• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Clarky3rdNut

Self Harming Gti

Clarky3rdNut

Just a bit of background if I may.

Always wanted a GTI since my owing an XS as my first car back in 2001

Finally got hold of a neglected but late 1993 L reg back in December 2012 which required a little work to get it roadworthy.

Spent most of its time since ownership continuing its life as an algae gatherer until just a couple of weeks ago when I had done enough to get it through its MOT and give it the very long overdue wash.

Shortly after purchase..

39d7dca2-955b-4540-a7ac-ee3f80dae5ac.jpg

64f845ce-0ffe-4b77-a7f2-7aa3d4e1a6dd.jpg

I was extremely proud of the condition of my half leathers..

3deea157-4e6a-4892-9cb8-1a68e345d527.jpg

Things were going well. I enjoyed driving it and was in the process of sorting the cosmetics. I recently posted in the Wanted section for a pair of doors in original colour as I'm not sure where that drivers door came from!

Ad kindly offered me a door from his Rallye and I arranged to pick it up from him on Saturday.

However, the Friday before door collection, whilst in town having a few well deserved ciders and feeling rather chuffed with myself I got a phone call... "You'd better come home. Your cars on fire!"

Suffice to say, its not as bad as I initially envisaged but I am devastated!

The insurance company has been informed but I'm unlikely to proceed with the claim since this forum has definitely shown me that no matter what the damage, a 205 never seems to be beyond repair!

I'm going to blame the IR receiver for the central locking. Does anyone know if thats possible? I only discovered the original Plip worked a few days ago so started to use it. The fire started in the upper console but I'm certain I didn't leave an interior light on. Anyone else ever come across this before? Please bear in mind the fire was noticed at 8pm and the car had been parked up since 10:30am

So the aftermath...

Sunroof is going to be my biggest challenge...

093d257d-1e86-47f0-befb-6bd79dac8d43.jpg

ba6fb35d-b960-4f2b-904c-7db8268c846e.jpg

ddc6f766-a0a9-4582-983b-d870b1b39192.jpg

My beautiful seats. There's got to be plenty of spare bolsters for this side right?

34504688-cf65-4663-b348-8ddca1bfdec8.jpg

Handbrakes a bit of a mess too..

6dcf9616-decc-45a9-be48-048757e9d150.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

So the plan is to scrub everything, strip out roof lining and all destroyed parts. Sunroof can be taped up for the time being until I obtain the knowhow on how to replace it.

Most bits don't seem too difficult to get hold of but those seats :( I don't know what to do. I know there are plenty of impressive resto threads with advice on how to re-trim but my concern is the cost. Seats and sunroof are going to be costly and with the recent small fortune spent on getting it roadworthy, this could take quite a while!

Ever hopeful, I still proceeded to collect the door! Ad also helped me with a few other interior bits which will prove to be very useful.

Pugleyrich

I feel for you. Those seats looked great. Even if you got a replacement set, they won't look as fresh as those were. I'd be tempted to use them as they are until I had the funds to get a proper re trim. At least the gear knob was ok!

welshpug

I have some seats, not as clean as those though, not many are!

Also some very good sunvisors and the sunroof handle etc.

2052NV

OH MATE THAT SUCKS. I feel your pain as those seats were mint....

cRaig

Hi Matt,

Sorry to see this!! I should have a few bits in the garage to help you get it back in one piece, plus if you want any help getting any bits apart, you are welcome to bring it round and we can stick it under the carport and have a look :)

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

Henry 1.9GTi

I'll have to double check everything over easter weekend but I think (unless its gone down the scrap yard) that I have the sunroof complete with glass and all the m4 bolts. Should also have the trim for your handbrake cover as well as sunvisors etc etc..

I really can't remember where all this stuff may be right now but will get in the attic over easter and check. If I have it its yours free of charge if you want to collect.

Clarky3rdNut

Thanks for the responses everyone. You've made me feel much better already! :)

Ad has already furnished me with a pair of sun visors and a handbrake (lever only).

