• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m_john_m

Picking Up A 205 Mi16 Today

m_john_m

I have a nice little red 205 1.9, it's only been on the road since January and I have had it for over 2 years due to insurance reasons and a few running problems.

I went to the 3 sisters race track the other week and fell in love with how it drove. I know it's only a small track but I was having a surprising amount of cars such as scoobys and was closing in in my mates 370bhp evo!

So I decided I wanted a track car, I was looking at a few cars,, a track prepared 1.9, GTi6 engined car or the MI.

After reading up on what engine people would rather have in there track car they seemed to choose the MI, so that's what I decided, and the fact it had already been lowered on spax, hill limb arches with spacers, comes with 2 bucket seats including the full interior, and 3 spare speed line wheels. It does look pretty awesome :)

From pixtures it looks cleaner than my 205 so I don't know what way to go...... track the MI or my 205 :/

IV read up on the oil surge problem, and without causing a major debate as read on other posts, is there a viable solution?

Anyone got any I for regarding setting it up as a track car. It doesn't have a cage but I will be putting one in it sometime soon.

Standard brakes at the moment, I have GTi6 brakes on my normal 205, should I swap,them over?

dcc

xu10 oil pump spring, sump baffle and healthy engine = no oil surge issues tbh

• Like 1

m_john_m

xu10 oil pump spring, sump baffle and healthy engine = no oil surge issues tbh

Thanks mate! I'm going to look into ordering these asap!

Where is best getting these parts? How hard are they to fit? Would I need a ramp?

m_john_m

So picked her up from Wakefield today! Person I. Bought it off was very sound, shame I only spoke to him over the phone as he was working! Very honest with the car.

It's a white 1.9 GTI with MI16 conversion. It absolutely loves to rev, once it hits 4000 rpm the engine goes mad and takes off! I think it's got cams in it as I can't see that being standard! Maybe wrong as never been in one. Engine seems to run sweet! Bit lumpy when cold, what's the best way to sort this? It's not been used in a while, today was it's first long run. It ticks over just shy of 2k, how is best to resolve this, do they have an idle control valve?

It's been lowered by 50mm on spax,I'll climb arches, cobra fixed bucket seats.

Interior is very clean, better than my other 205 anyway. It came with original interior, the only bit of wear I can see is on the drivers bolster. I also got 3 spare speedline wheels.

Paintwork isn't that great but I don't care as it's just going to get thrown round a track.

Unfortunately the wheels rub on the original arches so I need to cut them back.

What do yous think? Honest opinions welcome! Good or bad ;)

04a1a4c0e87e2dbc8e3ed45ecb59c69e_zpsdb3d

6f7993779e884523c514a9280bb03b46_zpsb515

5becb441e02ba6975d74c4f881294123_zpsf342

6780e6a2c7caabbcbadfa603fb226c2e_zps4432

yeti-dj

Looks like it's still running the gti distributor with an adaptor plate.

I would get rid of this and fit the correct dizzy, wiring and ICV and the idle will be far better and the engine will be far happier..

Have fun

Miles

I saw that for sale somewhere, But the engine's on std Jetronic 205 8v injection so it will never run right, Strangely enough I've had a customer buy one to the same spec and it runs the same, but doesn;t get on song to around 4500rpm so it's going on Omex which will see a good 20bhp out of it as on that set up power is generally no more than 150bhp,

So with some TLC she'll get there :)​

m_john_m

Ahhhh thanks for the info, how much is that going to cost?

Is there much work involved?

m_john_m

For now I'm not too bothered, it's going to get stripped and tracked, it's a starter track car, if I take to it then I may upgrade in the future :) it won't stay below 4k when on the track haha!! For now I think it's bestnto concentrate on oil starvation

dcc

Good cheap alternative to a full baffle setup. You buy the spring from peugeot for pennies, or from spoox for about 10quid

• Like 1

m_john_m

Good cheap alternative to a full baffle setup. You buy the spring from peugeot for pennies, or from spoox for about 10quid

thank for the info, would that sump fit because ill just order it now. i will get my uncle to order the oil pump spring, hopefully fit it all this weekend!

Miles

You will need all the bolts to go with it, the XU9 ones are too long, I'd just get the old Pug sport type baffle

Edited by Miles

dcc

is that true miles? I've never swapped the bolts nor had an issue with fitting, as they're both aluminium sumps?

• Like 1

Anthony

is that true miles? I've never swapped the bolts nor had an issue with fitting, as they're both aluminium sumps?

It's because of the spacer plate on XU9JA and XU9J4 engines.

If you run an XU10 sump and aren't running a Petert style extended pickup, you need to lose the spacer plate to make the sump the correct depth. Without the spacer, the XU9 bolts are too long so you need the shorter XU7/XU10 bolts.

m_john_m

How hard is to fit a new sump? Does it require the gearbox to be taken out like some cars?

boldy205

The sump itself is self explanatory, remove, clean both faces well, re fit, if its an aluminium sump just use good quality RTV as a gasket. From memory fitting the sump with a PTS sump baffle is a right giggle with oil dripping in your eyes! :)

m_john_m

The sump itself is self explanatory, remove, clean both faces well, re fit, if its an aluminium sump just use good quality RTV as a gasket. From memory fitting the sump with a PTS sump baffle is a right giggle with oil dripping in your eyes! :)

thanks for the help! the only reason i ask is that i have asked my uncle to help me/do it as im useless at this stuff he is very busy at his garage.

it will be going up on a ramp so should make things easier! i think im going to order the 306 GTI sump for now and see how i get on, could also do with fitting an oil pressure sensor, has anyone got any recommendations on a kit?

I would like to get most of the stuff for this weekend. track day next week is fast approaching!

Miles

No kit's for oil Gauges, again the cheap ones come with a plastic pipe and the wrong fitting on the end, so it's generally make your own up

yeti-dj

For your management and to get rid of the old 8valve distributor your going to need a complete mi16 engine loom and the various parts that need to be changed, like the idle control valve and dizzy cap, rotor arm etc.

Well worth doing, the engine performs far better when it's running what it's meant to. Not to hard to do either, easy done in a day or so even if your not too sure about it.

m_john_m

Hanks for all the info it is very helpful!

I'v got 2 x 205s and still don't know too much about them!

I think I would rather pay someone to do is as I wouldn't have a clue what to do when wiring is concerned, I seen someome try wire up a 1.8t engine I to a mk3 golf and put me off for life lol

I wil do some digging!

Just ordered a 306 gti sump with a track door off a 306 breakers on eBay! He seems fine as I have already bought stuff off him for my other pug.

So am I right in needing to Oder xu9 sump bolts to make it fit properly?

• Like 1

JeffR

You'll also need the baffle plate that's bolted to the oil pump as fitted to most XU10 engines.

m_john_m

You'll also need the baffle plate that's bolted to the oil pump as fitted to most XU10 engines.

Where can I get one from? Can't seem to find them :/ or the chain for the oil pump! I can find the spring so going to order one of them today

welshpug

pug dealers! if you aren't getting the spring from a pug dealer dont buy it today.