• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Clarky3rdNut

Self Harming Gti

jackherer

Sorry, I missed where you said you'd sorted it. The seat mount is something all 205 owners should be checking really, I was accelerating up a slip road a few years ago when my seat suddenly gave way and I lost control, somehow I managed to save it and I had to drive about 30 miles home holding tightly onto the steering wheel.

Clarky3rdNut

No probs. I'm grateful for any tips and advice ..especially if they could be potentially life saving!

To be fair to him, he's done a cracking job, seam welded the handbrake all around and reinforced the seat mount. Should hopefully last. The rest of the mounts seem good ..no cracking yet anyway.

Been doing a bit of thinking today and have come to the conclusion that it will be pretty foolish of me to put carpet down of top of knowingly damp underlay. I'll remove it next opportunity and give the floor a bit of a wire wheel. If holes appear, they'll have to be dealt with.

A bit of advice I have been given, since water must be getting past the window seals and potentially other areas is to remove the bungs from the floor and treat it to a good thick coat of hammerite. That way, if water gets in it has a slippery escape route

I guess it could also be easier to find leaks by being able to see where puddles begin to form in heavy rain.

Anyone think otherwise?

welshpug

use normal car paint, not hammers*ite :)

johnnyboy666

Oh dear, just spotted this, I'm glad the fire didn't get chance to properly take hold! I don't listen to the radio, and a while back I removed my aerial, sealed up the hole, filled and painted over it.

Clarky3rdNut

use normal car paint, not hammers*ite :)

Noted. Thanks, will do!

Oh dear, just spotted this, I'm glad the fire didn't get chance to properly take hold! I don't listen to the radio, and a while back I removed my aerial, sealed up the hole, filled and painted over it.

I haven't mentioned it yet but the amount of corrosion under my aerial is shocking! I'm certain it is where the water was coming through. I am tempted to follow your lead on this, at least for the short term.

mikeb cti

About 10 years ago I had a 205 Gentry with remote locking, I remember it did have an occasional drip from the roof console. Someone drove into the back of it, minor damage but it was written off. I bought it back from the insurers to repair, but it stood outside for a long time until I could find time to do it. Eventually I gave it a good clean with a pressure washer, fresh fuel and charged the battery, no problems and put it in the garage. A couple of hours later I went outside and smelt something burning, opened the garage door, massive backdraught and the car was an inferno. Car was destroyed, along with the garage which had to be demolished and rebuilt. I always wondered what the cause was but this seems to answer it.

I wasn't too bothered about the garage as it was rebuilt by the insurance and I made it 50% bigger. Was really gutted about the car though, it was low mileage with a mint full black leather interior !

Anyone with a 205 that has remote locking needs to URGENTLY check for any water leaks.

nveeate

I think removing the underlay is a good call - once it's wet it will stay wet, as it gets no air....hidden under the carpet and its plastic backing. If it's really manky just replace it.

Water obviously getting in at the roof as evidenced by the slight electrical mishap, but I'd check rear window seals etc for any other signs of where it's coming in. Perfectly possible to get these cars dry/watertight!

Clarky3rdNut

Just wanted to revive this thread to update and to ask for some advice/guidance/thoughts if I may.

So it's been a long time since the fire and subsequent discovery of sopping wet carpet underlay. I lifted the underlay to find the floor in a far from ideal state as shown:

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

I do apologise if the following offends anyone but all that was done was a thorough whizzy wire brush followed with lashings of red oxide, resulting in:

IMG_4866.jpg

That is pretty much how it remained. Seats back in, no carpet, no headlining, a rebuilt but leaky sunroof, cam belt change and service.

I have been using it as a part time daily since then. I have however, now hit a crossroads. One that I would appreciate some opinions on.

It has come to the point where the MOT and insurance is about to expire and I know I cannot continue to use it in its current state.

The engine is smokey and smelly. There is a strong smell of petrol now and again whilst driving. Oil and coolant spots appear wherever it is parked and the bodywork is extremely tatty with brown spots appearing all over the place.

Basically this is not what I want to be driving around in. I want a nice one.

To give you an idea of the general condition of the body, I took these when I got home today:

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9499.jpg

IMG_9503.jpg

IMG_9504.jpg

This car has had a neglected life. It has spent long periods of time exposed to the elements without being used by its previous owner and it is now really starting to show. I dread to think what the headlight panel looks like!

In honesty I have between £5k and £6k to throw at this. I can tackle the engine myself but the body would have to be dealt with by a professional.

Thinking about all that needs doing (based on lots of build thread reading), the underseal removed, lots of fresh metal welded in, the inner wings, front panel, probably replacement boot lid and bonnet, new paint all over ..etc.

I know a lot depends on what I could do myself but all I could manage would be stripping the shell and sorting the engine and wiring (although it seems that once you take an engine apart you can expect to find a knackered block!)

Anything that requires welding and paint would have to be done by somebody else.

Then there is all the replacement parts that would be required such as rear beam, complete suspension, mounts, bushes, fuel lines, brakes ..lots.

I never envisaged an immaculately restored example with new seals, trim, dash parts with all the clips in tact, galvanised nuts and bolts and an engine bay good enough to eat from. I would like to reuse and refurb as much as possible. I do have pretty much everything needed to put it all back together after all.

I don't want a car that I expect to be worth a fortune in years to come, I want one that is clean, original looking and good to drive that I can use when I like and maintain myself. Will this car ever be that? Or will I end up £5k poorer with a car in pieces. I just don't think the funds can stretch far enough.

So what are your thoughts? Be brutally honest.

Can it be done?

Or

Should I bin this one off and try to find one for the money in a much nicer condition? My concern is that rot is probably establishing itself on most that haven't already had work done by now.

welshpug

I'd stick with it tbh, you have nearly all the bits you need and a reasonably solid starting point

eddie bullit

Whilst you've taken the interior out get the glass out, strip it to a rolling shell and get it resprayed. looks a decent car with a little surface rust.