I really am gutted about the seats. I was thinking of rather than trying to replace the entire units, I could rebuild the bolsters. That said, I need to look at the frame of the drivers seat. There used to be something to click the seatbelt into! If I can replace that and nothing else is severely wrong then at least I can use them as they are for the time being.

Thanks for the offer Mei. I have seen your seats crop up in the wanted section a couple of times recently. Certainly tempting since you're only a short trip over the bridge. Can I bear you in mind? Obviously if you manage to sell them in the meantime then thats my loss.

Henry this sounds very promising! Many thanks for offering. A complete sunroof if you have it will be a massive help.

Hi Craig. Was going to send you an email about this but thought if I posted on here you'd see it!

I know you're incredibly busy at the mo but if you are available to help at any time, I will be eternally grateful.

I have had another quick read of SkyQuakes rebuild regarding his sunroof ..I can get all sorts of bolts, rivets and fixings etc. even those rivnuts from where I work. Could be useful!

Thanks for the link Nikica. I think that confirms for me that I will not be attempting to restore the original remote locking feature. For one it seems far too complicated to get a receiver to work with my Plip but mainly I wouldn't be able to sleep at night for fear of it all happening again!

Anthony

Bad luck, but at least the damage is repairable.

Shame about the seats though, as they looked very tidy.

I've seen and heard of a few instances of this happening (Retropug is another it happened to about 2-3 years back) and I believe the issue is down to water leaks which due to the design of the roof console means that water gets into the light and RCL receiver and given tat they're both live even with ignition off, causes a short and a localised fire.

I might be on the wrong track, but certainly several 205 RCL receivers I've removed have shown evidence of water damage, and it's well known that leaks around the aerial and sunroof will put water into the roof console which gets electrical bits wet.

welshpug

Not a problem Matt I think its a fair price as properly mint ones go for far more, though I'm open to offers, looks like your RH bolster would be ideal to fish up the drivers seat.

DO be careful with the melted stuff, it can be very toxic and carcinogenic stuff, looks like it was caught before it got hold thankfully.

I wouldn't be concerned about getting the CL working, there is a few permanent live wires in that area which can be easy to trap especially with the self tapping screws used to secure trim parts, add some dampness from various areas and its easy to see how it can happen.

GLPoomobile

As Anthony said, this has happened to a few members on here over the years. It's certainly got me worried enough that I'll be checking this area before I put my 205 back on the road, and doing whatever I can to make it water proof and ensure that all wiring is in good order.

Feel really bad for you though Matt. That damage would be gutting at the best of times but to have such mint leathers spoiled really is like having your cornflakes pissed on. But, every cloud has a silver lining.........so look at it this way -since they were in such good condition, if you can afford at a later date to have the damaged areas re-trimmed at least the nice new leather shouldn't look too out of place like it would if the rest of the seats were typically aged :D

cRaig

I would think about getting leather bolster covers and foams from Dave Hickman on here (dch1950 from memory). That way you can keep the rest of your really mint seats. Id be happy enough to help you swap over the bolsters, and covers, as I've done it a few times now. Drop me an email if you'd like to meet up for a chat, and for me to take a look, I'm only down the road after all!

more practically, if your sunroof is cracked, I've got a full waterproof if you need to borrow it?

cheers,

craig

iPlod999

With this issue coming up a couple of times recently and that I have a slight leak coming via the aerial base and that I do not have a fob to go with my central locking. And breath!

I have decided to tackle this issue just in case.

I have got access to the aerial base and will seal that back up.

I need to get the rest of the light cluster off so I can remove the circuit board and or the wiring.

How do I get the casing off?

20140408_174841_zpsaqnv9lov.jpg

Regards.

Edp

Gutted about the seats as said, they looked great.

Good luck with the project!

Clarky3rdNut

Thanks again everyone for your kind words of sympathy and for giving me lots of hope!

I will get stuck in Saturday morning removing the head lining and the destroyed plastic. Trace the wires back until I can find something worth working from. At least then I should be able to put together a complete list of the bits I need.

