• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
savage16v

Newbie With Miami Blue Mi16 205 Gti

dcc

that land rover though! :)

savage16v

10366076_10152586531054623_614606297434010462595_10152586531134623_7764478586310

that land rover though! :)

I thought when I posted that....If someone comments on the Defender and not the Pug.......LOL :)

savage16v

10425474_10152968289539623_2595307024744

So lastnight we set about some tweeking, checked the timing which my friend had done for me whilst I was at work, and it was 18degree's, backed it off aiming for 12-14, got to 14 and seemed good, and funnily enough that lined up perfectly with the markings skip brown had made....

Then set about checking the carb set up, bit of balancing, and checking each cyl was running ok fuel wise.

Found the following....

Cyl1 was perfect, Cyl2 was a tounch rich, cyl3 was very rich, cyl 4 was lean.
Altered the mixtures so they were all as good as can be with the tools we had etc.

Also noticed it had a random odd plug!

Then realised the fan had not kicked in, fan is not working.

So then set about fitting the correct passenger front seatbelt and swapping heater control knobs (the ones it had looked rough).

It was late by this time so called it a night.

Tonight is service/belts etc, fix fan, some more checking/tweeking of carbs.

That should be it until after the weekend fingers crossed!

savage16v

Well got my garage back, had my mates Subaru in there but that is now at the unit so I could take the Pug home :)

First clean and road trip, drove to Essex faultlessly :)

Can feel it will benefit from the rolling road tune up on Monday but overall very pleased....

Performs well, drinks fuel & sounds great... What more could you want!

It got a lot of admiring looks on the way and has cleaned up well.

After the dyno tune I will have it up on axle stands & wheels off, clean all the underside, suspension, brakes etc. a lot of the underside components are powder coated etc & want to get them all cleaned up!

Great journey in it today & getting to know how it drives...

One very happy 205 owner right now!

savage16v

Well, for anybody interested.......

Dropped the car off this morning @ Clive Atthowe Tuning for the proper dyno set up.

I found out the previous owner had turned the rev limiter down to 6700rpm, although all old dyno's show peak power @ 7000rpm. (lol)

I let Clive know this and asked for it to be turned back up.

Clive just called, informed me that as I suspected, the carbs were out of balance, and the timing needing adjusting.

He balanced the carbs, ran the car on the dyno and it peaked at 160bhp :(

He raised the limiter, then did a couple of runs whilst making adjustments on timing and fuelling.

End result was 179bhp peak power which is much more like it :)

Very pleased, and cant wait to pick it up in the morning :)

Anthony

Sounds like it should be much improved when you get it back :)

savage16v

Sounds like it should be much improved when you get it back :)

I certainly hope so :)

Going to collect it before work tomorrow, so looking forward to the drive to work, hoping its dry!

A 19bhp gain should be slightly noticeable :)

Now its all sorted running wise I can start loving it and getting it back to its former glory :)

dcc

I hope you get a fair chunk through the rev range and not just up top!

When I had my 8v engine on carbs it felt flat through the mid range, until about 5k where it came alive, making approx. 172bhp (guess at the flywheel) - comparing the graph with a recent (guess at the flywheel) graph giving 176bhp peak, but a wedge more through the mid range (old carbs vs new throttle bodies) - engine unchanged.

savage16v

I will know tomorrow, he said that the carbs could ideally do with jetting as it goes slightly lean right at the top of the rev range.
He also said the engine has a lot more to give, if it wasn't on the old Distributor set up.

I will get the graph uploaded on here tomorrow :)

From driving it over the weekend, the torque is not too bad, and the midrange is ok... but too be honest, I don't mind having an engine that you have to really thrash anyway to be honest.

I am not sure what my plans are with it to be honest, depends how long I keep it.

Main focus now is to get it cleaned up as well as possible, and looking mint again.

Then I may sell it towards the end of next year, but if I end up keeping it for a long while then I will no doubt take it to the next level in terms of power/performance.

It should feel a totally different car with an extra 19bhp already though :)

Edited by savage16v

savage16v

Went and collected the car yesterday morning.

Had a good chat with Clive (took it to Clive Atthowe Tuning in Norwich).

He explained the changes he made, and the differences they made.

Said its a very well done conversion, and a lovely little car.

Sadly the roads were wet & it was rush hour, but I could fell the car felt much better.

Lastnight, myself and my mate went out in the 205....

Bloody fantastic!!

Real good fun, really like it.

My mate wants to marry the car as well :)

Now to get it in my garage, wheels off, major clean up, and also want to repaint the rocker cover, maybe a alloy catch tank rather than the plastic one, most likely colour code the strut brace and a few other bits.

Also need to get the speedo working, as at the minute I am having to use a sat nav!

Want to try and find a smaller, but good replacement aerial as well, plus get the bonnet sorted.

dobboy

Lastnight, myself and my mate went out in the 205....

