• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
savage16v

Newbie With Miami Blue Mi16 205 Gti

jord294

There is no rubber for throttle pedal.

You have 2 full leather passenger seats in your car (notice how back adjuster is same on both seats)

New door pins won't sort dropping door. You'll either need to drill out larger hole and fit bigger roll pin, or fit new hinges

savage16v

Yes you are correct, both seats are passenger seats. I will be keeping my eyes open for better seats, although I doubt they come about very often at all?

Tbh having 2 seats the same doesn't really bother me too much for now.

Can anyone please advise with regard to Cambelt differences on the Mi16 engines?

savage16v

So these are a few pictures from lastnight.

You can see the dropped doors, and cracks, the loose dash cowling and then some pics of the brake pipe set up.

The vacuum unit was literally hanging off the distributor, so re-attached that.

This morning I noticed it was coughing and spluttering a fair bit when I had to move it.... I let it warm up and it settled down, but seemed to have a bit of a flat spot and felt a bit boggy low down.

It was fine previously.

I am wondering if the Vac unit was not attached properly when the carbs were set up and now I have re attached it properly it nots running correct.

I have a friend who tunes carbs on Jag race engines so might spend an evening with him on the carbs etc.

Also noticed the oil pressure drops when at idle, and shoots right up when driving/revving.

I am guessing this is normal as the oil pump runs quicker at revs?

Sorry for the daft questions.....

EDIT: Just found some time to search and it seems the oil pressure is normal :)

Just need to work out why its suddenly started running a little rough.

Edited by savage16v

dobboy

Looks like someone may have done a space saving exercise on the brakelines, maybe one of the others can comment on the performace/safety of them being plumbed like that.

I changed my door pins on the NS, it was a right PITA, but if you were contimplating doing them i would get a little helper and try adjusting the doors first, as i tried adjusted my OS and didn't need to change the pins and both now shut nice, with the nice clunk sound.

(I wouldn't worry about the cracks above back window just yet, there's a flexible sealer in there, but the paint doesn't flex as much as the sealer.)

Your dash cowling thing maybe just need removed and refitted correctly.

savage16v

Looks like someone may have done a space saving exercise on the brakelines, maybe one of the others can comment on the performace/safety of them being plumbed like that.

I changed my door pins on the NS, it was a right PITA, but if you were contimplating doing them i would get a little helper and try adjusting the doors first, as i tried adjusted my OS and didn't need to change the pins and both now shut nice, with the nice clunk sound.

(I wouldn't worry about the cracks above back window just yet, there's a flexible sealer in there, but the paint doesn't flex as much as the sealer.)

Your dash cowling thing maybe just need removed and refitted correctly.

Thanks for the feedback...

The brakes are extremely sharp with the way they are set up, I quite like it, but need to take it on a little run rather than just round the block to see how they feel.

It has recently gone through an MOT with no advisories on the brakes.

Just spoke to the guy I know who uses carbs on his race cars, and he is saying that if the car has been set up with the Vac unit hanging off, and now I have reconnected it, that may be why its suddenly running a little rough.

One night next week we are going to check up the set up of the carbs, then do the cambelt etc.

I am hoping to go over to Essex in it next weekend so need it running properly.

After that I may pay for a dyno set up.

Tom Fenton

Commonly done when a larger bore master cylinder has been fitted from such as a 306 that only has two fluid ports. Not the most pretty pipework setup with the tee pieces but works fine.

As for space saving, NO, as per the forum guidelines please stick to posting about things you know to be fact from your own experiences.

dobboy

Commonly done when a larger bore master cylinder has been fitted from such as a 306 that only has two fluid ports. Not the most pretty pipework setup with the tee pieces but works fine.

As for space saving, NO, as per the forum guidelines please stick to posting about things you know to be fact from your own experiences.

I must have missed the bit where Savage posted he only has two ports, but i do see from his pics that the OS of his MC is busy and why someone (keyword) "may" have decided to pipe out one side only as a way of de-cluttering.

Tom Fenton

When in hole put down shovel.

• Like 1

savage16v

Well just went out on my lunch break, started it up, still running rough, loosened the vac unit on the Dizzy again and ran fine.
So we think its been set up with a loose Vac unit.

One night early next week, going to set it up and hopefully it will be sorted :)

Fingers crossed!

savage16v

10441126_10152925710749623_305380855496110422191_10152925711344623_403283674816210660256_10152838922124623_896982020001710583786_10152836559929623_204647986459110646876_10152836560074623_894651305041610406664_10152836560534623_84298322886831926686_10152834353514623_12049477109587

Few pics of the GTE for those who asked... Currently at the bodycentre...

• Like 1

savage16v

Well after some research, it seems that the Vac units tend to be blocked off on the Mi16 engine.

Mine is blocked off, so I cant understand why it is making a difference if it is tightened up in place correctly or not?

savage16v

Just read that people actually loosen these on purpose, so it seems that I don't have a problem after all?

Chuffed :)

dcc

hehe - just seen the exhaust!

savage16v

hehe - just seen the exhaust!

I know lol!!

