• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Clarky3rdNut

Sunroof Fixings Help

Richie-Van-GTi

Drilled all mine out and fit M4 capped end rivnuts. Waiting to get the car back before I put it back together with stainless M4 button heads

Telf

I broke quite a few screws. All the rear seal ones where corroded and a couple along the main frame also.

So I refitted my sunroof using the remaining screws at regular intervals and M4 dome head screws in the rest.

To make sure it doesn't leak I coated the thread of all with sealant.

I also coated the rails . Essentially it's never coming off again, but it's never going to leak either. All trim is refitted and is secure.

Not the perfect solution but good enough. There is no visible difference compared to pre removal

Edited by Telf

Ryaner
On 4/23/2015 at 9:54 PM, mrfirepro said:

would it not be simpler to replace like for like???

If you wanted to use a rivnut solution I would make sure you can get the screws first as most are corroded and snap when trying to remove. There are two different types.

this one for the front and side

P1040496_666x500.jpg

these are the ones that go through the rubber strip behind the sunroof glass.

P1040501_666x500.jpg

you will also need some M4 fibre washer

P1040545_666x500.jpg

Hi Paul - can I but in here and ask a quick question please. My sunroof is fixed all round with the first type of screw and I'm looking to remove for a re-spray. Is it as simple as just removing these and the frame lifts out? I saw a video somewhere where the guy had removed headliner to get access from inside for some reason? Thanks

Telf

i took my headliner out. the rails are attached from the top so you dont technically need to remove it. be aware those screws will probably break or are corroded. i dont thnk you can replacements any more

ian010778
On 6/8/2020 at 2:48 PM, Telf said:

i took my headliner out. the rails are attached from the top so you dont technically need to remove it. be aware those screws will probably break or are corroded. i dont thnk you can replacements any more

Paul, is there a particular knack to removing the trim from the outside? The sunroof is the last bit I need to remove from mine before bodyshopLOLs and I've been putting it off all spring!

Like you, mine will never be taken out again so I'm not fussed about original fittings etc. when it goes back together but the trim feels so flimsy and I don't want to snap it :unsure:

Telf

Not really once the front is unscrewed it slides forward . The side bits then slide forward as the are clipped on with the raised screw heads. Just be really gentle as the plastic is brittle and will break easily

• Like 1

jj007205

Just to clarify from above: To get to the bolts etc

*Front plastic trim has 2 bolts accessed from inside the car (from under interior/map light area)

*Trim then slides forward (careful of the little pastic tabs)

*Side trims now accessible and each will have a screw 

*Side trims now slide BACKWARDS and secured by little plastic 'tabs' which can be VERY fragile.

Don't force anything. While potentialy counter intuitive, you can gently (few mm) rock/move side to side before sliding backwards ...Suggest wd40 or similar to aid process.

sunroofclips.thumb.jpg.1237dee88d1d98f9794e225f7997129f.jpg

Hope this helps clarify.