• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy

[Car_Upgrade] Yet Another Mi16 1.9 Build

Tom Fenton

The only modern-ish car I can think of using separate coil ignitors is a mk4 golf 1.8 turbo. They use a pair of Bosch modules to do 4 individual coils, although it may well fire them in pairs as wasted spark.

petert

I don't believe it would need any software change. Your current ECU is grounding the coils, which would now be done via igniter.

HT-020006_IS.pdf

Edited by petert

Andy

These are the AEM coil drivers. They do the heavily lifting and ground the coils for the appropriate dwell time. They are triggered by the falling edge of a 5v pulse from the ecu, so the ecu , instead of switching to ground and sinking the coil primary current, provides a 5v logic pulse with the coil in an ‘off’ state while the AEM input is held at 5v and an “on” stage triggered by the falling edge of the pulse . Hence the change in software setting to TTL 5v . Or at least that is what it says in the AEM manual for this 4 channel igniter . Those LS1/2 coils look different. They have a driver built in  and need a ground to trigger the primary current , as per your diagram from several pages back. They are very neat coils, but as you said at the time, installation is a bit of a pain as they need mounting somewhere 

Anyway, test  time today. The ecu can plot histograms of various signals , so I will play with the coil dwell time and log the TPS,WTS, battery and other signal voltages at tickover .

petert

The pdf I attached is also looking for a falling edge. I just assumed they'd all be the same?

Andy

Well.TPS and WTS signals fluctuate in phase with  the battery voltage.Given  that both are supplied by a 5v stabilised supply from the ecu, how a 0.1v battery emf change can get to the signal inputs is a little puzzling . Oh, and a drive out made the ecu disconnect after 20 mins and refuse to reconnect. Got home .Put car in garage and reconnected the ecu immediately .

Frustrated ? Me? You bet . Decent weather today. Long bike ride planned . That requires not ecu connection , so everything will be fine .

Tom Fenton

I think I'd be hand delivering this ECU back to where it came from. Probably through their front window, Attached to a brick.

petert

I concur with Tom.

Andy

I have suppressed that emotion. I have ordered an AEM quad channel coil driver. Why? Because if I do return the ecu ( and that is now the most likely option ) , then using a coil driver external to the ecu ( the way that Peugeot / Bosch did it on the S16) keeps the heavy current signals away from the ecu and leaves the ecu with the ‘easy’ job of providing a 5v pulse or switch to ground as appropriate . It is also a neat wiring installation. So, whatever the ecu, life becomes easier . 

I have booked a team viewer session with ME today. To be fair to them, they have been and continue to be very helpful and supportive. I am convinced that the problem lies in the software and it’s association with the internal hardware. ME wrote the former but the latter was designed and made by a third party ( Dunno who) 

I know. To misquote the tv advert, ‘ should have gone to Emerald ‘ That will probably be a phone call this afternoon !

Well. Must sign off. Lycra time. You can rip the piss out of me next Monday Tom. 

Tom Fenton
17 minutes ago, Andy said:

You can rip the piss out of me next Monday Tom. 

Would I do a thing like that!

Frustrating that it doesn't work, but hard to say anything other than why not stick to what is known to work!

petert

I've got a brand new SM4 Autronic for sale.........

Andy

Ecu on its way back to Motorsport electronics this morning. 

Tom Fenton

Andy

Brilliant. Thanks for you help and wisdom last evening. I went onto the mega squirt site this morning ( after packing up the ecu) Hmm. It is a clone with completely different software.

Andy

Update. Emerald installed. Ford coilpack and Magnecor leads running wasted spark. Cam change ( another story) and trip to the rolling road today. Curves posted later. Headline. 216bhp @7000 rpm. Quite modest really . Torque  190ft.lb @5200rpm. Delighted with the torque figure . Power and torque climb steadily from 1700rpm and cross over at just 200rpm beyond peak torque . Result is it  is a gem to drive. Possible downside is that as 5500rpm gives 190hp revving beyond is a diminishing return. Makes a glorious sound though. 
Right. Just the handbrake cable to fix( one got too close to the exhaust pipe , melted 

and seized the caliper on. One pair of cutters later and the problem was solved until I can replace it ) 

That was a slight embarrassment . Are their cheaper and easier ways to get the above output?Yep. Less exciting that an xu9j4 but much more linear power and torque delivery from a much lower rpm . Perfect for an old git like me to pop down to the post office to collect his pension .

Tom Fenton

Great news, glad after all the work and headache with the ECU we shall not mention, that you are pleased with the results!

I look forward to a ride up Baslow Rd at the next meet.

Andy

First page is power and Afr, second page power and torque .

A1142824-2BAC-449F-8CE9-10B749A662A2.jpeg

3D273479-A195-4EA2-B9C6-1ABFFD505459.jpeg

petert

Well that is fantastic news. That thing will be a hoot to drive!

Andy

Yes.Goes quite well. Just the cold start and warmup to sort , and the handbrake cable. I have to confess that I could not stop grinning all the way home back from the rolling road, even though it was rinsing it down with rain, and I had ridden for over three hours in the above mentioned rain whilst the car was having its neck rung on the rollers .
 Note to self.Do not break this one 

petert

What gearbox/cwp do you have? I'd imagine the standard 1.9 GTi box would be perfect.

Andy

Nope. MI16 with an ATB . The engine is very happy to rev, so I will leave the box as it is at the moment. For long distance cruising, a taller 5th would be an option, but that would leave me with a big gap between 4th and 5th . You can try it next year Peter !

welshpug
8 hours ago, petert said:

What gearbox/cwp do you have? I'd imagine the standard 1.9 GTi box would be perfect.

i guess thats different to the euro 1.9 box, as that would take you to 160+ if it would pull all the way :huh:

petert

I'd use Mi16 too, but isn't the perfect gearing hitting redline in 5th?

Andy

I am going to play for a while and see what I think. I have two spare complete gear casings, already aqua blasted, a gearbox rebuild set and several sets of ratios , including a 1.9 set . Currently , first does feel a bit low . The box I built that Speno now has used 1.9 1st-4th , 6th gear from a GTi6 to act as 5th and the 4.1 final drive . That was a nice set of ratios for the xu9j4 engine on bodies . Oh. Hand brake cable replaced and a very complimentary note from the rolling road operator (Kevin) whom I had emailed to thank for his great work on Tuesday . Handbrake cable still embarrassing though .

Breakfast and then my first stab at cold start mapping 

Tom Fenton
9 hours ago, petert said:

I'd use Mi16 too, but isn't the perfect gearing hitting redline in 5th?

On a track/competition car yes I'd agree totally, but for a road car, maybe not. Having the thing revving its bag off when sat trying to "cruise" on a long journey soon becomes tiresome. Especially with this motor Andy has built with big torque.

petert

That's my point. I'm pretty sure that Andy's car will pull 7000 in 5th with a 3.62 cwp and 0.865 5th.