the temperature drops far enough.

All safe here then, thank you

steve@cornwall

I should add that the reason I thought I'd drained the coolant is that it had been filled without ANY antifreeze,as I had done some work (can't remember what exactly) on the cooling system before laying it up and was just meant to test for leaks.Costly mistake for the sake of saving a few quid if it all leaked out! Ironically I refilled with mixed antifreeze before it all pissed out on the floor.