• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Exhaust Options

dobboy

Hi, was wondering if someone could advise the best option for me on my 6 conversion.

I have a full new standard exhaust on my 205, no cat or lambda.

I have a decat 6 down pipe with lambda, and a middle section that came with the 6 engine.

I also have a spare new 205 down pipe (without the split down the centre.)

I've got access to a good welder/fabricator, and don't intend to do any major engine mods.

What exhaust would be the best fit to a modified manifold?

Thanks in advance.

dobboy

Can nobody help me here?

DanteICE

I'm sure someone can. Hold out fella, beginning of January can be a little hectic for some people, just let them get back into routine and they'll be back on the forums in no time.

allanallen

Easiest option in my eyes would be to modify the 6 decat pipe to fit and mate it up to the standard 205 system that's currently fitted.

welshpug

personally I'd sell the 6 decat on if its a decent one as they'll fetch a decent price, and mod the 205 downpipe, add a lambda boss (very cheap off ebay)

Spiky

As welshpug, that's what I did, and is fine for gti6 engine

dobboy

Thanks all, at least I know both can be used.

Think I'll see what looks the best fit when the engine is in and take it from there.

Thanks again.

shalmaneser

I've got a modded standard downpipe (although a cheap one with no split in it - a better bet for the gti6 engine) and a stainless back box.

I'd have thought a standard back box would be a bit restrictive for a gti6 engine?

allanallen

If it's the 2" system it'll be fine for a 6 engine

petert

If you've got GTi6 pipes then you should be using the GTi6 down pipe. It's a 4-1 system and doesn't have a centre divider, which would otherwise upset the scavenging process. Mi16, 205 etc are 4-2-1 systems, thus the centre is important in that process. Also, the flange diameter and bolt spacing of the GTi6 down pipe is larger than the 205 pipe, so it's a bit of a bodge to make it fit anyway.

dobboy

Petert, thanks for that info.

The new 205 spare downpipe I have doesn't have the divider, so I thought it would be ok, with only the flange angle having to be changed. But if the bolt/flange set up is different it's looking likely my 6 exhaust will be best bet.

I also have the 6 middle section.

The engine and exhaust etc I bought was supposedly already in a 205, but when it arrived the manifold hadnt been altered, and the loom was a disaster.

I assumed the previous car must have had bulkhead modded.

I'm a bit nervous tbh, and crossing my fingers that the engine isn't a bag of nails as I've spent a bit of time and money getting it looking half decent and gathering all the stuff required for conversion.

I bought the engine from someone, who had received it as payment for work done from someone else, so who knows what it runs like.....if it even runs.

I wonder if anybody on here would recognise it and tell me it's healthy or not, the paint job on the plastic cover over coil packs was quite distinct.

I'll need to have a closer look at the 6 middle section to see if it has any signs of previous mods, i take it some chopping/modification would have been required?

dobboy

Thanks all for your input/assistance.

petert

I wonder if anybody on here would recognise it and tell me it's healthy or not, the paint job on the plastic cover over coil packs was quite distinct.

Give it a compression test. Easy to do on the ground with just gearbox attached and starter motor.

rikky

I'm about to look at my exhaust too. I've got a boss to weld into the downpipe and will just be running the standard (2") 205 exhaust aside from that. Hopefully that'll suffice

dobboy

Give it a compression test. Easy to do on the ground with just gearbox attached and starter motor.

Petert, that's a bit easier said than done for me..... the gearbox i want (need) to use is still in my 205.

I tooks some pics of what exhaust parts i have, the newer looking part is my spare (non-split) 205 downpipe, the other parts (which have several welds here and there and came with my 6 engine) look as though they might even be stainless steel?

I also have a full new standard middle and end section in my car.

I never measured the 6 stuff nose to tail but could the 6 stuff actually be a two piece exhaust?

If i use this 6 downpipe, it looks as though it will be a foot short of reaching my 205 centre box.

I also see that the lambda is in at an angle, i'm sure i read somewhere (on this site) that it should be perpendicular to the flow? does this really matter?

post-23841-0-11622200-1389032903_thumb.jpg

post-23841-0-28050000-1389032905_thumb.jpg

post-23841-0-35110500-1389032907_thumb.jpg

dobboy

I'm about to look at my exhaust too. I've got a boss to weld into the downpipe and will just be running the standard (2") 205 exhaust aside from that. Hopefully that'll suffice

Ricky, have you got your engine in and now need an exhaust to suit?

welshpug

looks like a rather crude cut and shut decat using the front part of the original downpipe and some rather small straight pipe in place of the cat.

lambda position is fine, its original and like that due to space constraints.

306 uses a 3 piece exhaust, like the earlier 205's, of which you also have the early downpipe, the later ones are welded directly to the centre silencer unless they're cat equipped.

Edited by welshpug
  • Like 1

dobboy

Thanks welshpug.

Would the best option for me be to get the lambda and flange off the 6 pipe put on to the 205 pipe?

Miles

The 3 piece 205 system is far too small for the 6 engine, You need at least the Phase 2 system

rikky

Ricky, have you got your engine in and now need an exhaust to suit?

I've got the engine in but I've kept the old exhaust (mine's a phase2), which is a downpipe joined to the centre section - all 2" - doesn't look like your normal cut and shut though, so I'm going leave as it is hopefully and stick a standard 1.9 backbox on there

I didn't realise there was a difference between systems - cheers Mei for clarifying! Sounds like mine is like this then from factory. But I'll be cutting it anyway I guess to make it fit the new engine

Edited by rikky

dobboy

I've got the chance of a fairly cheap GTI6 exhaust excluding the downpipe (which i already have a few options for).

Is it any use to me on a 6 conversion?

Thanks in advance.

welshpug

As in a 306?

dobboy

Welshpug, the exhaust i can get is from a 306GTI6.

Is it any use to me for my 205GTI6 conversion?

TIA

welshpug

no, far too long and bulky, you need a phase2 205 exhaust and modify your downpipe.

• Like 1