• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m_john_m

Plasticare Trim Dye

2-Pugs

I was just about to buy some of the Gtechniq C4 stuff from eBay as I thought I recalled reading good reports about it. So do people here rate plasticare better or even to the C4? As the C4 seems extrememly expensive by comparison. I have the usual problem of faded black body plastics and I want to bring them back to life with something better than the usual Auto-Glym or back to black type temporary solutions which I assume effectively put a silicone layer on top of the plastic that then washes off in a fairly short space of time.

iPlod999

Once I apply Plasticare. I then use Auto Finesse Revive to protect on top.

http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/revive-250ml

Like I mentioned before. Over 2 years since the 1 and only time I applied my plasticare it still looks like it did on day 1.

GLPoomobile

C4 does seem expensive by comparison, but I assure you that a little goes a very long way.

Somebody mentioned on here within the last few days that they'd tried C4 on their 205 and weren't impressed with it's longevity. It surprised me as I've not heard that about C4 before, but in the world of 205s so far that's one example of C4 that wasn't very good, and lots of examples of Plasticare that are very good.

Andy101

I used 'Forever Black' on all my trim about 3 years ago and it still looks fresh. Never tried Plasticare so I can't compare, but I was very impressed with Forever Black. Comes with cleaner and the dye bottle has a sponge applicator so it's easy to apply. Anyone else used it?

m_john_m

I took the plunge and ordered some grey plasticare. Hopefully be here by the weekend so i can bring the old girl back to life.

I would have gone black but for the moment i want to keep it original, if i want to change them to black its easily done :)

Davy

What year's your car? If it's phase 1 or 1.5 then the grey plasticare alone might look ok, but if it's phase two then grey will look too light. You can mix black and grey Plasticare to get the shade you want. I messed about mixing test samples and finally settled on about 90% black for my phase 2 plastics...

..Here's the link.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=150815&page=2

m_john_m

What year's your car? If it's phase 1 or 1.5 then the grey plasticare alone might look ok, but if it's phase two then grey will look too light. You can mix black and grey Plasticare to get the shade you want. I messed about mixing test samples and finally settled on about 90% black for my phase 2 plastics...

..Here's the link.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=150815&page=2

its an F reg. 1988 i think off the top of my head.

i will see whats its like as i may mix like you have said. i hope it will be dark enough as i cba doing it twice.

i dont plan on taking the trim off either as i dont want to damage anything

GLPoomobile

If you're not taking the trim off, get yourself a roll of blue detailing tape and take the time to mask up. It's a pain, but you'd probably spend longer trying to be careful where you apply the Plasticare. At least if masked up you can just get stuck in, really work the plasticare right in to the edges, and not worry about being super careful, which makes the job more tolerable. You'll probably kick yourself afterwards if you don't mask it up. And you'll probably kick yourself if you use ordinary masking tape, as it'll just leave residue behind when you peel it off.

m_john_m

If you're not taking the trim off, get yourself a roll of blue detailing tape and take the time to mask up. It's a pain, but you'd probably spend longer trying to be careful where you apply the Plasticare. At least if masked up you can just get stuck in, really work the plasticare right in to the edges, and not worry about being super careful, which makes the job more tolerable. You'll probably kick yourself afterwards if you don't mask it up. And you'll probably kick yourself if you use ordinary masking tape, as it'll just leave residue behind when you peel it off.

Yeah I was going to tape up anyway. What do I do for the trim by the petrol cap?

Is the 1.9 gti just a sticker? Ops hold I tape this up aswel? I think the stickers are faded :/

timoth123

I started using the grey on a few bits like door handle and sunroof trims. Once dried I can't help but think the grey plasticare is still abit light for for the ph1.5 trims. I'm tempted to get a bottle of black and try mix a little in.

Bobbafett

I did mine a few weeks back. I found a small brush MUCH easier and gave a better finish than with a sponge.

• Like 1

m_john_m

what did everyone do when they came to the 1.9 GTI part of the grey trim by the petrol cap?

i seen that someone used a cotton bud soaked in IPA to quickly get rid of the residue onto the sticker.

Daviewonder

I just unclipped my grey bit.

iPlod999

Straight over the top and then wipe off quick. It does not stick to the red.

Disclaimer time. It did on mine anyway. ;)

jord294

I've just used C4 techniq on the 405s trim, and bumpers on a 18 yr old 106s bumpers.

Absolutely fantastic!!

If you make sure trim is clean first, then wipe over with the alcohol cleaner supplied, then apply C4, and buff off.

Can't fault it.

jonnyvandijk

I can't stand putting this stuff on, my red bumper strips generally look less red after every application.

Andy101

Can't you take them off and repaint them, easy weekend job, and easier to do the plastic without them on anyway, that's what I did.

happypatrol

Plasticare is good but requires patience and preparation otherwise it will end up everywhere and on your paintwork. Which is very hard to remove.

m_john_m

Plasticare is good but requires patience and preparation otherwise it will end up everywhere and on your paintwork. Which is very hard to remove.

What preparation? Cleaning/decontaminating

Daviewonder

I gave the bumpers and trims a once over with wire wool, it cleaned out all the crud and old polish that gets trapped between the textured bits.

iPlod999

Tried it this afternoon with a brush. Awful.

I'll stick to using a sponge.

GLPoomobile

What preparation? Cleaning/decontaminating

Yep. I'd suggest using some diluted all purpose cleaner (the domestic stuff, like Daisy or a supermarket own brand), scrubbed thoroughly, and then finish by wiping over with IPA/Panel wipe. You can wear down the texture on the rims if you scrub with a harsh abrasive, so be careful. I'd expect wire wool to be too harsh, but if it worked for Dave /\

The IPA/Panel wipe isn't essential. They're cheap and easy enough to get hold, and worth having, but if you don't have them it's not the end of the world. The cleaner the surface the better the end result will be, but Plasticare should still apply nicely without having to go OTT on the prep work.

• Like 1

m_john_m

Ok thanks for the help. Think I'm going to try and do it tomorrow. Weather permitting of odourless! Probs will be raining knowing my luck

2-Pugs

Based on this thread I bought some plasticare and just started the other day by doing the rear bumper. I'm very impressed so far, so thanks to all for the input, recommendations, application tips and other feedback :)