• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
savage16v

Newbie With Miami Blue Mi16 205 Gti

savage16v

Hi everyone, new to the forum, as I have just got a 205....

Saw this on Facebook, and messaged the guy to ask if it was for sale.
Luckily he came back and said he was thinking of selling it, and sent me loads of info on the car....

1.9 GTi, Mi16 engine conversion with 1.6 gearbox, engine rebuilt a few years ago, lightened & balanced flywheel, new big ends, full head rebuild & skim, Catcams inlet cam, twin 45 Webers, Omex adjustable rev limiter, Helix clutch, Grp N engine mounts, GTi6 front brakes with Grooved discs & DS2500 front pads, braided brake lines, Koni adjustables with SB springs, Polybushed all over, 309 rear beam & front wishbones (more camber & wider track) etc etc etc....

Saw some pics & asked my friends Kev and Nige if they would go check it out for me as they were local to the car.

They very kindly went to inspect the car and came back to me with pics & reports :)

Agreed a price with the guy, paid for the car and had it collected.

It was delivered to us on Friday but I was away all weekend so didn't see it until Monday morning....

What can I say, I have fallen in love with it :doh::lol:

It was bought as a car by us through our business, to tidy up and sell on.

I took it round the block and thought....I gotta keep this one :doh::doh::lol:

So I have bought it back out of the business to keep for a while, alongside my 42k mile Astra GTE, but that will be up for sale in the new year.

A few pics..... Will get better ones soon.

10502325_10152950337184623_7047653365690

10685454_10152950337349623_8862017387518

10351838_10152950337459623_5434284838606

Drives brilliant, if you like a raw driving experience lol...

No ABS, no PAS, very stiff, very direct, very noisey and very fun :nod::beer:

It does need a few bits doing, mainly a few bits of interior trim as it had a stripped interior & buckets a while back.

Seatbelts are not fitted, and not sure if they are any good as they wont release :sad::Cry:

Couple of heater knobs need replacing, needs floor mats (ordered fitted Mi16 embroided set), the bonnet needs sorting as its a bit battered tbh but that's not a big deal, tidy a few bits up underneath & under the bonnet and enjoy it :nod::beer:

Pugleyrich

Looks great. What is the interior like? Is it a limited edition car or has it had a respray?

Anthony

Seatbelts are not fitted, and not sure if they are any good as they wont release :sad::Cry:

The seatbelts will only release if they're mounted at the correct angle - and even then, if they've been allowed to fully withdraw they can be a bit of a pain.

GilesW

Don't get rid of the Gte.

5 years and it'll be worth big money.

kyepan

what mk is the gte?

205 sounds well sorted!

savage16v

Cheers for the comments guys...

Interior isn't too bad, but it was stripped out with bucket seats until the previous owner bought it earlier this year.

He has fitted standard interior back in to the car, but I need to finish it off....the interior was originally black leather and black carpets and that is what has gone back into the car.

The car is an original Miami Blue, it has had some paintwork in the past, but not a lot.
It has a couple of tiny tiny bubbles, and also small crack coming from just behind the doors along the top of the rear 1/4 windows.

The seatbelts..... They are mounted in the front at the bottom only, they wont release so they wont reach the top mount, I am hoping to find some time to look at these tonight as I need the seatbelts working before I can use it.

As for the GTE, I bought it to sell on, had been stored for 14 years, so just bringing it back to life and then its going :)

Just been going through all the paperwork, lots of receipts from Skip Brown, and a recent dyno run where it made 148bhp @ the wheels

The GTE is a red MK2, its in great condition...Will post some pics :)

kyepan

148 sounds a little on the low side!

dobboy

" and also small crack coming from just behind the doors along the top of the rear 1/4 windows"

Most have, even my newly painted one is developing it again.

savage16v

That's at the wheels though?

No flywheel figure on the sheet, just 148bhp at the wheels.... Works out roughly to about 175bhp - 180bhp which I thought sounded about right, when the only power mods are carbs, an inlet cam and an exhaust??

" and also small crack coming from just behind the doors along the top of the rear 1/4 windows"

Most have, even my newly painted one is developing it again.

I thought that might be the case mate, its really not bad but once you start looking close you can notice them.

savage16v

I just got the graph out, and my mistake.....

Its actually 142bhp... Hmmmmm Based on a 15% transmission loss that only just over 163bhp.....

Just a graph and the bhp and lb/ft, with the car details and the phone number for the garage.

Just rang them to make sure it is wheel horsepower, and they have confirmed all of theres are wheel horsepower.

The interesting thing is that it made 337lb/ft!!!

Surely that cant be right?

Unless the inlet cam is made for torque and not bhp?

Edited by savage16v

jord294

i agree

iirc, reciepts show blue printed lightened and balanced engine. sadly not in this case. that sort of power is approx std power.

having had a nosey around the car just a few weeks ago, there are a few issues imho

hopefully richard you will rectify the issues. just hope you didn't pay an excessive price??

savage16v

i agree

iirc, reciepts show blue printed lightened and balanced engine. sadly not in this case. that sort of power is approx std power.

having had a nosey around the car just a few weeks ago, there are a few issues imho

hopefully richard you will rectify the issues. just hope you didn't pay an excessive price??

Receipts show internals are balanced, but not lightened... Also lightening and balancing does not give power, it makes it more responsive but no gains in bhp or torque?

What issues do you think the car has?

I know it has some, I am asking as I am hoping I have not missed anything.

Edited by savage16v

dobboy

what's withe the T-Pieces on the brake lines along the scuttle area?

Has it got discs or drums on the back?

