• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

[Race_Prep] My New Racecar Build

Richie-Van-GTi

Well quick update. After a long drive today to doncaster and north wales plus a few ebay purchases my parts list is this.

46mm throttle bodies

1 x gti6 engine

1 spare pair gti6 cams (going to oz next week)

1 gti6 downpipe

1 xu10j4r spare bits engine

1 306 xsi gearbox

1 safety devices 6 point cage

1 cobra monaco pro seat with 4 point harness(out of date but useful for setting up)

1 RichW flywheel

1 Valeo MI16 clutch kit (push type cover)

1 MS2 ecu

1 Satchshift (thanks baz and welshpug for bullying me into buying one haha )

1 pair of brembos

1 pair 305mm discs

1 x 206gti rear beam with calipers

1 pair gti front hubs and shafts.

1 full set of lexan polycarb windows with sliders including rear screen.

1 maxisport fibreglass bonnet from france

1 13row oil cooler and sandwich plate

Still got a long way to go but I should have enough to make a start. Just need to make space for everything but no time.....croft this weekend with the evo

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi

Little update, will add pics this weekend. Not had much time as I've been sitting exams for my degree and working full time plus been on holiday. I finally got the engine bay stripped out, just the abs to remove and some BSI boards. Interior is mostly stripped out, dash and carpets to go then wiring. All my PC windows have arrived as well as the plate for mounting the cage so target for the weekend if weather and time allows is to get rid of tailgate, finish stripping interior, remove all glass and then start to sort out where the cage will sit and pick up the chassis etc.

Ditched the Huge Merc brembo's as there were a few issues to overcome so opted for 406 brembos with drilled and grooved 288mm discs. Also picked up a set of Citroen steely style alloys.

johniban

What model were the merc brakes from? guess they didn't fit under the wheels?

Richie-Van-GTi

They were from a cl500. They fit under 16s with spacers but they mount too close to the bottom balljoint so would create restrictive turning.

Richie-Van-GTi

Bit of progress. The interior is stripped apart from some bulkhead insulation. Windows are gone ready for the lexan ones, tailgate and bonnet are gone ready for maxisport fg ones. Cylinder head is in the shop getting done and the bittom end us now nearly assembled with new shells and gaskets etc.

Richie-Van-GTi

But if an update. The car is now going into storage for a while as I am moving home. Progress so far as follows.

Engine is now semi assembled so far as head pistons block etc all togethere. Not timed and no lifters inder the cams yet as not had time to make the solid lifters. Gearbox has new clutch fork, arm and bushes along with shaft seals and Satchshift top arm. Engine and box mated together with RichW flywheel and new push type clutch set up. Then both sat in engine back using some drilled box sectuin as a temp top mount arm.

Started fitting the satchshift but doesnt seem to want to mate with bulkhead so awaiting colin's advice.

Cage is welded in after fabricating custom feet for it since it didnt come with any.

The polycarb windows are fitted all round now as are the fg tailgate and bonnet. Not painted yet as undecided on colour schemes.

Rear dusc beam now on with Koni adjustable shocks. Need to set height when everything else set up and built.

Fromt suspension will go in with new arms, track rods, arb bushes etc when I fit the driveshafts.

Next job is finish the trailer so I can pick the car up to work on it easily as no working at the storage facility.

Few pics on way, not 100% up to date.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi

sorry no proper interwebs connection yet. Hope these work.

bonnet1.jpg

box1.jpg

boot1.jpg

engine1.jpg

side1.jpg

shift1.jpg

cage1.jpg

cage2.jpg

cage3.jpg

cage4.jpg

cage5.jpg

cage6.jpg

cage7.jpg

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi

the pics are before I finished the windows and hung the engine in etc, Car is now wrapped up like a Xmas prezzie in an undisclosed location so progress from here will be slow. Cant work on it the storage factility...understandable looking at the other cars in there. Parked next to 2 morgans and opposite a hard top cabrio Audi S2 Porsche!!

Anthony

What's the deal with the B-pillar legs on that cage? Had it been cut out of another car previously and they cut those at the leg rather than removing the feet or something?

Is the aim to try and have it ready for the start of the season next year?

Richie-Van-GTi

Long Long time since i posted on here, car is still sat in storage as I took on another french project over winter. Built a Relay Motorhome for myself :P .

Anthony yes the previous cage owner had the base plates welded in and just cut round the welds so I didn't get any feet with the cage so had to make from scratch.

I am hoping to drag the car out in next few weeks, whip the head back off and drop it in a machine shop to be shimmed up. Just dont have time myself. Will also give me chance to get the top mount fabricated and try resolve the issue with the satchshift not mating to the body as expected.

Richie-Van-GTi

well after nearly 2 years in storage I decide to drag this back out and do a bit. Funds got really tight, had nowhere to work on it and uni took priority. I have decided to get the engine running as a standard 6 lump for now so I dont have the expense of remapping. trackday it for a year then decide if its worth spending the extra to race it or just do something else. Pretty sure I will have some fun with it.

Anyway after 1 week on a driveway the engine is built up and in, engine mounts made and installed, satchshift installed, all the drivetrain stuff done and big brakes etc. Lowered 180 beam in place (it had an SW beam but seized whilst stood). Currently sat on the alloy steelies with some scrap tyres :P

As you can see, all the wiring to do and plenty of plumbing. Since the photos quite a bit plumbing is done and oil cooler is fixed in place etc. Got no fuel hoses yet or clutch and accelerator cable.

post-6753-0-88365800-1502050349_thumb.jpg

post-6753-0-91285000-1502050360_thumb.jpg

post-6753-0-05231600-1502050373_thumb.jpg

post-6753-0-53530800-1502050386_thumb.jpg

Richie-Van-GTi

Blast from the past here. I finished this car about a month ago, result was 890kg, running a standard gti6 engine bar a mildly increased CR, bigger decat exhaust system and induction kit. I used a fuseboard from car builder solutions and have fully functional wipers and lights etc so with a cat it would pass MOT if I wanted it on the road. Engine is very responsive with RichW lightweight flywheel. Sat on C5 alloys with R888R tyres, brembo front brakes and 180 rears, carbon Lorraine pads all round. Goes pretty well

IMG_20190411_172111.jpg

47689138_10217657017927792_8457415523565568000_o-1.jpg

Richie-Van-GTi

Last job to do is to roll the front arches as the wheels poke out a bit. Was going to put some universal extensions on but they looks a bit gash. Rears are rolled and look good enough.

Kane

Looks very clean Richie, top work! Front end looks great with a little poke. 

Tom Fenton

890kg is a good result. Where has the bulk of the weight loss come from?

I’ve a 206 Grand Tourisme, I think in general they are an underrated thing.

Richie-Van-GTi

Tom bulk of the weight has to be the interior with carpets and underlay. There was big sound deadener on the bulkhead that weighed around 8 to 10 kg on its own I reckon. Obviously glass is a good weight loss as well. My bonnet and boot are fibreglass as well. I really hoped to get to 800kg but with a blue book spec cage and seat its pretty hard, I would have to attack it with a hole saw as there are no obvious weight loss opportunities now. I will run it for a year, get the suspension and brakes right then stick the throttle bodies etc on it and start chasing more power.