Bloody fantastic!!

Real good fun, really like it.

You can't beat the feeling of driving a converted one when it's all heated up.

I find mines to be a different car after it's ran for 25mins or so..... mines usually gives me a little puff of a nice scent when up to temp, then i know it's ready to rock n roll.

savage16v

You can't beat the feeling of driving a converted one when it's all heated up.

I find mines to be a different car after it's ran for 25mins or so..... mines usually gives me a little puff of a nice scent when up to temp, then i know it's ready to rock n roll.

I would have to totally agree, it is a very different car once its warm...

When its cold it isn't the best car to drive to be honest, but once warmed up nicely it comes alive :)

I notice the revs tend to sit high once warm, and if I am giving some throttle and then back off and come to a stop, the revs don't come back down, I keep having to blip the throttle to get it drop back down, seems to take for ever.

That is my only gripe with it now....

I adjusted the tickover which seemed to help, but then it does it again after a while.

I need to check for any air leaks (looked already and cant see anything)

Will also check the spring on the tickover screw isn't weak and allowing the screw to turn but cant see that myself.

Will also loosen off the butterfly spindle, grease the bearings and see if that helps at all.

woodsy

I like the way he said its very well done conversion mate glad you like it lol. Can i have her back now please lol. I fitted that master cylinder off a 306 gti as was bigger bore to go with the GTI-6 brakes. Your right its very different car once warmed up properly.

savage16v

I like the way he said its very well done conversion mate glad you like it lol. Can i have her back now please lol. I fitted that master cylinder off a 306 gti as was bigger bore to go with the GTI-6 brakes. Your right its very different car once warmed up properly.

I have told you, once its all sorted it will be up for sale next year :)

I am enjoying it for a bit first though :)

savage16v

A couple of random pictures of it on the Dyno :)

10857166_873255859381492_36358401342172810368361_873255596048185_501904943162065

Juttie205

nice looking and nice spec 205 you have yourself there.

savage16v

Thanks very much mate, will look much better once I get your old bonnet painted and fitted :)

So over the last couple of night I have removed trims etc, shampoo'd the car, then used Iron-X for the first time (very impressive)(and smelly) stuff, shampoo'd the car again, and then used clay bar on it lastnight.
Its looking a lot better already.

Tonight I will finish with the clay bar, and then start on the interior.

I need a few bits for the car now, which I have posted in the wanted section.

Once the exterior and interior are done, I will be getting it up on axle stands, wheels brakes and suspension off to clean everything, and then do the underside, then start on the engine bay.

Edited by savage16v

savage16v

Hi all,

Happy new year :)

Not much to update, I have some sunroof trims coming this week from Juttie, and I got a grey headrest off Anthony.

Used it a little bit here and there over the holidays, loving it!

I do have an issue with the gear linkage coming loose though, not sure if this is common?

If I tighten it too much, I cant move the gearstick, and not enough thread coming through the bottom to get a nyloc on it.

I wonder if maybe it has the incorrect bolt fitted, can anyone advise or post a picture please :)

welshpug

which bolt?

if its on the L shaped quadrant check it has the thick washer underneath it.

savage16v

which bolt?

if its on the L shaped quadrant check it has the thick washer underneath it.

That might well explain it mate, thanks for that....

It actually came off and I had to re-fit it at the side of the road, so I would suspect that the washer has long since gone...

I will whip it off tonight and get a large washer re-fitted, hopefully that will solve the problem, cheers for that mate :)

savage16v

Got the Pug out yesterday, show it a bit of sun.

Sorted the gear linkage which kept coming loose.
New sunroof surround strips.
Couple of other little new bits.

I have spent some time getting the bodywork back to life, so wanted to see it in the sun and let it run for a bit before stripping other bits off over the wintery months.

photo%203_zpsrmm5xevc.jpg

photo%204_zpszshwe143.jpg

photo%201_zps43a9ix6z.jpg

photo%202_zpshozfgvkg.jpg

Then I got it back in the garage, and up on stands.
Wheels off, sealed them with some Supernatural Hybrid sealant.

Started cleaning up in the arches....

photo%207_zps2lkkaqm9.jpg

photo%208_zpszasg5kwm.jpg

photo%209_zpstpso3tqs.jpg

photo%205_zpsnsj1fhcq.jpg

Noticed passenger front corner does not have braided brake line, yet all the other corners do!!
Once all the arches are cleaned up, I will be moving to the underside which is actually surprisingly good.

Then onto the engine bay, sort a couple of oil leaks, repaint r/cover, replace the fuel line wraps, and generally tidy it up abit.

Then will do the interior.
Then get my new bonnet painted :)

savage16v

Not sure what colour to do the R/Cover.....

Miami Blue, Red, or Black?