• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richard2005

New To 205 And Mechanic(Ing) - Resto Advice

GLPoomobile

Right, last (hopefully) numpty question relating to cambelt. Re-reading the manual as advised, and it suggests jamming the starter ring gear. Is this easy to locate as I can’t find other references to it in the manual. I’ve searched other forum posts and one suggest putting the car in 1st gear as this effectively locks the engine enough to undo the crank pulley bolt. Is this the route you guys take?

Text from Haynes:

Remove the clutch bottom shield. Have an assistant jam the starter ring gear while the crankshaft pulley bolt is undone. This bolt is very tight. Do not jam the pulley by means of the timing dowel: damage will result. Remove the bolt and washer.

Again, apologies for the stupid questions, but would rather be cautious than cavalier when it comes to potentially bending valves. Thanks for you patience :)

When I did the belt on my 1.6 I jammed the flywheel. Now bear in mind that this is going back quite a few years and I'm going by memory, so don;t take this as gospel. If I've got anything wrong I'm sure someone will correct me......

When you are under the engine, follow the sump along to the gearbox and at the bottom of the gearbox there should be a small metal plate by the sump, held on with 3 bolts IIRC. So IIRC I removed this plate and that gives you access to the flyweel. You then want to jam a beefy flat head screwdriver in between one of the teeth and the engine block or gearbox (you'll work it out when you're there). It might take a bit of fiddling to get the screwdriver to stay in place but once it's jammed it shouldn't move.

I hope I'm not giving bad advise. I'm pretty sure that's what was advised to me by other members when I planned mine.

Richard2005

Thanks for the advice Tom.

Thanks GLPoomobile, great description. Will help massively!

Richard2005

Got some time yesterday so tried the cambelt. Most things were rusted so fought all the way. The small screws holding in the inner arch plastic cover were shot - had to hack at the plastic to get it off (the bottom two mount points were already broken). Long story short; got the fiddly cam covers off, locked the fly wheel (thanks again for the tip) but couldn't get the crank pulley bolt off. Used penetration fluid and a breaker bar and still no joy.

Getting the plastic panel off did give me a chance to check the wing water pipe - defo needs replacing (pic).

I did change the oil, filter, replace the sump plug and copper washer. It looks as though the sump gasket is leaking slightly as oil accumulating and slowly dripping off the oil sender bolt. While the sump was empty I changed the copper washer on the sender bolt to ensure it's not that - after a drive still leaking.

I've checked on service box and called my local Peugeot dealer, neither of us can find the inner wing plastic panel listed. Do any of you guys know what it's called so I can get a replacement?

welshpug
UNDER ENGINE SHIELD 7213 67 NFP RIGHT - XU

PRESSURE NUT 6 X 100 - 16 - 13 6941 98
Edited by welshpug

Richard2005

Thank you. NFP - b*gger

welshpug

not necessarily, you need to ask if there are any left.

Richard2005

Have checked with my local dealer - none available there. Guess the only other option is a breakers. Is anyone on here breaking a car do you know?

welshpug

did they bother to check warehouse stocks?

Richard2005

apparently so. Though to be honest the chap didn't sound massively useful. I also asked him to look up the red stripes as these will need replacing at some point (looking tatty) - again he drew a blank.

Richard2005

Thanks Alex. Just logged my interest in a set.

cheesegrater

I have the correct flywheel locking tool which you are more than welcome to borrow. Means no wedging of screw drivers and a one man operation. Also if you haven't sorted your exhaust. Bring it up to Kamracimg and I'll weld a boss onto a downpipe for you which should sort your issues.

farmer

those under guard trays are all abroad am afraid.

Richard2005

Hi Cheesegrater - ended up taking the car to a garage to get the timing belt done. They had the getting the bolts undone. May take you up on the fly wheel tool next time though.

I have an exhaust with cat (and boss) on order. If there's anything wrong with this (wrong pipe etc) then I may well come and see you.

Thanks.

Richard2005

Thanks Farmer.

The original one is in place, just a bit of a state. May fashion a new tray out or tinfoil :)

Richard2005

Brief update:
The timing belt, tension roller and water pump were replaced by my local garage. Took them a few hours to get the crank bolt out - kinda makes me suspicious that it was changed in 2009...

Klarius exhaust was also fitted by the garage. Great fun this one as the middle section was a couple of inches too short. The garage cut and welded a collar so it sits correctly. The cat downpipe was also installed.

I had them replace the rubber brake lines with braded items from Hel via Kam Racing. More fun here as one of the rear hoses that go onto to calliper wasn't manufactured correctly and the hose was blocked. Hel replaced after a couple of weeks wait. The brake compensator was also replaced along with fluid. The garage also had fun with ceased bleed nipples. All replaced now.

New oil, oil filer and air filter installed.

I haven't replaced any hoses (or the metal water pipe) yet as, despite saying I want to keep this original, the need for more speed has crept in... I've only just started looking at options for the engine - looks like a replacement is the most economical route. Need to get a plan in place before I spend more money on things that will be binned (exhaust and front brakes spring to mind).

That said, the money spent so far is allowing me to enjoy the car (almost) worry free while working out what route to go.

No doubt I'll be asking numpty questions in the suspension section as any replacement engine will inevitably weigh more, so affect suspension options.

Despite wanting a car that's a bit quicker, it's great fun. Had a great 5am run down to Goodwood the other day :)