• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Silky

1990 Miami Blue - Got One At Last

Silky

I want to change the window regulators and doorlocks beforehand so gonna be a while before I can do it.

Will take some photos of what I can find and make sure it doesn't leak in the future.

JamPug

I believe it was undersealed after being welded, but will check, good thinking Tom.

Know what you mean about the plate, I do have a cherished plate I could put on it but doesn't suit the car, A5 LKY

Could be worst mate you could have the number plate BRA like me which everyone likes to point out aha

Silky

Changed the door locks, boot lock and ignition over to a same key set...so much easier to have them all off of the same.

Tried to find the internal water leak, run a few jugs of water over the roof/winscreen/scuttle.

Appears as though it's coming in from the corner of the scuttle. I ran a line of tiger seal down it and will need to test it again.

Windscreen seal seemed fine, nothing through the door, just hoping the internal heater is fine too.

Had loads of twigs and dirt come out of the drain holes so am hoping it was a mix of those being a bit clogged and the small holes in the scuttle area.

However, while sorting this out I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the matrix. Luckily most of the dash is out along with the carpet etc, so shouldn't be too difficult to swap over for a new one.

Now need to hope the water leak has gone, get the matrix changed and then find some underlay to lay down before fitting carpet and seats

Silky

Still got a leak into the passenger footwell, though not as bad.

I've re-fitted the scuttle panel properly under the windscreen seal, but it may now be coming in through the heater box, one more time to lay on my back and have a look.

Managed to find time and get the heater matrix swapped over, though not re-filled the water system or bled it yet.

Trying to find time in this poor weather and so close to Christmas is tough, wife not overly enthused with me being out on the car.

Silky

Managed to get the water system filled up and ran it to temps, fan came on a couple of times and water running around the engine. Had a spill of coolant from matrix but nipped up the pipe to matrix joint and it solved it. There may still be a slight weep but may have been residue spillage.

Still got a leak on pass footwell but smaller. Think it may be from roof area as its in middle of footwell and no sign of it running. Have placed a tub under light/aerial area.

Had a go at putting some of the interior back in. I may need to use the car this week so need the seats. Not ideal as id rather leave it all out but needs must. Managed to fit some standard house underlay in the car, came out ok

E0E84829-C828-4761-AE7F-079BE0CF2946.jpg

E4B28B51-AED3-409B-869D-BF2488005247.jpg

C2831550-1977-49A9-BF21-B026BFD8FF63_1.j

29022336-0EDD-4F4C-8D7A-FA64B513A1F8_2.j

• Like 1

Silky

So the last few months have been pretty quiet, not done much to the car as weather has been poor. Managed to get out to a local meet in it, but it just showed how bad the wiring/ignition side of things was on the car. It runs terribly and just isn't happy once you put your foot down.

I've always wanted a Miami Blue 205 and to know have one that I can't enjoy was frustrating. However, it's not a car I use much (sub 1000 miles a year) so took a decision to upgrade a few things and get this engine out.

I recently bought a P2 306 GTI6, was very local and very cheap, with the intention of dropping the engine into the 205. I've been able to sell a few things off the car and basically get the rest of it for free. It's done 78K and the engine pulls very well, smooth and quiet. The rest of the non-sunny shell is actually very tidy and have been told it's one of the cleanest, non-rust, shells out there. But it has to be sacrificed.

It's now been dropped off to have the work done, with the engine + brakes going into the 205.

I'm going to keep with the 1.6 box for now, run it like that for a year and see how I like it.

I will be selling the 1.9 GTI engine and all associated parts from both cars that aren't used, will offset some of the cost of the conversion work.

Some will say that I should've left the 1.9 engine in there, but to be honest the car was originally a 1.6, so was wrong engine anyway. I want a fun car with some more power, the GTI6 fits that bill and I'll have a car I can enjoy.

A few photos here, nothing fancy, more to follow as the work takes place

4A34CCF1-C78C-4426-9F49-317526F6B1A7.jpg

9B18D8FA-6B2F-4A5C-BA20-94156DE6A433.jpg

1AF4BF69-D15D-4F55-8DC9-15698126CB08.jpg

B4CDB51B-5D62-4578-B500-5DFA9FDB96B4.jpg

D724EA06-DD1E-4BB8-AA79-FC1171506912.jpg

C910B898-7582-4325-B608-AB8AB7D715A4.jpg

Weser

Nice! Cars coming together well. If your happy with going down the gti6 route then it doesn't matter what others think. Its going to be a lovely motor. Great that you have been able to offset a lot of the costs too. Looking forward to seeing it when its done. My little one is 6 months now so hopefully be able to come to some meets again and catch up. I have never been in a gti6 converted car yet maybe you can give us a ride sometime I would love to see the difference between the gti6 and standard 1.9.

Silky

Will be good to see you again Andy, lots of sleepless nights and hard work over last six months for you, you need a break....

Doing it this way to keep costs down, I could've saved more by breaking the GTI6 properly, but I just don't have the time.

Anyways, not overly fussed, will get something I like and enjoy. Welcome to jump in for a spin once it's back

Juttie205

When you hoping to get it back bud.

Weser

lots of sleepless nights and hard work over last six months for you, you need a break....

You are not wrong!

Looking forward to getting back out - need to do the odd job on the Gti but nothing major.

Silky

Will be gone for a couple of months, given it extra time so that it can be done properly.

I hardly use it, though it will be missed. Hoping to get it back late May / early June so I've got time prior to Pugfest etc to drive it about

Juttie205

same sort of time frame and plan as me then

Silky

So I now have the car back from having the conversion done and I'm very happy.

It went to Carl Chambers back in early March along with the donor GTI6, photos above.

The car went in a complete mess, the electrics had been completely messed about with by a previous owner, so nothing worked and it was awful to drive. I've had the GTI6 engine fitted, the front brakes and the power steering. The interior loom has been replaced and lots of other bits and pieces have been tidied up.

First off, the engine. Has had all new belts, tensioners, waterpump, oils, filters etc done. Have had the BBM coolant kit also fitted along with a replacement inner wing metal pipe. The gearbox has stayed as a Be3 1.6 box and now runs an Mi16 clutch. Front brakes from the GTI6 have been fitted, nice big 283mm jobbies filling the gap behind the wheels very nicely. The power steering was also swapped over, it's nice to use at slow speed but retains some weight while driving so is a very nice balance.

I've now also got all dash gauges and lights working, although the replacement loom I got was from a CTI, so I have lost use of the rear wiper and heated screen (tempted to dewiper).

I have tried to keep costs down by selling spare parts, I'm very happy with what I have spent for what I have got. The conversion is very neat and tidy, am very impressed by it all.

I still need to sort out a few interior issues, mainly radio and doorcards. The body cleans up well but has a few little dings over it which I'd like to get sorted. The exhaust is a little bit farty, it may just be the rear box, so is something to look into. The rear height is still a little low, but I'll use it for the summer and then decide what to do with it over the winter.

Overall I'm very pleased with the conversion. The drive is fantastic, it's fun to use and I have some more power to use if I need it.

Photos to follow shortly

nomis

That looks smashing. Great work. Looks like it would be a good fun drive too.

JamPug

Looks right at home in there ! How did you tackle the brake master cylinder clearance on this one ?

Silky

The cam covers were trimmed to allow clearance, no tilting or washers were used to space it out
I'll try and get a photo for you

roland rat

Seen this on Carl's facebook page.

Looks lovely mate and I bet it's great with the GTI-6 Lump fitted

Silky

Only done 100 miles in it so far, but it's very easy to drive and the extra power feels great. Loving it at the moment