Thanks for the heads up Mei, I will pinch a mask from work. The interior is coated in soot and I don't fancy giving a lot of it a chance to lay in my lungs!

It's an interesting but worrying fault and I guess perfectly feasible now that you've all mentioned it. Water or moisture could have entered through the arial seal that's likely to have perished over 20 or so years. Particularly if the car hadn't been cleaned that often. Couple that with old live wires and it's a recipe for disaster. Not sure if it's any coincidence that I only started using the IR central locking just a couple of days before. I guess its pretty irrelevant now!

Craig, I have got in touch with Dave so I will wait to see what he says. Even if he can't help, I am assuming that decent LH bolsters are much easier to find than RH. When I do manage to source something I will be very appreciative of your re-trimming expertise!

I will email you in due course, it would be very helpful if you could give your opinion on the other bits and pieces if you ever get a few spare minutes.

cybernck

Perhaps it would be a good idea to isolate the receiver from any eventual contact with water?

Glen - it could also be the sunroof handle bolts that leak.

iPlod999

Ideally, I would like to take the receiver out. I have not use for it with no fob. I really don't mind using a key. ;)

Water comes through the interior light only during heavy rain.

I just can't work out how to take off the cover to get access.

Edited by iPlod999

Tom Fenton

Thanks for the heads up Mei, I will pinch a mask from work. The interior is coated in soot and I don't fancy giving a lot of it a chance to lay in my lungs!

It is contact with skin you must avoid, make sure you wear gloves. It is more rubber seals that you need to be wary if but I wouldn't take the chance.

Anthony

I just can't work out how to take off the cover to get access.

From memory, there's a single torx head screw behind the map reading light.

Remove that, unclip the sun visors, part open the sunroof release handle, and it'll pull away from the roof.

• Like 1

Anthony

Perhaps it would be a good idea to isolate the receiver from any eventual contact with water?

That's exactly what I did - basically gave it a squirt of WD40 to repel moisture, put the whole unit in a small freezer bag, sealed it at the wiring end and made a small hole to poke the IR receivers through.

Clearly it isn't fully waterproof and wouldn't take being submerged, but it should be splash proof and sufficient to prevent water ingress from a leaking aerial or sunroof.

• Like 1

iPlod999

Anthony.

Just had a look and it a normal cross head screw.

Wrapping is a very good idea.

Thank you.

Edited by iPlod999

Clarky3rdNut

Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to get something done whilst the weather was good, I rushed home from work today having managed to obtain some overalls, gloves and a breathing mask.

Wasn't really sure what I was hoping to achieve, but thought that if I could remove the headlining and handbrake surround, it would at least be a start.

Quickly realised that a set of Torx bits is essential if you want to do anything on these cars. Despite just having a rather small selection of screwdrivers to hand, I was wearing my overalls by this point and wasn't prepared to stop before I had began. A conveniently sized flat head screwdriver made short work of the Jesus handles. The same screwdriver proved equally as useful for removing the sun visors - acting as a lever to pry the tri-bolted bases from the roof :unsure:

Shortly after, I realised that removing the headlining doesn't take too long at all. Particularly when you're not worried about creasing it. Simply lift out from the rubber and trim and..

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

Unfortunately, in my hastiness, part of the inner sunroof fame came away with the lining..

IMG_4457.jpg

Determined not to slide back the glass and risk ruining the water tight seal created by the melted rubber and the glass just to remove the remaining bolts, I gave it all a gentle tug and it pretty much fell off..

IMG_4472.jpg

I'm pretty sure it could be repaired if necessary.

Apologies for the quality of the pics that follow. I was using the faithful phone camera which is not ideal for dark interiors against a bright sky.

I was feeling somewhat daunted by what I was faced with on the inside. It all looks a bit black..

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4488.jpg

Found some good wires and for a brief second, considered calling Peugeot Lioncare..

IMG_4484.jpg

I then turned my attention to the handbrake surround and other various lumps of plastic which had welded themselves to the once fairly clean carpet..

