• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobbafett

1.9 Gti Running Very Rich, Low Mpg

Anthony

Coolant should be half way ish up the expansion tank.

And yes, that lambda is very broken and will no doubt be screwing fuel economy. It should be connected to the main engine management loom somewhere in the vicinity of the battery - from memory it's two 2-pin JPT (injector style) plugs on the 205 Motronic cars.

Bobbafett

Excellent. Maybe i've found the culprit finally. Possibly the engine management light too?

There are some crimps about 20cm from the sensor, maybe someone has changed it before. But I see you can buy 2 versions, 1 with crimps and 1 with 2 2-pin connectors. See if I can get hold of one tomorrow and fit it.

Thanks!

MikeC

Try and get a genuine one with the right connector. Crimps would not help the situation either. Btw you can't solder them either.

Bobbafett

I got a genuine one with 2 connectors, black and blue. The connectors are only ~30cm from the sensor itself though, and cannot see any plugs for it to go into?

DamirGTI

The wiring for the lambda sensor is routed down the left chassis leg and connects the sensor just about in the middle where the chassis leg ends/meets the floor pan ... jack it up and you'll see the connection from underneath , if someone didn't chop them off should be there .

D

Bobbafett

Nice one, will try and fit it at the weekend. Also got a new fuel filter.

There is now a rubbing noise coming from the cambelt area. Guess it's the belt rubbing on the cover? It's booked in the garage for a belt change on Wednesday so am not driving it until then now this rubbing has started.

farmer

The covers warp over the years and foul the belt.

Tom remakes a bottom cover in stainless.

DamirGTI

If it's metallic kinda sound , could be worn timing belt tensioner also .. definitely be careful and best not drive it until you find what's wrong/replace the belt . For proper service best to replace the lot - timing belt , tensioner and water pump .

D

Bobbafett

If it's metallic kinda sound , could be worn timing belt tensioner also .. definitely be careful and best not drive it until you find what's wrong/replace the belt . For proper service best to replace the lot - timing belt , tensioner and water pump .

D

Yeah the next time it is being driven is to the garage on Wednesday morning. Not taking any chances.

Sounds like a belt rubbing on something to me. If I push the top cam cover away from the head it stops.

Edited by Bobbafett

welshpug

so it's the top belt cover that's causing it then, pretty common as it happens, often a fiddle to get it to stop rubbing but it's never on the belt itself.

Bobbafett

Just had 20 mins so went out and took the top cover off. Noise stopped. Noticed the top cover was warped in on one side a little bit so heated it gently with my blowtorch and bent it out. Back on and noise stopped. Results!

Changing the lambda and fuel filter tomorrow and then Wednesday she's in the garage for new cambelt, tensioner and water pump. Glad i'm not doing it, it looks bloody tight in there. Then week after the bonnet and roof are being sprayed to get her looking in top form!

dcc

Cambelt is easy on these engines!

Bobbafett

I've wanted an actual mechanic to look the thing over anyway so getting a garage I know to do the cambelt etc allows me to get them to check other stuff at the same time. There is also an oil leak coming from the distributor seal so they're going to do that as well, as well as check the mixture etc.

chipstick

Where in Somerset are you?

chipstick

I see you've already booked it in, but for future reference an honest place I'd recommend is Worle Autos :)

Bobbafett

Yeah I know Worle autos. I take my van to a place called Formula 1st who have always been good for me but i'm being a bit more careful with the Pug because it's old and I worry about it haha. Taking it to a garage I know who are very very good but on the pricey side. But, only the best!