• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy

[Car_Upgrade] Yet Another Mi16 1.9 Build

GilesW

Sorry only just noticed the questions for me.

In short - Corsa epas worked well.

Provided good level of assistance where needed.

I would say it deadened the feed back a bit though, but got used to it quickly.

It's a big lump to get under most dashes though.

Andy

A little more progress, but slower than I had hoped. I had trial fitted the alternator with its adjuster when the engine was on the stand. When I came to fit said alternator and adjuster bracket , the adjustment bolt hit the front panel. Back to square one. Anyway, a bit a fiddling with some bits I had, including part of the adjuster from an 8v engine sorted the problem. The wiring for the car systems is now complete so that everything works, including warning lights and gauges. I have tried to re wire in such a way that the engine management system is completely separate from the rest of the cars wiring. The only connection between the ecu and the dash will be for the rev counter. The next stage is the exhaust manifold, followed by the exhaust, then the drive shafts , then lots of fuel and water plumbing and an ecu loom to make up, and lots of other details, so I think I will be busy for a few months yet!

post-26334-0-91827500-1491546415_thumb.jpg

post-26334-0-89731800-1491546428_thumb.jpg

petert

Why are you using an Mi16 oil cooler? It's a lot easier to use an original 205 GTi water/oil cooler & remote filter mount.

Andy

Morning Peter. I am not planning on using it . It came with the block and as I did not have the threaded insert to connect the filter to the block, I used this water/oil cooler as a spacer. As it happens, I have a 205 water /oil heat exchanger complete with aeroquip hoes to connect up which I will use when I get to the oil and water plumbing . Next job is to bolt up the exhaust using your excellent wedge plate. And yes, I do have the copper base locktite and the tip from Doc Sarty either to fire up the engine soon after fitting ( no chance) or curing the locktite with some heat from a blowtorch.

Andy

Andy

Progress update. Manifold and exhaust now fitted, although the latter was a sweat. In the end, cut and reangle of the downpipe Wes needed but all o.k now. Bodies and throttle linkage in place. Next stage will be the oil plumbing I think , followed by the fuel rail, regulator and couplings.

post-26334-0-52396100-1492187947_thumb.jpg

post-26334-0-25849600-1492187957_thumb.jpg

Shane17

This is looking outstanding Andy you should be chuffed to bits with it you've done a comendable job so far and wish mine would turn out even half as good, you can already see the standard this car is going to be finished too already. What is your plan once complete, keeping hold of it or to sell on once you've had some use?

Andy

This one is a keeper. I have spent far too much time ( and money!) to,part with it. I am enjoying the build process and, at the same time, looking forward to driving it. Selling it would almost certainly mean that I lost money, but that is not the point. If one was doing this sort of thing just to move it on afterwards, I am not sure I for one would have the determination to worry about all the details. Because I am doing it for myself, the motivation to do everything to the best of my ability is much higher. Thank you so much for your kind words. I cannot help but notice the odd thing that I am not 100% happy with or feel that at least I have compromised on something and made the wrong choice. Oh well. Press on. I see that you have your plate full with the welding repairs in the engine bay of your car. I have never tried using a gas less mig . When doing mine, I had the benefit of a decent mig welder and Argoshield gas which helped to produce a smooth and non -aggressive weld . Having said that, the thin steel on the 205 is a challenge in places!

petert

Nice work. Love your accel cable and good exhaust clearance on the tunnel.

Andy

Thank you. The latter was a pain. In the end, it was my downpipe that was causing a clearance problem rather than the angle of the manifold( how could I have possibly doubted!!!!!) .Once I had cut and re-angled the downpipe al the clearance problems disapppeared. There is a piece of heat shield still to squeeze in just around the manifold to flange area . A few mods and I am sure it will fit. Next job is to plumb in my remote filter, air/oil heat exchanger and associated pipes . As it stands at the moment, getting water pipes to the exchanger looks like it would be a real pain. Obviously Peugeot managed it on the 405 but I am surprised that they did not use the remote set-up they already had, or have I missed something here and the heat exchanger I have was not originally for this engine?

welshpug

there were a few different iterations of heat exchanger setups used by peugeot, mostly fed from the top hose, or thermostat housing, 205 and 309 return to the top hose but many others return to the other end of the radiator.

some were block mounted and some remote.

petert

If using the 205 remote filter and cooler, use the matching top radiator hose. It has a T with two smaller hoses which run down to the cooler. Beware there are two types, early and late. They changed the direction of the outlet/inlet pipes on the cooler.

edit: I could only find one hose, 1343E9, but there definitely two types.