Subtle :)

Will change it at some point.....

Tom Fenton

Love the GTE. A good mate of mine had a couple of them years ago and we went all over the place in them, lots of fond memories. Corking engines but the handling left a bit to be desired! Is it an 8 or 16v?

savage16v

Love the GTE. A good mate of mine had a couple of them years ago and we went all over the place in them, lots of fond memories. Corking engines but the handling left a bit to be desired! Is it an 8 or 16v?

Thanks Tom, this one is a 8v.

I have had many Vauxhalls in the past, a few MK2 GTE's, Opel Manta GTE, Astra GSi's etc etc.

Great fun cars, but as you mention, the handling leaves a bit to be desired in standard form.

This one has everything original except the exhaust and head unit (originals are with the car).

One owner from new, full comprehensive history file, original invoice, dealer plates, stickers & even the duster with the Dealers name on it!

I buy and sell cars as a sideline business, will post some pics of some of the cars when I get 5 mins

savage16v

Can someone please tell me if these are the correct clips for the rear doorcards?

I literally have none so cant compare them....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-106-205-306-405-605-INTERIOR-DOOR-CARD-CLIPS-/220350356151?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item334de79ab7

Thanks in advance.

Edited by savage16v

savage16v

Well I have done a couple of local trips in the car, I didn't want to venture too far in case of any problems.

Broke down on Saturday, some pops and bangs as I pulled out of a junction and it died.

Opened the bonnet and the vac unit from the distributor was sat on top of the gearbox!

I had completely forgotten about this, if you remember I mentioned it was loose, I tightened it up and it ran lumpy with some misfiring.

I had loosened it off until me and my mate get chance this week to check the carbs and ignition timing.

I was told by the previous owner that it had recently had the carbs etc set up, but I am assuming they missed the fact the vac unit was loose, as such when I tightened it back up, the ignition timing was altered.
I loosened it back off so It was running 'ok' to move it about etc.

Completely forgot and went for a little drive in it, my fault completely.

So this week, I need to try and find time to reattach the vac unit, set the ignition timing as best as possible, and then check the carbs over.
Also need to do cambelt & water pump, plus oil & filter.

Need to get this all done as I want to drive it over to Essex to my mates at the weekend :-/

Edited by savage16v

dcc

it all depends on if that unit is even working as intended, I have checked 3 this past week and only 1 worked.

savage16v

I could be completely wrong (never really done much with distributors before, and nothing with Peugeots at all) but I don't think they need to be working on the Mi16 engine anyway do they, as most people block the vac off (mine has been). Maybe I am completely wrong and I will just have to cross my fingers it works.....

How would I test this please mate?

Just spoke to my mate, he is going to try and look today whilst I am at work for me (good old boy).

From some research we are going to set it at 12-14neg at idle.

Hopefully this will get it running ok, and then we can check the carbs for now.

After the weekend I will look at getting it on a dyno and set up properly.

Edited by savage16v

savage16v

Ok, so tonight I have stripped the dizzy and locked the vac magnet/plate using race wire as I have seen others do....

All went well & it's locked nicely.

Stuck the dizzy back on where it was previously, and gave it a go, it tried but was popping and misfiring a bit, kept adjusting just to see if we could get it started and it did start a couple of time but not running as it should do.

We have ran out of adjustment so my friend has suggested switching the cylinders on the dizzy and adjusting again....

This is where he lost me, as sadly my experience of distributors is next to zero.

But I think I understand what he means....

Does the Mi16 engine have any TDC marks either near flywheel or crank pulley or is it a case if finding TDC manually on cyl1 (nearest flywheel)?

We are going to have a go at it tomorrow.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, I have searched and gathered some info but the more I have, the better....

Thanks,

Rich

savage16v

So, the car is back up and running :)

My friend looked at the timing whilst I was at work.
One thing that did concern me, is he said there was no way he could get the timing set up with the Vac plate/magnet locked off.
he has adjusted the vac plate/magnet around a little and that meant he was able to set the timing.

Took it out this morning, and seems ok.

I have noticed (I noticed it before but had bigger priorities) that the revs seem to take some time a long time to come back down (if for example I pull up at a junction)....Sometimes they don't come back down, and sit high.
Going to look for an air leak later this evening.

Would like it running well for the weekend.
Also booked it in for a dyno set up on Monday so I know everything is as it should be :)

savage16v

So this was me on Saturday lol.....

10411073_10152960055959623_6937054581668

And this is it today, back up and running :)

10171844_10152967643319623_8117714560842

savage16v

I am hoping that tonight I will have time to:

Do some fine tuning

Clean and treat the leather
Clean the exterior, and polish
Clean and polish the wheels (maybe take the wheels off & clean the brakes & inner wheel arches)
Clean the engine bay

Tomorrow will be new plugs, cambelt, water pump, oil & filter.

Then as I say, Monday is Dyno set up to ensure fueling & timing is ok.

Once that is done, I will most likely not touch it until after the new year, then I will be spending some time getting it back to mint condition all over.

A few pics of some of my cars/old cars so you guys can see that I like my cars clean :)