• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johniban

What Throttle Bodies

johniban

Starting to think weather i should ditch my weber carb set up in favour for some throttle bodies and management,

what systems are people running and what bodies have you got?

best and cheapest places to buy?

i inisially thought to run omex due to alot of people map it, but also emerald looks prettty good with there plug and play system, but then again my gti6 engine isnt wired in yet so what ever happens ill need to wire up a loom

rallyeash

If your asking what's the cheapest way to throttle body your car I'm not sure you should be doing it.

Without sounding blunt throttle bodies are not the thing to be done on the cheap. You want a proper loom, proper inlet, proper map and some decent well setup bodies like jenveys or Colin satchell ones.

It will cost £2000 to do it properly and the option to save money is to buy a second hand good condition set. Then your buying second hand which sometimes isn't cheap either long term.

There is no compromise for an individual map on your engine as there all different.

However I have DTA ecu, sandy loom, jenvey tb's, satchell long inlet, 8 injectors and an ITG filter

Edited by rallyeash

johniban

I was not asking for a 'cheap way to throttle body my car'

I know what i need, im simply asking what systems people are running, and wheres usually the best place to buy from.

welshpug

mef motorsport for a dta ecu, and the 45mm jenveys, get direct pull ones not linkage.

satchell engineering inlet manifold and FPR holder.

sandy brown for a loom if he's not too busy, or make your own loom.

that lot should get you a reliable 190 ish.

GilesW

Just as a bit of background - John is a professional mechanic, and having seen his car and the work he has done on it I think he'd quickly work out what's worth buying and not.

Good info on a source Mei.

Saved for next winters build.

Simes

Emerald and jenveys here on an mi16.

Installed by me. Mapping done by Dave walker.

I got all my bits. (Bodies, trumpets, tps etc) from Miles.

Choose the ECU that your mapper knows, mine does ;)

Check my rebuild thread.

johniban

mef motorsport for a dta ecu, and the 45mm jenveys, get direct pull ones not linkage.

satchell engineering inlet manifold and FPR holder.

sandy brown for a loom if he's not too busy, or make your own loom.

that lot should get you a reliable 190 ish.

thats the answer i was looking for, cheers for the reply, what do you mean by the direct pull ones?

johniban

Emerald and jenveys here on an mi16.

Installed by me. Mapping done by Dave walker.

I got all my bits. (Bodies, trumpets, tps etc) from Miles.

Choose the ECU that your mapper knows, mine does ;)

Check my rebuild thread.

how do you find the emerald to live with? do you have any problems?

welshpug

direct pull means the bodies have a quadrant on the spindle directly for the cable to attach to rather than needing to buy an £80 linkage kit.

johniban

oh yeh ok i see, thanks for the help :)

johniban

just had a quick look on the jenvey site, as i already have a dcoe inlet manifold it makes sence to get the dcoe jenvey throttle bodies, and a pair inc vat is £460 ish witch doesnt seem too bad, obviosuld have to by trumpets and linkage ect too.

whats the generall size people go for and do you know what the differences in sizes do? guessing the longer they are the more torque you get.

welshpug

that's plus vat, and you don't need a linkage.

most people go for the 90mm trumpet afaik, however I dont know how well the jenvey inlet fits in a 205 engine bay, I know its not great and doesn't allow a very long tract, hence the suggestion of the satchell inlet, which is proven to make more power and torque on a standard setup.

specifically how long the inlet needs to be depends on packaging, i.e what fits, and also what the engine needs, if the inlet is designed properly then the second part is easy, otherwise its a big compromise.

johniban

thats inc vat, they are £391 a pair ex vat,

i dont mean the size of the trumpet, i meant he size of the throttle bodie length and bore them selves, ive seen various gti6 lumps with 50mm bodies and some with 45mm.

also the length of the bodies there is 3 different sizes, i have seen a 205 gti6 on ebay with the small 90mm length ones,

ill have to look further into it.

doesnt look to bad of a price though comparred to the at power bodies that are over a grand

welshpug

ohhh, 45mm bore seeing as you have a standard engine, you'll only need to start looking at larger bore when you push them to 240+, I think even 280 is possible on 48's I believe from some of Sandy's 2.2 builds.

the standard 118mm bodies will suffice unless you get a nice long inlet then you could use the 91mm long ones.

welshpug

never seen a direct comparison on an XU engine but I know Sandy has done so on a TU race/rally engine where they did not perform so well

I believe he has mapped a few sets on various engines, tales of faffing with linkages and not getting full travel were mentioned, which is not good for something designed to be a direct bolt on kit.

that link is for a TU engine btw.

Simes

how do you find the emerald to live with? do you have any problems?

No problems.

It's been mapped once since it went on bodies, I've had loads of intentions to play with it (sort out cold start etc) but never bothered.

My jenveys are on 90mm trumpets (compromise) - had to cut the slam panel to fit and a bit of the bonnet reinforcement.

Like mentioned Sandy's inlet is at a better angle allowing for longer trumpets (more torque). Dave WAlker has variable tract length trumpets so that you can see the difference almost immediately whilst mapping.

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/emerald-adjustable-length-intake.html

Miles

Direct to head or with the injectors in the std position never makes good power bar low down in the Rev range, For example the longer 16v inlet makes another 10bhp peak on average over the std DCOE type.

As said in Eastbourne find your local RR to see what they like to map, Emerald is OK but takes a while to map as you need to save the settings first unlike Omex for example where the changes are all live.

johniban

Direct to head or with the injectors in the std position never makes good power bar low down in the Rev range, For example the longer 16v inlet makes another 10bhp peak on average over the std DCOE type.

As said in Eastbourne find your local RR to see what they like to map, Emerald is OK but takes a while to map as you need to save the settings first unlike Omex for example where the changes are all live.

There isnt really anyone local to me that does live mapping, the closest reputable place is atspeed racing in essex witch do omex. i dont mind traveling a bit further on if the place is decent.

What do you mean by the longer 16v inlet? what set up do you recommend?

welshpug

There's track and road in rainham, very good rep.

longer inlet is the Satchell one.

johniban

right well ill see if i can move on my carbs set up first and ill get hunting for parts :)

andy-mac

would not fit jenvey's as my mates mi16 only make's std power with them fitted sound's good thought :D

Miles

If it makes std power then something is clearly very wrong I'm afraid, In std form you should see a min of 180 bhp of a good condition unit. With reground cams and a 4-2-1 power goes to 200 give or take a couple.

For emerald there is a place in Portsmouth that are good, More into there VAG Stuff, Will post the name up when the old thinking caps back on

johniban

someone i know is selling a jenvey set up for a 106 gti engine for a good price, depending on the throttle size it may be worth a go for my gti6

welshpug

Not really, too much specific to the tu engine, better getting a kit from an xu engine, probably 40 or 42mm if they are dcoe even.