• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RichE

The Most Expensive Speedo Cable In The World?

RichE

Ah yes!

I have mad spells as some of you maybe aware!!!!

Anyways.

Shaking speedo needle because cable doesnt like heat from the exhaust manifold, a common problem amongst GTi's!

Right? WRONG!

New cable: £10

Special heat proof ducting + heat proof tape: £80 (From demon tweeks)

So £90 on a speedo cable, but it wont shake!!! Yes I am mad.

:D

Pics:

Cable1.JPG

Cable2.JPG

Cable3.JPG

Cable4.JPG

Hehe. Oh the lengths I'm willing to go to get a perfect GTi! :)

Leet205

lol, hope it actually works.....not that i doubt you...nope... :)

RichE

It bloody wants to.

No, let me re-phrase that. It WILL.

:)

Soon find out, im swapping them over on Friday whether permitting.

Leet205

I'm only having a laugh anyway mate!, im pretty confident it will work! bloody should for £90!! :)

RichE

If it doesnt, at least I can show it off at meets, and claim that my car boasts the most expensive speedo cable in the world.

EVER

Part III

Guest pugboyracer

Oracle, I salute you. You are the antithesis of my "cobble it together, that'll do attitude". :)

NickR

I make a heat sheild for my exhaust manifold, total cost: Nil.

Keeps heat out of engine bay.

Best to stop the problem at its source.

RichE

I'm doing that as well, the heat shield came with my piper induction kit and bolts onto the manifold.

It doesnt feel right if I dont spend some cash

Wurzel

Personally I'd I'd have spent the other £80 on beer. There is however, nothing like making sure. I bet you wear two condoms at a time.

(for protection of course not size!!)

Hope it works but I'll laugh my head off it doesn't.

RichE

:D

Better to be prepared, if your gonna do a job, you may as well goto town.

When I make something, i make it to last!!!!

Anyways, even if its a total cock up I'll lie

;)

Fuqa
Personally I'd I'd have spent the other £80 on beer. There is however, nothing like making sure. I bet you wear two condoms at a time.

(for protection of course not size!!)

Hope it works but I'll laugh my head off it doesn't.

im with u on this one nick

90 sheets on a speedo cable is quite alot.., rather waste my money on beer, and in my local strip club.......mmm 90quid is entrance fee, and 3 dances.. send back the cable rich :)

Sam

Heat sheilds are rubbish half the time tho, far better to wrap...

Guest Ben Allen

So thats what causes it then?

My mates Graphite Grey GTI has a speedo that does that.... can cure it now :)

jacobs53

I believe its the heat from the exhaust manifold, that heats the oil inside the cable which then causes the cable to stick. In time burning through the plastic covering.

This dosn't happen On TU engines as the exhaust is at the front of the engine. Before anyone asks from the TU forum.

Fuqa i bet it even worse on the 2.0 turbo engine, all that extra heat from the turbo! I got an idea to stop it anyway, il keep you posted on my progress

cheers lee

Guest Vanny

Interesting theory about the heat. Has it been proven (other than the different engine exhaust positions)?

Ive taken a couple of dead ones apart and inside is pretty much a coil. I find on dead ones the coil has kind of seperated (got gaps instead of being flush), I figured this was down to age and nothing more, so i happily live with my wobbly speedo. But after 60 its stupidly accurate as ive found at Santa Pod, spooky really!

Perhaps reverse causes the coils to slowly come apart?

Think i would be tempted to spend that money if it was deadly accurate!

Could a digi speedo not be fitted from a newer pug? I think i have a digital sender which fits into the box exactly the same as the cable one!

jacobs53

where have i seen that bx 16v? alright vanny :)

lee

Fuqa
I believe its the heat from the exhaust manifold, that heats the oil inside the cable which then causes the cable to stick.  In time burning through the plastic covering.

This dosn't happen On TU engines as the exhaust is at the front of the engine.  Before anyone asks from the TU forum.

Fuqa i bet it even worse on the 2.0 turbo engine, all that extra heat from the turbo!  I got an idea to stop it anyway, il keep you posted on my progress

cheers lee

no mate mine fine... and from all my receipts, mine seems to be the original cable and look like it too... mines ultra close to the turbo, and has been for a year now, cable still working beautifully...not a juddering speedo in sight :)

Edited by Fuqa

RichE

Tomorrow (Weather permitting) will be the moment of truth, Ive even booked a day off annual leave for this moment.

How exciting!

Simes

Good luck!

I fitted a new speedo cable to mine in the summer - after 400miles it all started over again :)

KRISKARRERA

Yet another thing to be caused by the transfer from left to right hand drive. In left hand drive cars this cable would be shorter and less twisted and further away from the heat!

RichE
Yet another thing to be caused by the transfer from left to right hand drive. In left hand drive cars this cable would be shorter and less twisted and further away from the heat!

Ah, but like the murphys, I'm not bitter.

Guest Vanny

so do i guess that on the 205 it come up from the gearbox and straight through the bulk head on the LHS. Then snakes in almost unpredictable fasion to the RHS and virtually doubles back on its self to get to the console?

I couldnt be faffed trying to find a small double jointed child to route mine so took it over the back ot the engine and in through the RHS straight to the console. Just wish i hadnt put in a knackered cable at the time :)

Guest simonb

Would running the cable under the exhaust manifold not help matters? Or maybe some cold air ducting directed at the cable.

RichE

Fitted it this morning. All in it took 70 mins. (Approx)

Was quite apprehensive. Took it round the block, FABULOUS! It works, PROPERLY!

No shake at it, silky smooth and dead straight. So took it on the by pass. Fine.

Got home, waited an hour. Wanted to see how it would react after sitting virtually next to the manifold for an hour with no cold air. Went for another drive, bingo.

Finally cracked it, and it doesnt tick anymore.

One happy bunny!

One mod i would highly recommend!

:D;):D :D :D:):D :D :D :D :D

Sign in to follow this