• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
john-melbourne

Not Starting Cti After Sitting 12 Months

john-melbourne

Thanks Andy,,

So even though I can't smell petrol in the plugs or the hole, you don't think it's a fueling problem? What's the easiest way to test compression?

John

Slo

I wouldnt rule out a fuel problem at all but its not igniting the gas and believe me wd40 burn extremely easy. Try disconnecting the fuel pipe from the pressure regulator and see if fuel leaks out under pressure.

Check the connector on the air flow meter too. Unplug it and peel back the rubber shroud to check the wires are connected inside it.

Anthony

Have you checked to see if you've got a spark yet?

If not, that would be a sensible next course of action. Remove a sparkplug and plug the HT head back in with the thread of the plug resting on something metal on the engine. Get someone else to crank the car over and see if you get a spark (and ideally whether it's a nice strong blue/white spark)

If you don't have a spark or any fuel being injected, double check the timing signal lead coming off the dizzy and check and reseat the 3-pin wiring plug where it joins the main engine loom a few inches from the dizzy. Any issues relating to that will stop you getting spark or any fuel injected.

john-melbourne

I wouldnt rule out a fuel problem at all but its not igniting the gas and believe me wd40 burn extremely easy. Try disconnecting the fuel pipe from the pressure regulator and see if fuel leaks out under pressure.

Check the connector on the air flow meter too. Unplug it and peel back the rubber shroud to check the wires are connected inside it.

Will do Andy, once i have disconnected the fuel pipe do i need to crank the engine or not?

Have you checked to see if you've got a spark yet?

If not, that would be a sensible next course of action. Remove a sparkplug and plug the HT head back in with the thread of the plug resting on something metal on the engine. Get someone else to crank the car over and see if you get a spark (and ideally whether it's a nice strong blue/white spark)

If you don't have a spark or any fuel being injected, double check the timing signal lead coming off the dizzy and check and reseat the 3-pin wiring plug where it joins the main engine loom a few inches from the dizzy. Any issues relating to that will stop you getting spark or any fuel injected.

Hi Anthony,

I have a nice blue spark on all 4 plugs.

Thanks

John

Slo

Give it a few cranks just before you disconnect it, this pipe can be quite stiff and hard to pull off. If fuel is present it will squirt out under pressure.

john-melbourne

Hi Andy,

Is this the right pipe?

Fuel.jpg​

If it is then nothing came out, i cranked the engine for about 5 seconds before removing the pipe, then even tried to crank it with the pipe of, again nothing happened?

Thanks

John

Slo

No that's not it its on the opposite end on the top its union unscrews mate.

john-melbourne

Do I just follow the pipe coming out of the top of the fuel filter?

Thanks

John

Slo

Unscrew the pipe connected to this

post-21076-0-07175200-1405130687.jpg

Edited by Slo

john-melbourne

Thanks Slo.

Can i ask one more stupid question? Do you know what size spanner i need, i have just snapped my adjustable on it so need to buy one but dont want to buy the wrong size!

If you are ever in Manchester let me know i will buy you a few beers!!

scbond

Thanks Slo.

Can i ask one more stupid question? Do you know what size spanner i need, i have just snapped my adjustable on it so need to buy one but dont want to buy the wrong size!

If you are ever in Manchester let me know i will buy you a few beers!!

You don't need a spanner. It should just be a jubilee clip holding the braided fuel line on.

Edited by scbond

Slo

Man its not your week is it, were you trying to unscrew the lower part of the union? Its part of the fuel rail, im a little worried by the amount of force you must have tried to undo that to break an adjustable spanner. Are you in the aa?

john-melbourne

Hi Andy,

Its more of a reflection of how s*it the adjustable spanner was i think, i have managed to unscrew it now with the right spanner it was easy. Hopefully this is the right one:

FuelRail.jpg​

Anyway fuel came out, only a trickle though it was in no way pressurised though.

I am a member of the AA, but does it matter that the car hasnt got tax or mot, would they still come out?

I suppose the last thing to check now is the compression?

Thanks again Andy

John

Slo

Disconnect the coil and crank it up with that pipe disconnected and check if the fuel gushes out, if your lucky it should try to prime without cranking.

Have a bucket of water handy just in case or a hosepipe :excl:

If you've got home start assistance it might be worth giving them a ring, at the very least they will tell you whats wrong with it lol

jackherer

Try cranking it with someone holding that hose into a jar to see if it pumps fuel.

In my experience the AA will come out and look at a car with no tax or MOT but will refuse to tow it anywhere.

john-melbourne

Try cranking it with someone holding that hose into a jar to see if it pumps fuel.

In my experience the AA will come out and look at a car with no tax or MOT but will refuse to tow it anywhere.

Fuel definitely pumps out when its cranking, should i disconnect the coil and try again?

Slo

No need if you've already confirmed that fuel gushes out. Looks like a compression test is needed.

Its like a tyre guage that you hold into the spark plug holes while someone cranks it up a few turns. You take a reading of all four cylinders to do a comparison.

Any low reading or significant difference accross all four will mean its a head off job.

john-melbourne

I have called the AA so i will let you know what they say later

Thanks for all the help

John

john-melbourne

The guy is here now, apparently the injectors are not switching over? The car starts to splutter when he sprays carb cleaner where i was spraying wd40. He is on the line to his techinal department now! anyone have any ideas lol

Slo

Got me on that one no idea. But if its not firing properly and spluttering with carb cleaner its got to be an ignition fault. Im guessing something to do with the dizzy or afm.

Could be a dicky ignition amp.

Has he done a compression test?

Edited by Slo

john-melbourne

no compression test as yet, we have power to the injectors but they are not switching. No switching on a node light apparently!

john-melbourne

Well the diagnosis is in.................

After 2 hours of testing and numerous calls to the A technical team, it has been diagnosed with a faulty ECU, apparently fuses ok, relays ok, 12v @ sensors, fuel pump working, good spark, injection relay + power OK to injectors but injectors lost switching. Only ECU powers injectors so ECU at fault.

Thats what the report says anyway :)

Does that sound feasible?

Slo

Well that has saved a you lot of messing around trying things to test and an ecu wont be hard to source but I wonder what killed it, particularly as it was left running.

What year and engine type have you got?

john-melbourne

its 1988 1.6 CTI, can the ecu's just die of old age?