• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RichE

The Most Expensive Speedo Cable In The World?

Robsbc
Fitted it this morning. All in it took 70 mins. (Approx)

Was quite apprehensive. Took it round the block, FABULOUS! It works, PROPERLY!

No shake at it, silky smooth and dead straight. So took it on the by pass. Fine.

Got home, waited an hour. Wanted to see how it would react after sitting virtually next to the manifold for an hour with no cold air. Went for another drive, bingo.

Finally cracked it, and it doesnt tick anymore.

One happy bunny!

One mod i would highly recommend!

:D;):D :D :D:):D :D :D :D :D

U need to wait over time me thinks before you can say for sure as a new cable without wrap will work fine to begin with...

Guest chris.rice

F*** the speedo concentrate on the road when your beeting the next car on the road,also you only need a rev limiter so things dont go boom!!

speedy

i solved the problem.

took off all the dash and put a rev counter instead :)

now the speedo won't judder.

RichE
F*** the speedo concentrate on the road when your beeting the next car on the road,also you only need a rev limiter so things dont go boom!!

No Mr Max Power.

You dont seem to be seeing the point. If you have something that doesnt work as it should then its unacceptable.

The way I see it is I have a speedo, its not great guns but you would expect a sodding speedo to work, even on a complete shed. When passengers (i.e. Fit women) get into your car and all they can see is a speedo needle shaking all over the shop it doesnt exactly strike them with confidence.

Get my point? If *I* am going to own something, then it will work as it should do, end of story. Everything on my car works, as it should, as Peugeot intended. Can you say the same?

Anyways.

Speedy you mong I already have a rev counter :)

Rob_the_Sparky

Are but are you sure Peugeot intended it to work without shaking? Me thinks it will work much better than Peugeot ever intended!!!!!

C_W

As robsbc said, you need to wait a while (months) to see if it has worked properly as a new speedo cable always fixes the problem but it reoccurs about a year later. So in 2011 you will have broke even!!! :)

RichE
As robsbc said, you need to wait a while (months) to see if it has worked properly as a new speedo cable always fixes the problem but it reoccurs about a year later. So in 2011 you will have broke even!!! ;)

That doesnt sound right.

I say this because this will now be the third cable I'm on. The new one (From Peugeot) I put on last time only lasted about a week. :D:)

Pugnut
That doesnt sound right.

I say this because this will now be the third cable I'm on. The new one (From Peugeot) I put on last time only lasted about a week. :wacko::(

quite often it can be the gearing on the diff thats wrong . its plastic gearing taken off the driveshaft and it gets pretty worn i guess because its plastic.

RichE
so do i guess that on the 205 it come up from the gearbox and straight through the bulk head on the LHS. Then snakes in almost unpredictable fasion to the RHS and virtually doubles back on its self to get to the console?

I couldnt be faffed trying to find a small double jointed child to route mine so took it over the back ot the engine and in through the RHS straight to the console. Just wish i hadnt put in a knackered cable at the time :(

It plugs into the gearbox which is on the passenger side, then goes over/behind the exhaust manifold's heatsheild, into the bulkhead not to far away from the master cylinder and then roots into the dash from there.

So from gearbox it goes: Up, left, over, sharp turn right, straight into dash.

(Directions given as if you were standing in front of car)

RichE
Would running the cable under the exhaust manifold not help matters? Or maybe some cold air ducting directed at the cable.

Not long enough im afraid.

Zoldalma

I admire you for taking on the quest to make the PERFECT 205 (or, to make the 205 perfect), it is not for the weak-hearted :(

Robsbc
That doesnt sound right.

I say this because this will now be the third cable I'm on. The new one (From Peugeot) I put on last time only lasted about a week. :wacko::(

My speedo cable was replaced with an oe peugeot item at the same time with a new speedo.