Looks a nice car btw.

savage16v

what's withe the T-Pieces on the brake lines along the scuttle area?

Has it got discs or drums on the back?

Looks a nice car btw.

No idea, it has discs on the rear and GTi6 front brakes.

And thanks.

jord294

without giving the car a thorough looking at, i was suspect about 309 axle being fitted as wheels tend to be pretty much flush with plastic trim. like so

Picture002.jpg

plus when i looked under the front, it had 205 wishbones fitted

• Like 1

dcc

Don't get hung up on power. I have a 114.3 bhp 1.9 8v, it's all about how it feels. Some of the people on this forum are a bit scared when people post a power figure, either its too high or too low - the 148 atw is certainly good power for a 1.9 16v on carbs.

I later took my car, completely unchanged (2 weeks later in fact) to another, albeit different manufacturer of rolling road - where it made 176bhp.

In short it is the fastest 114.3bhp car I know of, frequently find it overtaking cars which are claiming to be 220+bhp (astra/corsa vxr's and '180 bhp' 106 gti's)

I f***ing love my 114.3bhp 1.9 8v.

Ignore what some people are saying Richard, and enjoy it!

• Like 1

savage16v

That's interesting....

I can see it had 309 front wishbones and polybushes bought for it, but maybe they were not fitted.

I am not too fussed if it has 205 wishbones and rear beam if I am honest, although they would be a nice bonus.
My rear wheels don't seem to be as far out as them above (they look great like that)!

I know of more issues than just them :)

savage16v

Don't get hung up on power. I have a 114.3 bhp 1.9 8v, it's all about how it feels. Some of the people on this forum are a bit scared when people post a power figure, either its too high or too low - the 148 atw is certainly good power for a 1.9 16v on carbs.

I later took my car, completely unchanged (2 weeks later in fact) to another, albeit different manufacturer of rolling road - where it made 176bhp.

In short it is the fastest 114.3bhp car I know of, frequently find it overtaking cars which are claiming to be 220+bhp (astra/corsa vxr's and '180 bhp' 106 gti's)

I f***ing love my 114.3bhp 1.9 8v.

Ignore what some people are saying Richard, and enjoy it!

Cheers mate....

With the lb/ft being so high, its either the dyno figures are utter rubbish, or its got pretty average bhp and huge torque.....

It certainly drives really well, and I have had a lot of quick cars.

I absolutely love the way it drives, and sounds.

I might get it back on a dyno and make sure its not running too rich/lean sometime pretty soon.

kyepan

It wasn't a criticism, just an observation on the spec vs figures, as above it could be down to the rolling road, or any number of other factors.

Mi on carbs with cams and a decent exhaust manifold should be towards the top end of quick, and verging on fast.

Best of luck and enjoy the car.

savage16v

It wasn't a criticism, just an observation on the spec vs figures, as above it could be down to the rolling road, or any number of other factors.

Mi on carbs with cams and a decent exhaust manifold should be towards the top end of quick, and verging on fast.

Best of luck and enjoy the car.

Cheers mate, yeah I agree, I did think it would be more.

I cant see that they would run over 300lb/ft with a cam, exhaust and 45's?

In which case the dyno figures have got to be rubbish.

An old dyno by Skip brown shows 176bhp, which is about what I would expect.

As I say, think I need to get it on a dyno soon to be sure its all ok and running healthy.

Full service first though :)

Anthony

I cant see that they would run over 300lb/ft with a cam, exhaust and 45's?

In which case the dyno figures have got to be rubbish.

Might be the raw figures off the dyno or something like that, but no way they will be flywheel torque figures.

Something more around the 145-150 lbft ballpark would be more what I'd expect from that engine spec.

savage16v

Might be the raw figures off the dyno or something like that, but no way they will be flywheel torque figures.

Something more around the 145-150 lbft ballpark would be more what I'd expect from that engine spec.

Wheel figures apparently, but as I say, the fact that the dyno shows so much torque tells me the dyno is putting out rubbish readings.

Get a few bits done when I get time and then get it on a decent dyno :)

welshpug

dont mind dan, he has a spurious rr printout, proving they are often not worth the paper they're printed on.

its running a LOT more than that ;)

its not unknown for the 16v to make no gains on catbs though

savage16v

So tonight I have spent some time on the 205....

Sorted the seatbelts, they were on the wrong sides so wouldn't release as they were not sat correctly.

Gave it a clean up inside, hoovered & nice new mats fitted.

Need to clean & treat the leather next.

I have noticed that I need the dash cowling-the bit that goes over the speedo/tacho is loose on one side & rattling like mad, need to look at this.

Also all the clips on the rear door cards are missing, can anyone tell me if these are available please?

I also removed the awful blue alloy throttle pedal, should they have a rubber originally, if so are these available?

I did notice the inner rear wings have zero corrosion which is brilliant.

Also the doors have dropped and I would like to sort this?

I cleaned the engine bay up a bit, all looks ok, booked in with my mate for a service including Cambelt. I need to try and ensure I get the correct Cambelt kit as I assume there are different fitments?

As for the brake lines, looks like a single brake line comes out & 't's to left/right rear & then another single line comes out & 't's to left/right front.

The rear beam & front wishbones are indeed 205 items.

I noticed also that the part on the side of the distributor (forgive me I don't know the correct name) was literally hanging off & I assume this would effect things?

Will post the pics tomorrow :)

mrfirepro

Nice looking car,

The two cars I owned as a "yuff" were a red 1.9 205 gti and a green GTE with the digital dash, done the restoration on the 205, would love to see pics of the GTE and do the same.