• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Gears Difficult To Engage

davemar

Over the past couple of weeks I'm beginning to struggle to engage gears, both getting in and out of gear. It seems worse when the car has warmed up. The movement of the gearstick feels fine, so it's just that last push to engage it. I keep adjusting the clutch cable to raise the biting point which helps a bit, but I'll soon run out of thread. I'm not getting any clutch slippage, or funny noises. Could it be the release bearing on the way out or something else?

The car is a 205 1.9 GTi with an Mi16 engine, clutch & flywheel with a 1.9 BE1 gearbox.

Anthony

Check the clutch arm quadrant isn't bending and that the gearbox isn't coming away from engine (lower rear bolt in particular)

toolie72

As above (I lost the rear bolt-cap head-somewhere!!) had about 1mm of a gap between engine and box (at its widest) but enough to make it feel as though you wouldn't even get out of gear

davemar

Check the clutch arm quadrant isn't bending and that the gearbox isn't coming away from engine (lower rear bolt in particular)

You've got an echo in there!

As the picture shows the culprit is pretty obvious! At least it is an easy thing to replace and I haven't got to fanny around taking the gearbox off.

post-3420-0-56865000-1469267168_thumb.jpg

davemar

A bit of hammering and welding, and the arm is back in shape. Back on the car now and the gear changes are back to normal. Not a penny spent which is even better!

dcc

Theres usually a reason they bend... Personally id hit it back and weld it. But more likely to be other bits requiring attention

jackherer

I agree, it's worth keeping an eye on. A while back I straightened one and welded it up and everything seemed fine initially but shortly afterwards the ball joint inside the gearbox that the paddle pivots on came away, it's only held on with rivets.