• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

timoth123

Best Way To Restore Spoiler?

timoth123

After some advice here on what other people have done.

My spoiler isn't in too bad of condition, but it's faded abit and has lost its texture and gone smooth on the corner bits.

Been trying to think how I could get that texture back and uniform, had the thought of using some sort of medium blasting? Then plasticare of some sorts.

Thoughts?

GLPoomobile

Dobboy has just had all his trim resprayed with a textured finish, so you could ask him for some more info.

mrfirepro

am interested in this too as I'm about to do mine, if this is an outside process maybe group buy??

ATK

Interested too

mrfirepro

I sanded mine, finished with 1000 grit W&D, still looks awful, just flat now.

That kit looks good anyone tried it?

Tom Fenton

Best left in the 1970's for me!

ATK

Has anyone ever managed to nab a brand new old stock spoiler?!

mrfirepro

I think they were the best part of £150 new when available, I'm guessing if someone had a new one they would ask £250 ish

Got some prices for the U-Pol stuff and it's over £300 for the kit, but I guess it would be enough for 3-4 spoilers at least

Subject to someone coming up with any alternatives, I'd be up for giving that U-Pol stuff a go providing there's enough of us interested to share the costs.

Any takers?

iPlod999

I'll ask the question on Detailingworld.

ATK

So that would be say around £100 per spoiler? Hmmm, pricy but I suppose if the finish is OEM............?

mrfirepro

it's all a bit of a risk as no one has used this stuff yet, but I can't finish my project without it as I'm not putting it on the way it is.

I'm prepared to take a bit of a gamble

Edited by mrfirepro

GLPoomobile

As I said above, Dobboy had his trim done recently by the bodyshop that's resprayed his 205. He's going to comment on here once he's clarified some details with the shop. But he did tell me via PM that his spoiler wasn't totally flat to begin with. Possibly a moot point though since the same process (paint with texture added) was used on the rest of his trim, which IIRC was smoothed first.

If you want a really mint looking OE spolier you only really have two choices and that's source a new/nearly new one (mucho deniro), or get one refurbished using some sort of texturising paint. The UPOL stuff might be a cheap alternative, but if nobody can vouch for it then it might be a total waste of money. There's nothing to lose by just contacting some local bodyshops and asking them if they can apply a textured paint to plastic and achieve a similar finish to OE. Yes it might be more expensive, but that's the price of OE restorations once good parts become scarce.

farmer

I got brand new one from Spain I will take a photo later

lightflow
Depending on the condition - no dents or cracks and not requiring any high-build filler, I reckon you'd get away with a reduced kit. (I assume cleaning with a normal water based degreaser rather than the PLASTX one)

PLAS/2 - Adhesion promoter

PLAS/3 - Primer filler for plastic components

PLAS/4F - Fine texture coating

PLAS/5 - Plastic bumper and trim top coat paints UPOL recommend Signal Black for 205 (but that may be Phase 2, rather than the 1.5 lighter grey)

On ebay these go for £18.99 each and assuming £5.00 delivery. Total would be £80.96 for an individual, but those cans would likely do more than one spoiler....

ATK

I'd be willing to chuck someone 41 quid towards half of that cost as a trial, and I would send a spoiler to whoever wants to have a go for mine to be done at the same time if the cans will do more than one....?

mrfirepro

Depending on the condition - no dents or cracks and not requiring any high-build filler, I reckon you'd get away with a reduced kit. (I assume cleaning with a normal water based degreaser rather than the PLASTX one)
PLAS/2 - Adhesion promoter
PLAS/3 - Primer filler for plastic components
PLAS/4F - Fine texture coating
PLAS/5 - Plastic bumper and trim top coat paints UPOL recommend Signal Black for 205 (but that may be Phase 2, rather than the 1.5 lighter grey)
On ebay these go for £18.99 each and assuming £5.00 delivery. Total would be £80.96 for an individual, but those cans would likely do more than one spoiler....

I will give it a go, but it will be for the P1.5. Not had much luck with my body shop spraying plastic.

Alex, dont send anything yet let me see what sort of job it does first and I'll let you know from there.

I was thinking that the PLAS/5 should be medium grey for P1.5, ????

Edited by mrfirepro

ATK

Awesome thread. mrfirepro let me know, as I said I'm happy to cover half the cost as a trial, if it works it will be great for all forum members etc.

timoth123

ATK, aren't you ph2?

ATK

Yeah I am ph2, but the only difference is one 18.95 can - according to the above all the other stuff is common to both - So I would be willing to cover half the cost and would get a seperate ph2 can for mine/others who habe ph2 spoilers.

timoth123

Yeh I thought so. Was just wandering about different colours and the difference between them.

mrfirepro

Ordered PLASTX 1-5 with Fine and dark grey. Total £85.51

If it's OK all that will be needed is the black topcoat for the P2 spoilers.

Will update when I've done mine.

timoth123

Paul keep us updated, if by chance you think there will be enough spray to do one more spoiler let me know and I'll pay in aswell. Only if that's ok of course!!!

Long shot I know