• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huwjones

Problems With New Gearbox

huwjones

I doubt it will be covered under warranty due to the possibility of damage during MOT. I'll phone them up to see if I can get any sense. Tom, if it was damaged like yours, I'm sure I would have seen it after previously removing the diff. I'm happy to take it apart but it's putting the diff back together I'm worried about, especially if I don't find any obvious problems.

huwjones

Standard diff is now in and it's nice and quiet!

I found the box for the Tranx and I was wondering if the specs might shine some light on the problem... It's marked as full preload and 45/45 ramp. I'm not very well up on this stuff so I was wondering if someone could shine some light. Is this a more aggressive spec compared to others?

Again, not found anything obviously wrong visually with the diff. Might try taking it apart this weekend.

allanallen

The diff in my rally car is set the same, it clunks like a bastard even doing 20mph sharpish turns. I think you're worrying about nothing personally.

I suggest you pull it to bits and change it to 'lightweight', it'll be loads quieter but still do the business in my experience.

huwjones

Is that a DIY job?

I didn't think my shiny new very expensive driveshafts would last long as it was! I stated at the time it's used for trackdays and hopfully in the future, night rallies. Maybe I should have emphasised the amount of road use it gets too!

Tom Fenton

Yes, it is as simple as stacking the plates in the diff in a different order. Can't remember the details but you would need power steering with the fully inter levered setting.

allanallen

It won't be harming your shafts, it's the plates slipping that make the noise!

dcc

still it would exaggerate play in any joints!

• Like 1