#11, remote cooler - 1103E6

post-2864-0-06294200-1492246064_thumb.png

post-2864-0-49710800-1492246413_thumb.png

Edited by petert

Andy

Thank you Peter. I have two types of heat exchanger, the only real difference is the direction of the water outlets and a top hose like the one shown in the first picture you posted, which pretty much determines which cooler I should use. Only dilemma as that the new cooler has the wrong outlets for the hose I have and I have no easy way on checking that my older cooler is undamaged. It certainly looks ok, cleaned out well and is now on the car. Plumbing for the oil filler, breathing and catch tank will be a bit more of a challenge!

post-26334-0-91713600-1492269953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

the oil system runs at a peak of roughly 6 bar with the xu10 relief spring, so if you can rig up a way to pressurise it and see if you get any leaks, that will save you getting oil in the cooling system if it does fail, which they can do but thankfully not too common especially if good coolant has been used and changed as required.

Andy

Thanks for this advice. The one I have fitted looks very clean and corrosion free internally . What I may do is blank off the water feed from the rad top hose just to begin with so that in the event of the heat exchanger leaking, it just leaks oil onto the garage floor ! Moving back to the wheel discussions we had a couple of days ago, both 434 and 675 speedlines are available. They look very similar but the 675 seems to give even more caliper clearance. Do you have any knowledge or experience of these?

calvinhorse

Excellent work Andy, I'd personally have the engine in my living room :D

welshpug

SL675 is a renault wheel, slightly narrower and deeper offsets, and 4x100.

Andy

Ah. No use then. Not to worry. The 434's look great and will be a better fit that my current wheels. Thanks for the engine compliment . Much appreciated, but it is only any good as a decoration if it does not run well. !!!

Andy

I have started to plumb up the fuel system and it occurred to me that my fuel pressure regulator might need a vacuum feed . I am not sure as it must depend upon how the K6 is mapped, especially at tickover and the overrun as to whether the map compensates or the map expects the fuel pressure to fall to compensate for less than atmospheric pressure . Call to Emerald I think, unless anyone reading knows the answer. I have already drilled and tapped a vac take off for the servo, so I might be able to tee into that pipe

welshpug

you don't need the vacuum with throttle bodies, standard fixed rate works fine, you wont get sufficiently stable vacuum on bodies for it to work well, its all in the mapping.

for the servo you may need to tee into two runners to get sufficient vacuum.

Andy

As always, Thank you. You are a star. Not thought about the pulsing from one choke for the servo. Another tapping on the inlet methinks. Damn. It's bolted on too.

Andy

Extra note. You were right about the price increase on the SL 434 wheels. I just got a set in time as Speedline have increased their prices as from this week

jackherer

I'd try it first, mine is fine with the servo just connected to one runner.

petert

Depends if the K6 can do TPS/MAP blending. I have a tap on each runner, which adds the pulses together. Fuel is primarily TPS and ignition is MAP. I'd ring Emerald and discuss latest thinking before committing.

Andy

I am going to give Emerald a bell on this one as they will have met this situation dozens of times. Progress on crankcase ventilation. I have managed to plumb in the o.e 8v system for filler and head . The only bits left are the vents from the filler cap that were positively vented to the induction system. I plan to pipe both of these to a breathable catch tank which I hope will give me sufficient ventilation whilst ensuring that the original filler/ oil separator can do its job properly

post-26334-0-81209700-1492586791_thumb.jpg

post-26334-0-47288900-1492586808_thumb.jpg