• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Silky

1990 Miami Blue - Got One At Last

Silky

Used to be 'theoilburner' car, along with about 20 others by the looks of things. Was sold by him earlier in the year to a guy local to me who needed to move it on.

It's a Phase 2 Miami which needs lots of fiddling and tweeking along with some welding. Looks clean from distance but has marks and pin dents here and there.

Lots to do and will keep the thread updated.

Currently kangaroos like a goodun when driving in almost every gear

C4F9ED44-E370-4BB0-A5CA-20459B481E10.jpg

89CB36EC-FC41-49CF-AB32-56567E958EA3.jpg

1CB0E755-E75E-4166-81B8-ED5FCF9A9C4F.jpg

D77AB747-C4DA-44B9-8EBE-90D2868CD9B6.jpg

Definitely needs the exhaust looking at and that backbox swapping off

• Like 1

DBG

Looks great. Congrats!

stevon

Congrats! Looks a lot cleaner than my Miami Blue 205 does at the minute :(

Silky

It goes off for some welding in a week or so, then I'll have to tackle the interior and some wiring, looks like I have my work cut out.

BED64B79-51BB-4FB5-9E07-667CDF62A123.jpg

D734B116-FF3D-4A2D-AB85-76BFECF12DA4_1.j

72820102-0A89-4306-B603-83BF5127B369_1.j

As for the exhaust, appears to be a Magnex manifold with a 3" system and 4" exit. Really want to put something standard back on.

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

Nice one Silky :)

Silky

Interior has been stripped of seats and carpet etc, is going off at the weekend for some welding and other jobs.

They'll have it for a couple of weeks as I'm in no rush. Once back, interior re-fit and hopefully get to work on the electrics to see what does and what doesn't work.

Am hoping it doesn't need a complete new loom, trace back what I can and get it all working again.

Lovely job for this time of year

johniban

Wish my miami looked as good as that!

nomis

Looks like a nice base for tidying up. What welding does it need?

Silky

Exhaust tunnel has cracked.

Drivers seat front mounting point has cracked.

Rear foot wells have holes in corners.

Under rear seat had a hole.

No idea how it passed last MOT.

Having a new lower engine mount fitted.

Magnex exhaust taken off and replaced with standard Walker manifold back system. Retaining Magnex 4-1 mani though.

Few other bits and pieces then I'll need to re check wiring as lots of things do not work and engine kangaroos badly. Think sensors and AFM are not wired properly.

Someone has retro fitted elec windows so gonna swap them out and also fit a 'one key' lock set

Silky

It's still in the garage having the work done, had a call with the guy on Friday about it.

They'd just taken out the fuel tank so as to not blow the car up, were preparing the areas for repair.

Have checked out the rest of it while it's in the air, has apparently had the rear inner sills repaired previously and all looks good.

I noticed on the MOT failure sheet from earlier in the year that the subframe mounting points had excessive corrosion, so got them to check it all out as it passed an MOT the following day but no proof of any work done. All areas look fine so something must've been done, they're going to clean the areas up and put some underseal on.

Should get it back this Saturday. They've got to finish the welding this week and then do the exhaust and engine mount.

Silky

Welding has been done, not the prettiest but at least it's repaired and I won't have the issues going forward.

Handbrake adjusted, onto the engine mount and exhaust today.

nomis

That looks pretty good. I imagine the day I find rust like that on mine, I'll freak out at the welding involved and finding someone to do it. Seems like you found someone to do a decent job, was it pricey?

Silky

I really don't like rust, welding and bodywork. Mechanical issues I can get my head round and have a go, but this was well beyond me.

Is being done locally, not had the final bill yet but will be around £250. I might have been able to get it done cheaper, but I trust the garage and know they're honest.

nomis

Trusting the garage and knowing they are honest is often fundamentally the most important thing, I reckon.

That sounds a decent price for the work.

Silky

Very true, the work done to the car was exactly what I asked for.

It's now back on my drive and is much more solid now the welding has been done, peace of mind for me that it's been repaired and all checked over.

I have a leak though into the passenger footwell, I'm gonna have to check the sunroof drain pipes and also check whether it's coming in through the passenger door.

Then I can fit some underlay and get the carpet back in along with all the other seats.

Have got a day off next week, hope the weather warms up

Tom Fenton

I would just check for yourself that they have painted the underside where they have been welding. If not it will have burned the paint off and will corrode quickly.

The car looks very similar to my H reg Miami, the reg plate on yours is unfortunate though, every time i see the picture I think tw@t!!!!

Silky

I would just check for yourself that they have painted the underside where they have been welding. If not it will have burned the paint off and will corrode quickly.

The car looks very similar to my H reg Miami, the reg plate on yours is unfortunate though, every time i see the picture I think tw@t!!!!

I believe it was undersealed after being welded, but will check, good thinking Tom.

Know what you mean about the plate, I do have a cherished plate I could put on it but doesn't suit the car, A5 LKY

DBG

Just out of curiosity, I've never pulled the carpet out of a 205 before. Are they all silver underneath or did this car used to be a different colour?

Silky

It's a very light shade of blue on the inside

DBG

It's a very light shade of blue on the inside

Well, there you go. Thanks mate. Loving the progress updates.

Silky

Time to get the talcum powder and hose out, I have a leak in the passenger footwell.

Luckily I have no interior fitted.

Guess is either bulkhead, windscreen seal or through the passenger door. It currently has no plastic membrane or doorcard fitted

ATK

Probably the door mate. Same here before. You need to seal up those doorholes as water pisses through otherwise.