• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
john-melbourne

Not Starting Cti After Sitting 12 Months

john-melbourne

Thanks Again Andy,

I will try this tomorrow and let you know how i get on!

John

john-melbourne

Hi Guys,

I did as Andy suggested by spraying wd40 into here:

Picture1-1.jpg​

I tried it a few times, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference at all.

Did i spray in the right place?

What should i try next?

Thanks for all the help so far.

John

Slo

Yes thats where I meant. Did you have someone crank the engine over while you sprayed it in (reccomended)? Or did you spray it in then run round and spin it over? (not reccomended)

Also did you unplug the injectors while you were trying this?

If there was no attempt for it to at least kick occasionally its possible that the plugs are flooded. You have taken a plug out to check for a spark haven't you John?

Edit: That top pipe has been over tightened you need to open it back up if you can and push out that kink. Thats nothing to do with this problem though just an observation.

Edited by Slo

scbond

Bit of heat and you should be able to get the kink out almost completely by hand.

john-melbourne

Yes thats where I meant. Did you have someone crank the engine over while you sprayed it in (reccomended)? Or did you spray it in then run round and spin it over? (not reccomended)

Also did you unplug the injectors while you were trying this?

If there was no attempt for it to at least kick occasionally its possible that the plugs are flooded. You have taken a plug out to check for a spark haven't you John?

Edit: That top pipe has been over tightened you need to open it back up if you can and push out that kink. Thats nothing to do with this problem though just an observation.

Hi Andy,

I had my wife cranking the engine, whilst i was spraying, i didnt unplug the injectors is this something i should of done? I haven't taken the plugs out either, is this a specif tester that's needed for this or can you just check it some other way?

Hopefully you are not getting pissed off with my stupid questions yet? :)

Thanks Again

John

Slo

Take out a plug, plug it into its lead then sit the plug on the engine or something metal thats earthed to check if its sparking.

Im guessing it isnt if it didnt kick at all with the wd40

john-melbourne

I have just took out all the plugs and they looked like this:

Sparkplug.jpg​

So i have just replaced them all and tested for spark, i have spark on all 4 but still no luck on starting!

John

Slo

If the plugs are sparking try the wd40 trick again but this time disconnect the injectors.

Might seem like a lot of messing about but it cuts the diagnosis is half. Fuel or spark

john-melbourne

Hi Andy,

I have just disconnected the 4 clips on top on the inlet manifold, hopefully this is what you meant, anyway tried that again with the wd40 and still no luck.

So does that mean Spark or Fuel?

Thanks Again Andy

John

Slo

Hmm very strange, the wd trick never fails if the ignition is working fine. Did you test the plugs in each of their leads? If igntion is fine and you have fuel then the timing must be out or you could be losing compression. Try a long blast with the wd while cranking.

john-melbourne

Hmm very strange, the wd trick never fails if the ignition is working fine. Did you test the plugs in each of their leads? If igntion is fine and you have fuel then the timing must be out or you could be losing compression. Try a long blast with the wd while cranking.

I tried each plug in its lead separately,so i started with the one on the left and worked my way right, the spark didn't seem to bright but it was there. I will try the long blast tomorrow. A couple of things to note, i misread your message at first and disconnected the injectors without spraying the wd40, for about half a second it sounded like it tried to start, usually its just the engine turning over and not really firing. The other thing i noticed was that the spark plugs seemed very dry i don't know if they should be like that?

Thanks Again

John

jackherer

The attempt to start after unplugging the injectors makes it sound like it is chronically over fuelling. Next time you try the WD4 with the injectors unplugged it will probably fire.

Check the connection to the ECU temp sensor, it's a 2 pin plug the same as the injectors but coloured blue and on the thermostat housing, make sure it's plugged in properly and the pins are held in the blue housing tightly. If that doesn't help check the resistance of the sensor with a multimeter.

Slo

The plugs look black and sooty which could mean it might not be firing because they are fouling up. A close up of the electrodes would've been a help but nevermind.

One of those plugs look white, as if its been cleaned or squirted with something (possibly petrol). I did have an idea that this could be happening hence unplugging the injectors idea.

As Jackherer says it will probably fire with them unplugged and squirting wd40 in.

A note on this though, if its going to fire up, it should do instantly and if its misfiring stop squirting the moment you hear it then go back to quick blips of spray to keep it idling because it will scare the crap out of you if it back fires lol, just be wary of it ok ;)

john-melbourne

I will try firing it again tomorrow before work, i may struggle as i will be on my own, i will also check the the temp sensor as described above, do i need to have the engine cranking while testing the resistance?

Thanks

John

Slo

No as you will have to unplug it to test it with a multimeter. If you can take it out and warm it up in a cup of boiled water while testing it with a multimeter it would be better to see if its working properly

john-melbourne

No as you will have to unplug it to test it with a multimeter. If you can take it out and warm it up in a cup of boiled water while testing it with a multimeter it would be better to see if its working properly

Ahh i see, i am testing the actual sensor not the wiring it connects to, what sort of results should i be looking for?

Slo

Have multimeter on resistance boil kettle and use a spare connector with some wire so you can connect them to the miltimeter and drop it in a cup. Pour boiling water into a cup and watch the multimeter it should alter the value as the sensor warms up. If it doesnt or no reading its dead

john-melbourne

Can i buy a spare connector from somewhere?

Slo

Scrapyard? Even two spade connectors will do

john-melbourne

Quick update:

I have checked the connection to the sensor and everything looked fine, i didn't manage to take it out to test the resistance as i couldn't find my socket!

Unfortunately i was on my own so couldn't spray wd40 while cranking, but i did try and spray some then run around and crank the car but as you can imagine nothing happened.

I just wanted to check something, when you are telling me to disconnect the injectors, i have pulled the 4 sensors off that are near the spark plugs is this right?

I didnt want to waste all your time if i was doing something wrong!

Thanks Again

John

Slo

Yes thats them and no worries in your own time

gowmonster

if you ran it out of fuel have you checked the fuel filter isn't clogged? after you took the spark plugs out, did you notice a smell of fuel out the spark plug holes?

to everyone else, is it possible that it cut out due to the timing getting out of whack? and it's not been right since?

john-melbourne

if you ran it out of fuel have you checked the fuel filter isn't clogged? after you took the spark plugs out, did you notice a smell of fuel out the spark plug holes?

to everyone else, is it possible that it cut out due to the timing getting out of whack? and it's not been right since?

I will check the fuel filter, is there an in-line one under the car, or is it the one under the bonnet? To be honest i didn't notice a smell, or it wasn't that noticeable if there was one.

Thanks

John

Edited by john-melbourne

john-melbourne

Well had another spare 20 mins this morning so had another go a spraying the wd40, this time i had the wife to help me crank the car. Unfortunately nothing happened again, i dont have the plastic straw so cant get it that far down into the elbow, so dont know if that would make a massive difference?

I then replaced all the injector clips and tried again nothing happened, so i removed one of the plugs and there was no smell of petrol either on the plug or around the hole. Is it worth just fitting a new fuel filter for £12 just to see if this help, or is there an easier way to see if the petrol is getting to the spark plugs? I imagine this is what the wd40 is for, but i am worried i am not getting it in far enough without the straw.

Sorry again for wasting everyone's times with stupid questions :)

Thanks

John

Edited by john-melbourne

Slo

Bugger! The trick with wd40 is because it is a spray rather than a squirt it wont flood the engine and wet the plugs, also the gas is extremely flammable so seeing as it wont fire or even kick shows you have an ignition fault or possibly loss of compression.