• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ian205

Best Running Gear To 205 Rwd Conversion?

Ian205

as above, just generally something iv been considering . what gearbox, reax axle etc would be best and has anybody done it ?

cheers

bondyshambles

It has been done....don't ask me how though...Honda engine maybe ??? Erm rear engine too though....In fact it might even be 4wd....Ready to be corrected as usual.

rearengine_zpsc6713501.jpg

Edited by bondyshambles

allanallen

Mazda rx8 front and rear subframes/suspension/diff, Honda s2000 engine on bodies with a hewland sgt box. Get cracking :P

Ian205

maybe abit out of my budget lol, iv seen a few with 1600 gti swift engine but that still doesnt explain what rear axle etc etc they are using . looking for front engined rwd conversion

welshpug

you'll make a fwd 205 handle far better than any rwd bodge up if you have a small budget tbh.

• Like 1

allanallen

A Suzuki swift engine? If you're gonna do it you'd surely start with an engine setup for north/south fittment?

What's all this budget bollocks about anyway? You asked for 'best'!

Mx5 is a good shout, rx8 stuff cost peanuts and is mega!

MiniGibbo

Speed and or handling isn't the main aim of these sort of builds...

Pure awesomeness is the aim of the game

Reebmit

I agree with Welshpug, if you've got a small budget stick to fwd. There are so... many options from 8v, 16v, turbo, supercharged, V6 etc.... there is no reason to go rwd if you can't fund a proper conversion. Don't get me wrong some of my favourite cars I've driven/owned are/were rwd but the 205 is famously known as one of the best cars in its class and peugeot must have done something right so why change its overall package. The closest thing I've owned to a mad 205 is an Integrale which was just brilliant, 4 wheel drive and short wheel base, just perfect. If I did do a serious 205 converion it would probably be 4x4 and cosworth powered, Ive done many many conversions of weird and wonderful configurations over the years but do feel the pug is best as it is.....but more power is a must....and reading some of the posts on this forum will sort the handling to perfection. ha ha, :D

I agree Matt, more an engineering challenge!

allye

There is a thread on the 306 forum, similar sort of thing a guy was asking about 4wd conversions. The conclusion was, which is relevant here, you'll spend a lot of money making it slower if you have otherwise spend it improving the FWD setup.

• Like 1

Ian205

budget is'nt really an overall 'make or break' issue,,guess i just got abit over whelmed when i read s2000 rx8 mashup, lol wasnt expecting it!

i am a fabricator by trade and get stuck into rally cars from time to time, but have never done any major reconstructive surgery such as this, i just want to gather as much info on pro's/cons as i can before i go spending the big ££££ ,

some ideas where kp60/corolla twincam engine/running gear, mx5 etc but most iv seen are different miss-matches of different engine/box and rear axle's

allanallen

Surely awesomeness includes being quick? Or are we all just a bunch of posey show off twats nowadays??

• Like 1

Reebmit

For me its neatness of any installation with ultimate performance/drivability. I think most us want the best performance we can get for the best price....there does come a point though that when you have done most of the normal conversions on cars its nice to do something really different and challenging...

MiniGibbo

Surely awesomeness includes being quick? Or are we all just a bunch of posey show off twats nowadays??

I live for the 'life style

rallyeash

What's the point of it isn't quick?? Surely that is the initial reason why you would build a rwd 205?

Ian205

you could make a quick 205 be it fwd or rwd, just looking for any if all options

rallyeash

You'd struggle to convert a 205 to rwd and make it quicker than spending the money devolving the fwd chassis. Unless your going to spend 20k or something

allye

A case in point would be Colin and Sandy's hill climb car. Their FWD 205 regularly beats single seaters and is known to make a Audi Quattro look silly!

welshpug

Quite, last time i saw it they were within 2-3 seconds of a reputed 650 bhp 4x4 puma.

MiniGibbo

Can't pull up to shows with the engine in the boot though...

'Just another 205 with no back seats and a 16v

rallyeash

Bit gutting when the 16v with no back seats comes past on the circuit though.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Needs to be a mid mounted V6 turbo like the Pikes peak car

MiniGibbo

Who cares if it's faster.. That's like owning a starlet because it's faster than a Ferrari.....

allanallen

Who cares if it's faster.. That's like owning a starlet because it's faster than a Ferrari.....

I'm confused! Either your Internet sarcasm isn't working or you're a max power numpty? :P

Do you have a starlet that's faster than a Ferrari?