Just prior to my speedo failing the needle was boucing like mad and then stopped. Thought it was the cable but it turned out my speedo was dead. A new cable and new speedometer were fitted (5 years ago). There's very little shaking from the needle below 40mph above that there's no shakes. I've covered 40,000 miles, the original broke at 67,000 miles.

Failing after a week? Not sure what's happening there...

NickR

My OE cable is a year old and still solid.

I regreased all the gears on the speedo, and on the connector to the gearbox with some old grease I have for plastic gears from my R/C car racing days.

Also, I have run a heat shield on my exhaust manifold for good part of this year, which could help.

Guest chris.rice

hey i own the original hot hatch as many of us do, you and your quest for the perfect peugeot 205 1.9gti no chance!!just like theres no chance of jennifer lopez sitting in your pug and seeing the smooth acelerater needle!! :(

Guest Vanny

I blame OracIe!

When this thread started my speedo was happily wobbling away to its heart content, didnt worry me at all!

But as the thread has progressed its got worse and worse, now its starting to 'click' so i dont give it more than 100 miles before the cable gives up the ghost :(

Oh well, i'll just wait till i get the other car on the road!

Edited by Vanny

Guest jeremy
just like theres no chance of jennifer lopez sitting in your pug and seeing the smooth acelerater needle!! :D

Yeah but then again if a man goes to these lengths and cost for perfection, just think of the ring he could get for J Lo now Bens kind of in the background. The only dificulty is how would he manage to get all that extra holiday time to fit it on her finger B):D

Oracle I only wish I had either your dedication or money as my Pug doesn't quiet get the love it so deserves. :(

Guest chris.rice
Yeah but then again if a man goes to these lengths and cost for perfection, just think of the ring he could get for J Lo now Bens kind of in the background. The only dificulty is how would he manage to get all that extra holiday time to fit it on her finger B):D

Oracle I only wish I had either your dedication or money as my Pug doesn't quiet get the love it so deserves. :(

Yeah but then again if a man goes to these lengths and cost for perfection, just think of the ring he could get for J Lo now Bens kind of in the background. The only dificulty is how would he manage to get all that extra holiday time to fit it on her finger

perfection or stupidity?were talking £90 hardly a diamond!also the guys oviously got too much time and not a lot of sense but hey what do i know a f***n lot moore than you lol :D

RichE
Yeah but then again if a man goes to these lengths and cost for perfection, just think of the ring he could get for J Lo now Bens kind of in the background. The only dificulty is how would he manage to get all that extra holiday time to fit it on her finger B)  :D

perfection or stupidity?were talking £90 hardly a diamond!also the guys oviously got too much time and not a lot of sense but hey what do i know a f***n lot moore than you lol :D

Is that so Mr Rice.

nick

Here we go again.......... B)

Nick

p.s. Mr rice, call me thick if you want, but what are 15" Tantrums?? :D

Edited by nick

Gaz
p.s. Mr rice, call me thick if you want, but what are 15" Tantrums?? :D

Arent they designed for really big gals on the rag?

Gaz

nick

Are they the ones with wings?

Nick

Sam
When passengers (i.e. Fit women) get into your car and all they can see is a speedo needle shaking all over the shop it doesnt exactly strike them with confidence.

I doubt you'd get a bird in youre car saying 'your speedo is juddering' i think [or it would in my case] be a little different topic of conversation :D Or perhaps you could bore them with how you solved it lol B)

Guest jeremy
When passengers (i.e. Fit women) get into your car and all they can see is a speedo needle shaking all over the shop it doesnt exactly strike them with confidence.

Hey with their head shoved up against the steamed up rear side passenger window Oraclel you maybe able to overcome this situation so to speak :D:(

Anyway I would like to think that you would be more interesting to a Fit Women more than your speedo, oh how wrong I must be :DB)

I just hope you've kept your knob well greased up as reckon it would have gone rusty withh all the attention on that shakey speedo. :D:D And the last thing you would need is for that to creek.

Sign in to follow this