IMG_4479.jpg

I couldn't get it all off. Some of it was well and truly glued and ripped the carpet when I attempted to remove it so unfortunately it seems that I'm now also in the market for a replacement carpet. Don't suppose grey was a common colour in base model 205's too?

And that's really as far as I've got.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the work that's required to get this car back the way it was and can easily see how these full on restorations develop!

Realistically, I think I need to remove the seats and carpet next and wash everything. Then replace the sunroof before refitting anything.

Speaking of the sunroof, there is a rubber tube that disappears into the metalwork. I'm assuming this is the famous vacuum hose? It really doesn't look pleasant to have to replace. I'm now waiting for someone to tell me I need to dismantle the entire dash to access all of it :(

I'm not sure about the roof. I guess I need to clean it and that will undoubtably reveal burnt metal. Will it need to be treated or can I simply paint over it?

The only good I could find in todays work is that I think I'm going to get away with the passenger bolster. It's not too bad. Just needs a repair similar to what could be done to a cigarette burn. A kit like the one SkyQuake used in his resto could be the answer.

IMG_4492.jpg

As far as I can tell my shopping list now consists of:

• Grey carpet

• Headlining complete with sunroof cover

• Complete sunroof (Really hoping you can find yours Henry!)

• Handbrake surround in black

• Roof console in black

• Wiring for roof console - something I can make a neat job of joining to my existing wires

• Complete ariel and ariel lead

• LH bolster foam and leather

• Gear leaver surround in black (very minor damage to mine)

I will of course make use of the for sale and wanted sections as and when I think I can afford the parts.

There may also be some bits and pieces I can't think of right now.

I'll leave you for now with some pics of the remains. Upsetting to say the least..

Handbrake surround with added carpet..

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4493.jpg

And finally. I guess that this is the little innocent looking board that in hindsight, I should have protected. At least if nothing else, this thread may have alerted many to the devastation that can be caused unless precautions are taken. Bag it up kids!

IMG_4494.jpg

Clarky3rdNut

Progress has been made, albeit slowly.

Good news! It appears I do not need to replace the entire sunroof after all. I have been absolutely dreading that job so its nice to know I don't need to fire up the drill and start butchering rivets.

Seats removed and cleaned, carpet out and binned and the inside given a good scrub to remove the sooty deposes that covered literally everything.

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

After reading many many restoration threads on here, I was reluctant to remove the carpet underlay. I knew exactly what to expect. The underlay was going to be soaked through and rust in the rear footwells.

I had a peek which confirmed the above so played complete ignorance and flopped the underlay back in place.

That is basically the decision I've taken for now. Get car back to how it was and continue to enjoy it for what it is. I know from reading on here that the more you peel away, the more work you find. Besides, had it not been for the fire, I wouldn't be poking around in all the usual 205 rot spots.

As much as I'd love to get it all sorted right now, the plan was to always do a complete resto when I have the space. (Current apartment on the market as we speak ;))

Annoyingly, one of the drivers seat mounting points has cracked and the captive nut fell out. Decided to take it to my welding man to get that and this hand brake spot welded back in place

IMG_4682.jpg

Speaking of the handbrake, fitted a replacement handle whilst it was all easily accessible.

IMG_4683.jpg

Other than this, I've just been gathering various bits and pieces. Nearly there now. The sunroof handle has been cleaned, Platicared and fitted.

IMG_4703.jpg

Been using the car in its semi stripped out state for the time being which has been nice. Just a few more bits to collect and it can all be put together again.

Need to source some tubing to get the replacement inflatable sunroof seal working again.

Need the wiring for my new roof console. (Yes there is a transponder present - yes, I will be removing it! Save that for when I can be sure I'm totally watertight!)

Also need to source the sunroof trim. Side sections are fine but front is fairly urgent

F63C9639-5FA1-4F7A-9B11-A76F9A94D292.jpg

To be further updated soon ..hopefully!

jackherer

IMG_4682.jpg

The handbrake mount should be flat against the floor, you need to get that welded back down really.

Clarky3rdNut

Thanks jackherer, the handbrake and seat mount have been sorted.